Shooting from a rest questions???

Pahoo

rtpzwms

My wife uses a rest all the time to help her steady her aim. I put a bi-pod on the barrel of my pistol. With the bi-pod in place I can produce a one hole 3 round group at 25 yards, a half inch or better at 50 yards and a 1.25 in group at 200 yards. I should add that this is a scoped, 14 inch barreled pistol.

Walt Sherrill

Penultimate as in super, mega, ultra, meta ultimate.

That's what the word "penultimate" seems like it ought to mean, but that is NOT what it means.

It means next to last, with the last one being the ULTIMATE one.

People also think "pristine" means, spotless or very clean, when in fact it means in, in effect, "original condition." (A fresh cow patty could be pristine and NOT be spotless or clean...)

C0untZer0

^ I know

And the editor of Merriam Webster doesn't think much of me...

OK, IMO the Ransom Master Series is the ultimate rest for reducing operator variables.

Marquezj16

Gunny - are you standing behind a shooting bench when using your rest?

I've only shot off hand. I was thinking of trying a rest to see how much I can improve by using that as a baseline.

Thanks for the input so far.

Casimer

I've never gotten very good shooting from a rest. My supported groups are actually better when I simply stabilize my hold using a post, PPC style.

Walt Sherrill

OK, IMO the Ransom Master Series is the ultimate rest for reducing operator variables.

Yes. For steel-framed guns.

You need someone with a steady hand and good eye for the polymer guns.

It's not generally discussed, but when using a Ransom Rest, the gun isn't generally adjusted after shooting starts. No resetting of sight alignment, etc. The only human interaction is to press the lever that activates the trigger -- which could be done by a robot.

That's why a metal framed-gun can work with a RR, and a polymer one can't.

Last edited:

C0untZer0

The other thing I've decided to do is buy a drummer's adjustable stool. It's called a drum throne actually.

Because the ranges in my area have all different heights for their counters. Some are at belt level, some are higher...

I was actually looking into getting the Tama Road Throne for doing my bench shooting at indoor ranges, and for my kids too.

Right now with my kids we're doing only bench shooting anyways, with pellet pistol and air rifle. So when we move up to rimfire, I want it to be from bench also.

The kids have so much going on trying to get the front sight level and in the middle and when they make it level it's not in the middle, and when they get the sight in the middle its not level... and thats before they even start to pull the trigger.