Shooting technique question

Harry Callahan

Good morning everyone. I bought a Browning BDM the other day and finally got a chance shoot it at the range. While I LOVE the feel of this gun I did notice that it seems to shoot just to the left. I'm thinking it's probably me doing something incorrectly(anticipation, grip, pull, etc.)but I was wondering if someone could tell me what the likely causes are for shooting left, right, high, and low are so I can diagnose if the problem lies with me or the weapon. BTW, sometimes this happens with my other guns as well. Maybe it's just a question of me getting better acquainted with the BDM?:confused:

rellascout

That target is for one handed bullseye shooting if I remember correctly. It is not corrective for two hand shooting.

Lurper

If you are right handed and consistently shooting to the left, the most likely cause is too much finger on the trigger. This causes your finger to push against the right side of the gun moving it to the left.

buckster

Kinda like playing a guitar

You use just the tip of the finger, and pluck it. Being a bass player it works for me. Have you had a trigger job yet? That makes a big difference. Keep practicing different methods, not every body is the same, Pull up the www.the cornered cat how to cure a flinch. There is also a target you can use to tell what your doing.

Mike3030

question

I had read an article by Massad Ayoob where he recommends gripping the pistol so tight that it trembles, and having the joint of the index finger on the trigger. That did not work well for me, shot placement was lousy and it didn't feel comfortable. I watched the 2 video clips above, and tried gripping and shooting the gun that way. It made a big difference in the shot grouping, and the gun was easier to bring back on target after a shot. Is there any benefit to gripping the gun in a 'death grip', or is it just a matter of what works best for the individual shooter?

Edward429451

A death grip helps nothing, neither does too loose of a grip. There's a happy middle ground, actually closer to loose then tight than lets the gun recoil and if done properly, the gun returns to the exact point that it was when triggered. Think about driving your car and how you grip the steering wheel. You dont death grip it and are able to stay in complete control. Same thing with a gun.

Brian Enos Explains it real well in his book "Shooting Fundamentals". He takes up where Lurper's video leaves off (and the other vid) and talks about driving the gun, looking through the shot (follow through), and paying attention to your shooting. Can you call your shots? If not then you're not paying attention and following through, wasted shot. Don't think about anything when you're shooting, just pay attention (stay focused) and when you make that A hit, you'll know what was required in grip & stance to do so because you just did it. Each shot should be a learning experiance.

Lurper

Edward
Yes, that is me. Thanks for the compliment

Mike3030
I am going to stir up some comments by saying this, but that is the best technique for everyone. The devil is in the details and the problem is that most people don't learn it properly. It is also counter-intuitive to what many of us are programmed to believe. We are programmed to believe (by writers, friends, instructors, etc.) that we can control the gun through strength, we cannot. I was taught that originally back in the 80's by Ray Chapman. The next year, Plaxco and Shaw taught me how to shoot more relaxed, then Leatham and Enos took it one step farther. The difference is night and day.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Your body performs at its peak when it is relaxed. So you will achieve your peak performance when you learn to perform the way your body wants to. It's the same when using a hammer, learn to let the hammer do the work and the job is much easier. Many people refuse to believe it, or they learn the technique improperly and dismiss it. Like any other sport, look at what the top performers do and you will see that they all use the same basic technique with minor variations.

Jaycolo

lurper has a point let the gun do the work for you like bowling or golf you want thr ball in bowling to bring your arm forward and the same with the golf swing in away

Magyar

We are programmed to believe (by writers, friends, instructors, etc.) that we can control the gun through strength, we cannot.

Sure you can, or you will be limp-wristing....I think Massad Ayoob has it right about a real tight, white-knuckler grip...Of course, some of you guys still shooting with the BoMar ribs, Magna-Porting, compensators, heavy match-grade barrels, slick triggers, light loads bordering on the ridiculous causing misfires: looks are deceiving....Enough about all this self-promotion...
Why don't you tell the guy the simple truth: he's pushing, anticipating the next shot...;)

nass

Try these analysis targets

Try these from ammoman.com... I had a crappy copy and just found the source. They may help.

Right Handed
target_right_sm.jpg

Source - Rt Hand

Left Handed
target_left_sm.jpg

Source - Left Hand

Best bet is to right click on the "source" link and "save target as...". It will be a big file that you can print to any size you'd like depending on your photo software.

Trapper L

Shooting from bags there are few that can get even close to me for accuracy at 25 yds or more. My offhand shooting sucks. I get a death grip and I put my right hand in my left like the left hand was a cup. I don't shoot groups at 25 yds, I shoot patterns. My little brother has just recently decided I needed to learn how to shoot better offhand. His technique is exactly like Lurpers to the letter. Bro can shoot any of his 1911s at or near 1" groups off hand at 25 yds. Must be something to it. I shot my Kimber 1911 22LR conversion this weekend with bro's help. While not benchrest accurate, 4" groups at 25 yds was a bunch better than I've ever shot offhand. Might wanna give ol' Lurpers video a try yerself. Works for me.