Shooting through an aquarium

TimW77

"I read a book on the frogmen of WWII... ...one of the things I recall clearly was the commentary of being able to catch spent small arm slugs underwater with their hands while swimming not just all that deep at all."

Yeah right,:rolleyes:

The diver is being shot at while swimming for his life and instead he stops to catch the bullets...:D

Sure...

T.

briandg

Kilimanjaro, they also addressed shooting fish in a barrel once.

First, they researched what sort of pressures and shock would be necessary to rupture a fishes organs. Then they built a mechanical fish with built on sensors. The fish was set afloat in a drum, the motors were turned on, and the fins started moving. They fired into the barrel. After a series of shots, they decided that one cannot kill a fish by shooting a barrel.

I wonder. The issue isn't shooting at fish, the issue is SHOOTING them.if you shoot a fish, it's going to die, barrel or no barrel.

I wish I could post Ed Zern's essay on shooting fish in a barrel. He was a genuine scientist.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Over the years they've demonstrated an elementary lack of knowledge about firearms that leads me to believe anything useful they produced was largely accidental.

Denis

briandg

I concur. In fact, I feel a lot more strongly about it. They once tossed a bag of black powder, probably a few pounds, into a locked up cement truck to see if the explosion would shake the tons of concrete in the drum loose. If ever the showed themselves to be a bunch of pandering doofuses, that hit the mark. They asked out loud

"can we blow up tons of hardened concrete with a paper bag of incredibly low yield explosives?"

Anyone, yes anyone with a bit of background in any of those fields would know that all they would get was a big flash and maybe a good boom. But in general, they don't exactly aim their work at the genius level individuals, they are trying to get ratings by getting the attention of the people who need to be told that a pistol fired into a barrel of water won't kill a risk just from the shock wave. Gee, they could have put a wad of ballistic gel. With a bunch of egg inside and. Tested the idea.

FrankenMauser

briandg said:
Franken mauser, brilliant. I wish you had shown the bullet and describe the velocity. I'm interested. A lot of t cast bullet designs would do well in this test. I've known all along that jugs at intervals would be very different than a solid wall of. Water. The impact woul create a cavity that wouldn't perform like a solid mass of water.
Test velocity in the video was 1,470 fps. Later testing ran up to 1,955 fps.

There have been multiple versions of the bullet with minor variations, but they look the same (except for v. 2.1, which had an engraving band on the nose). Weight ranged from 427 gr to 437 gr. The 437 gr version is nick-named the "One Ounce Suppository."

These are the best photos I can find of the bullet:

I don't know which version this was.
(Pure Linotype, used as "micro-ingots" when mixing custom bullet alloys.)

attachment.php

Loaded in .444 Marlin, with a Hornady 265 gr FP for comparison. I believe this was the very first version of the bullet, with an oversized nose. All later versions had nose diameter decreased slightly.
The slight frost of the alloy looks like it was a custom mix intended to be close to clip-on wheel weights, and was cast with the mold just a little too warm - but I don't know for certain.

attachment.php

FrankenMauser

What I find ironic is that I spent about 5 weeks studying every photograph that I could find of cast bullets that suffered nose-shearing in tough game. I compared before-and-after pictures, calculated shear angles, and really tried to use math to design the bullet. I wasn't trying for extreme penetration - just reduced fragmentation.

But, in the end, it is essentially a Postell design with a slightly longer bore-riding bearing surface and a flat point.

(Though this was done in water jugs, here is an example of the nose-shearing I have metioned: RD 432-350 @ MarlinOwners.)