Shooting is Not Always Fun

Rob228

Put some new glass (Vortex 1.75-5) on my Winchester 94 Timber Carbine the other day. Got it dialed in yesterday. 25 rounds of .450 Marlin out of a 5 pound rifle takes the fun out of it. Next range trip is nothing but .17HMR.

Last three shots were touching each other but I'm worried that I was consistent in flinching. Don't want to go back and check the zero.

Pahoo

Had enough one day ???

Been thar a time or two and the last time, a fiend of mine askee me to check out his 300WinMag. Gave me a full box of ammo. Shot six rounds to confirm and called it a day. I even added extra padding. ..... :eek:

Kind of like the monkey, wanting to get friendly with a skunk.

"Had enough of this stinking thing, for one day !!!"

Be Safe !!!

cslinger

Were you shooting at anything trying to kill you?
Did you come back with all your fingers and eyes un-injured?
Did any of the guns blow up?

If you said no to these questions then shooting is always fun. :)

stagpanther

If you said no to these questions then shooting is always fun.
I went shooting yesterday with my 338 06 build--first shot jammed, couldn't figure out why, turns out the little BB extractor broke. That wasn't fun.

jmr40

I sold all of my guns that aren't fun to shoot. We've got people killing elk at 1/2 mile with 243's. Not that I approve of the practice, but it does prove that we don't need to get hit with 30-40 ft lbs of recoil to kill stuff.

Chipperman

Pus a limb saver or another type of pad on it, or wear a padded vest.

If it hurts to shoot, either fix it or get rid of it.

cslinger

I went shooting yesterday with my 338 06 build--first shot jammed, couldn't figure out why, turns out the little BB extractor broke. That wasn't fun.

Would you have preferred going to work? :p

epl1007

Remington 870 with Hornady SST slugs. Clobber the hell out of you luckily didn’t have to shoot it much because the zero was right on

stagpanther

Remington 870 with Hornady SST slugs. Clobber the hell out of you luckily didn’t have to shoot it much because the zero was right on
Fire some heavy shot magnums or big bore rifles and then sst's won't seem so bad.;) That's what I do when the cringing starts--fire something bigger and then drop back down and it won't seem so bad.:)

JJ45

Put some new glass (Vortex 1.75-5) on my Winchester 94 Timber Carbine the other day. Got it dialed in yesterday. 25 rounds of .450 Marlin out of a 5 pound rifle takes the fun out of it. Next range trip is nothing but .17HMR.

Last three shots were touching each other but I'm worried that I was consistent in flinching. Don't want to go back and check the zero.
I have the same "fun" shooting my 30-30 carbines, 336 or 94 punch me a little more than you would think a 30-30 would. I think it's the stock fit because these carbines are not as light as they appear...sweet handling though.

But once I get them dialed in with what I'm going to hunt with then the fact that they are unpleasant to shoot a lot at the range is a moot point. I never feel recoil with any rifle when shooting at game and hopefully only one shot :)

Pretty sure your Timber Carbine is mainly a hunting gun and not something you will fire a lot for the fun of it.

GeauxTide

Yep, I bought an 1895 in .45-70 a few years ago for hogs in the woods, loading 405 LFN @ 1500fps. I considered myself pretty recoil insensitive after 50 years of shooting, but I couldn't catch up with the recoil velocity of that 7.5# Marlin. Sold it and bought a 450 Bushmaster AR. Recoils like a 20ga shotgun and throws 250s @ 2200fps into one hole.

Japle

See my thread - .450 Marlin Bolt Action.
Years ago, I fired one round (that's ONE) from a lever action 45-70 with a steel buttplate while wearing a T-shirt. That was plenty.
I'm not at all sensitive to recoil, but I am sensitive to pain.

TXAZ

See my thread - .450 Marlin Bolt Action.
Years ago, I fired one round (that's ONE) from a lever action 45-70 with a steel buttplate while wearing a T-shirt. That was plenty.
I'm not at all sensitive to recoil, but I am sensitive to pain.
I’m laugh/grimacing with you Japle.
I’ve gone through 100+ rounds on my Barrett .50 BMG in a day, no soreness or issues.
Then I put the suppressor on(which kills the muzzle brake).
First shot dead nuts on target and a loud “.... ... .... “came out of my mouth.
I thought a mule had kicked me in the shoulder. Figuring I must have held it wrong, I remounted the weapon, flinched like a newby and totally missed the target, loudly screaming from the kick (the impolite version of ouch).
That night I looked and had a nasty bruise.
Anyone need a Barrett QDL suppressor? :)
(Actually I let the tough guys shoot it. None has made it to shot #2)

Last edited:

Scorch

Kind of like my acquaintance from New Zealand. Whenever he comes to the US for a visit, he wants to go shooting, so I get to be the host for a fun-filled afternoon. But he never paid for ammo, so I got tired of being the host. Last time he asked if I had anything interesting to shoot. 223? No, got one. AR? No, got one. 7X57? No, not interested. 308? No, got one. 444? No, not into cownoy guns. But it's not a cowboy gun, it's in a Mauser 98 bolt action. Weighs 6 lbs with the scope. Really? OK! So he sits down behind the bench, fires 2 rounds and gets up and walks away. When I asked him what's wrong, he points at the rifle and says "I've had enough of that!" :D

Chipperman

I’ve gone through 100+ rounds on my Barrett .50 BMG in a day, no soreness or issues.
Then I put the suppressor on(which kills the muzzle brake).
F

hmmm....
I've never really thought about that. I wasn't planning on getting a suppressor for my .50 anyway, but now I definitely won't.

stagpanther

I thought a mule had kicked me in the shoulder. Figuring I must have held it wrong, I remounted the weapon, flinched like a newby and totally missed the target, loudly screaming from the kick (the impolite version of ouch).
SHUT UP AND TAKE THE PAIN!--sgt Barnes.:D

T. O'Heir

"....450 Marlin out of a 5 pound rifle..." That it will, but it weighs 6 whole pounds. The .450 Marlin is nothing more than a rimless .45-70. A 6 pound Marlin is the same as shooting .45-70 with 70 grains of BP and a 405 grain bullet out of a 6 pound TD Carbine. That was long before there was an internet to tell me Carbines used 55 grains of BP. I still have stretch marks on my shoulder.
One of the guys who came into the shop years ago was from South Africa. His smallest chambering in his rifles was .338 Win Mag.
A Barrett .50 BMG is built with felt recoil in mind.
.30-30 carbines are like that. Light weight with a cartridge that has lotsa recoil for the size. CH
Chuck Hawks thinks all .30-30's have 24" barrels and weight 7.5 or 8 pounds. A 170 grain bullet at 2200 FPS gives 11 ft-lbs out of a 7.5 lb 24" rifle.