Shipping guns via Gun Shop?

After the sale, when entering info into the A&D book, it's too easy to overlook a gun that doesn't have it's own form
I don't see how, unless a dealer is incredibly sloppy in his record-keeping. If I sell two or more handguns in a five-day period, I have to file a multiple sale report anyway. There's no real way to miss something like that.

dogtown tom

You aren't a dealer are you?

Snyper
Quote:
Name one of those ways it makes it easier.
If the gun is stolen, and you need a copy of a 4473 for proof of ownership.
A Form 4473 isn't "proof of ownership" in any way. Whoever told you that is ignorant of what a Form 4473 is or does. It is merely a record of a firearm transaction between a licensed dealer and a buyer. Surely you understand that a subsequent sale by the original buyer to another nonlicensee does not involve a 4473?:rolleyes:

...it's easier to find if it's the only one on the form...
Horsehockey.
I transfer 2,000+ guns a year on about 1,700 Form 4473's..........that's 300 less 4473's to look through.
Multiple 4473's for the same transaction is the mark of an idiot dealer or a fool. Multiple 4473's for the same transaction are clearly not a best practice and only increase the opportunities for the dealer to make a mistake or omission. Heck, ATF even gives five spaces on the form and tells the dealer in plain English in the instructions to attach extra sheets as needed.

The Form 4473 instructions state:
...if more than five firearms are involved in a transaction, the information required by Section D, questions 26-30, must be provided for the additional firearms on a separate sheet of paper, which must be attached to the ATF Form 4473 covering the transaction....
Does that in any way sound like ATF wants the dealer to use five separate form 4473's???????

When ATF calls the dealer for a firearm trace, the dealer doesn't start by looking through his 4473's........that's bass akwards and would take longer. A dealer starts by looking in his bound book (record of acquisitions and dispositions). Once he finds the entry for the firearm (ATF will tell him the approximate date of acquisition from the previous FFL) the dealer merely looks at the date of transfer to the buyer, then finds the corresponding 4473. Guess what?............there's the firearm in question on line two! Amazingly it wasn't difficult at all.

I've yet to meet another FFL that wants to have MORE 4473's to keep on file for the next twenty years.:D

After the sale, when entering info into the A&D book, it's too easy to overlook a gun that doesn't have it's own form
Huh?
If that's "too easy to overlook" then you have no business being a licensed gun dealer.

Your IOI certainly would not overlook the missing disposition because there will be a big blank space where the dealer was supposed to enter the buyers name, NICS transaction number and the date of disposition.

Snyper

A Form 4473 isn't "proof of ownership" in any way. Whoever told you that is ignorant of what a Form 4473 is or does.
It's proof the person on the form bought the gun, so yes, it is accepted as proof of ownership for many purposes

Does that in any way sound like ATF wants the dealer to use five separate form 4473's??????

I don't recall saying anything about what the ATF wants

Maybe instead of calling me an idiot you should learn to read, since this is what I stated:

While you "can" have multiple guns on one form, it's really easier in some ways for the dealer to do one for each firearm.

When ATF calls the dealer for a firearm trace, the dealer doesn't start by looking through his 4473's........that's bass akwards and would take longer. A dealer starts by looking in his bound book (record of acquisitions and dispositions)

Once again, I never said anything about "ATF"

If a CUSTOMER needs a copy of a 4473 for insurance purposes, or to show police he owned the gun, you need to find the 4473 for that ONE gun.

Multiple 4473's for the same transaction are clearly not a best practice and only increase the opportunities for the dealer to make a mistake or omission

You can do your business any way you please
Others can also do the same, and your agreement isn't required

I don't see how, unless a dealer is incredibly sloppy in his record-keeping. If I sell two or more handguns in a five-day period, I have to file a multiple sale report anyway. There's no real way to miss something like that.

If it's rifles there are no other forms required.
Maybe you never make a mistake, but humans often do

I've yet to meet another FFL that wants to have MORE 4473's to keep on file for the next twenty years.
I'm quite certain you haven't met them all

dogtown tom

Snyper
Quote:
A Form 4473 isn't "proof of ownership" in any way. Whoever told you that is ignorant of what a Form 4473 is or does.
It's proof the person on the form bought the gun, so yes, it is accepted as proof of ownership for many purposes
No, it isn't.
A 4473 does not show who paid for the firearm....only the person who RECEIVED the firearm. This time of year, it is very common for someone to buy a gun at Bud's (or other online dealer) and have it delivered to a relative or friend who lives in another state.

While YOU may have the belief that it's proof of ownership, ATF does not.;)
Funny, but I've yet to meet a dealer who gives a copy of the 4473 instead of a receipt when someone buys a gun.

Quote:
Does that in any way sound like ATF wants the dealer to use five separate form 4473's??????
I don't recall saying anything about what the ATF wants
Maybe instead of calling me an idiot you should learn to read, since this is what I stated:
Quote:
While you "can" have multiple guns on one form, it's really easier in some ways for the dealer to do one for each firearm.
Well..........first, you make an assumption that its easier for "the dealer" to do multiple 4473's. Clearly ACTUAL DEALERS disagree and more importantly ATF disagrees. And second, while YOU didn't mention ATF.......maybe you should have.

Quote:
When ATF calls the dealer for a firearm trace, the dealer doesn't start by looking through his 4473's........that's bass akwards and would take longer. A dealer starts by looking in his bound book (record of acquisitions and dispositions)
Once again, I never said anything about "ATF"
True, I'm sure that's because you aren't a dealer and don't know zip about the instruction on the Form 4473........that's the ATF Form 4473.;)

If a CUSTOMER needs a copy of a 4473 for insurance purposes, or to show police he owned the gun, you need to find the 4473 for that ONE gun.
And all that will show is that the transferee received that firearm from a licensed dealer on XX/XX/XXXX.............it doesn't mean the person currently owns the firearm.

Quote:
Multiple 4473's for the same transaction are clearly not a best practice and only increase the opportunities for the dealer to make a mistake or omission
You can do your business any way you please
Others can also do the same, and your agreement isn't required
True, but ATF is quite clear as to how to list ALL the firearms from a single transaction on ONE 4473. Seems to me my advice coincides with ATF instructions wouldn't you agree?

Quote:

If it's rifles there are no other forms required.
Maybe you never make a mistake, but humans often do
That quote is from Tom Servo's post, not mine.
Are you aware that some states are required by ATF to report multiple sales of certain rifles? I live in one.

And I agree, humans do make mistakes, but your one gun per 4473 idea is the easiest way to make a mistake. Seriously, you expect a customer buying three guns to complete three 4473's? Come stand in a dealers shoes for an hour before you try and pass that off as a way to make things easier on the dealer.

Quote:
I've yet to meet another FFL that wants to have MORE 4473's to keep on file for the next twenty years.

I'm quite certain you haven't met them all
Well shoot....I thought common sense would be infectious. I suppose all those FFL's that want more 4473's are hiding in a closet.

Suppose you prove me wrong........can you find ONE FFL who wishes he had MORE 4473's to store for the next twenty years?:D

Last edited by a moderator: