Shipping guns via Gun Shop?

Mastrogiacomo

Quick question, when you want to ship guns out for work via the local gun shop rather than directly using FedEx or UPS, you pay the shop a fee for the shipping service. When the work is done and the gunsmith returns the firearm to the shop, do you pay the shop again to have the guns transferred to you - or do you just pick them up? I'm not sure how this works but I was under the impression that you just pick up the guns. Thank you.

Laura

Mastrogiacomo

Well I had my guns shipped back to the FFL since I wasn't sure when it'd arrive and I work out of state. I was just surprised that I had to pay twice - to ship the guns from the shop and to get my guns back from the shop. I really thought once you paid the shop to ship them to the smith that you just pick them up when they return. Obviously I was mistaken.

If it's a handgun, it's often easier and cheaper to have an FFL handle the shipping than deal with FedEx or UPS.

That said, make sure to work out all the fees beforehand.

Mastrogiacomo

That's why I sent my handguns via the FFL, I just didn't want to go through the hassle and because I knew if they were returned during the work week, I probably wouldn't be around. I didn't want the "sorry we missed you" notes - or worse, them delivering the guns to the wrong address. I just wish the shop told me at the beginning that when I picked them up that I would again have to pay to have them transferred back to me.

riflemen

This hobby is different that others in the respect that when your guns are handled and transferred from one place/person/owner/ect certain rules and restrictions apply. So its really necessary to have a relationship with a local gun shop, this means throwing them a bone, buying a couple guns off of them, building a relationship, ect. Then in the case of an outside transfer you will be ablle to say, "hey I am sending this gun to a smith" and in most cases when you found a decent shop they will take care of you... My local shop just has me print the shipping labels and bring it all in boxed up, they don't charge me anything to do the transfer, in or out, or when I buy a gun, but I am respectful about it, I won't buy a gun they have in stock or available to them from outside their shop, just because its cheaper, and in most cases I will show them the price I can get and they take care of me, match it, but I eat the tax...

So it seems like this shp is all about getting as much money off of you as possible, find a different one and move on...

Also next time, if you can not deal with a local smith, get the shop to tell you exactly the costs, chalk this one up to "live and learn"...

PS- Some shops are NOT internet friendly, some guys think the internet and gunbrokers destroyed their business, and it could be accurate but in any business you have to adapt to new market atmospheres, some guys are just not on that wagon yet and want to punish anyone not on the same page as them...

Mastrogiacomo

I'll know what questions to ask now....just a smack in your face lesson to learn the hard way. The only good thing is my guns are back and soon I'll head to the range. Thanks for the feedback.

Laura

DPris

Member Emeritus
When you ship via an FFL, he has to log your gun in.
When he ships it out, he has to log it out.

The gunsmith, manufacturer, or whoever, has to ship it back to whoever shipped it to him/them.

If YOU ship, the gun can be returned directly to you at your front door per federal regs & policies.
In some LOCAL areas, this may not be permissible & the gun may have to be returned through an FFL.
Some companies, like Ruger, insist on returning guns through FFLs as a matter of policy. They are NOT required to, but do so across the board.

If your FFL ships, the gun will be returned by the smith or maker TO THE FFL who shipped it.
If returned to the FFL, it'll again have to be logged in when he gets it & logged out when you pick it up.
You do a new 4473, even though the gun has actually been yours the entire time.

Since the paperwork takes time, your FFL will typically charge a handling/processing fee beyond the initial shipping costs. The FFL may or may not charge again for processing the gun through to you when it comes back.

Can be less hassle with an FFL shipping it out, can be more hassle. Depends on your circumstances.
Denis

625cnd

Shipping Handguns
FFL to FFL can use USPS and take advantage of USPS flat rate shipping and insurance of course.

Non FFL (you) can ship common carrier (FEDEX or UPS) to FFL/Gunsmith at next day air prices and insurance.

FFL/Gunsmith can return a gun direct to you via common carrier (FEDEX or UPS) via appropriate means.

Even paying transfer fee with the reducted cost of shipping is probably cheaper. Considering NON FFL's must submit their packages at UPS or FED Hub not UPS store or Kinkos...

SaxonPig

Anyone can ship to an FFL. Not all FFLs understand this and some refuse to accept from non FFLs.

A gun sent for repair or replacement can be sent directly to the smith or manufacturer (see above) and may be sent directly back since no transfer of ownership occurred.

A dealer can ship a gun for you but he will charge you. IME most FFLs don't want to bother with this service as it doesn't pay enough to be worthwhile. A dealer can receive a gun for you (required if you are buying the gun from out of state) but he will charge you. This is the "transfer fee" you hear about. So if you have an FFL ship a gun for you and then receive it back for you then yes, he will charge you twice as these are separate services. Prices will vary wildly for transfer service based on location. Around here $15-$20 is the norm. My buddy in CA says it costs him at least $80 due to the anti-gun environment making the costs higher.

Only FFLs can mail handguns. UPS and Fed-Ex give me so much grief and charge so much to ship pistols I use a local FFL who has a storefront and regular hours (handy and convenient) but only does transfers. No inventory. For $30 total he ships a handgun for me. Saves me dealing with the idiots at the shipping counter, avoids hassles from FFLs who won't accept from non FFLs, and is cheaper in the end given what UPS and Fed-Ex gouge for shipping pistols.

Mastrogiacomo

I appreciate all the info. I had never used a shop before to send guns out for work so I never encountered this. I felt he was very fair and helpful getting it all together and sending it off and it was much easier than dealing with FedEx or UPS directly. But now that I know the whole cost factor, next time, I'll probably request that the smith return it to me directly so I'm not hit twice. I'm a little surprised that gun shops near me don't mention on their website that there's a fee to mail guns off and to transfer them back to the owner. I think if more people knew that, they too might opt to skip the gun shop.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Again- if the FFL SHIPS, the FFL GETS IT BACK.

If YOU ship or mail & there are no local prohibitions, YOU get the gun back.

The gunsmith will return it to whoever ships it.
You don't decide who it comes back to.
Denis

Mastrogiacomo

I'll probably send it myself next time. I think this whole experience has made me realize why people skip the shop. I just thought it was absurd to have to pay to collect my own guns....but now I know better.

laytonj1

I'll probably send it myself next time
Wait till you see what that will cost you!!!
Sold a handgun on gunbroker, shipping overnight (required by Fedx and UPS) with insurance from Alabama to California was $103.

Shipping thru FFL (they can use the post office) is almost always cheaper.

Jim

DPris

Member Emeritus
There's time, effort, and paperwork for the FFL both ways.
Not unreasonable, since they're in business to make money, to charge coming & going.

Many do, many don't.
Depends on the shop & your relationship, as mentioned above.

It's expensive to ship via FedEx & UPS.
You CAN MAIL long guns, much cheaper & they come right back to you.
Denis

WVsig

Wait till you see what that will cost you!!!
Sold a handgun on gunbroker, shipping overnight (required by Fedx and UPS) with insurance from Alabama to California was $103.

Shipping thru FFL (they can use the post office) is almost always cheaper.

This is often true and makes 100% sense when selling a gun Getting custom work done on your gun is a different story becauseif you are getting the gun shipped back to you the FFL will often charge you upon return because IIRC they have to log it into their book. If you have a good relationship with the local FFL then you might not get charged.

I have had FFLs I used all the time and they would not charge me.

Lots of people complain about shipping UPS or FEDex because of the hassle but I have never had an issue. I always preprint the label follow the rules hand it to them at the depot and off it goes.

Last edited:

Mastrogiacomo

I think it's often a win/lose situation. I've never once stepped foot in a shop that didn't charge me for a service so I envy anyone that has that kind of relationship. I have sent guns off myself but between the clerks getting all hyper on me and the delivery service missing me more than once, I got fed up enough to use the shop. I'm not bashing the man, he was good to me. I just think from a financial point of view, had he told I'd be charged to transfer them back to me, I could have planned my money better.

Laura

WVsig

I think it's often a win/lose situation. I've never once stepped foot in a shop that didn't charge me for a service so I envy anyone that has that kind of relationship. I have sent guns off myself but between the clerks getting all hyper on me and the delivery service missing me more than once, I got fed up enough to use the shop. I'm not bashing the man, he was good to me. I just think from a financial point of view, had he told I'd be charged to transfer them back to me, I could have planned my money better.

When ever I drop off a pistol for shipping I bring a copy of the UPS or FedEx regs so if there is any question about the process the answers are right in front of us. :D

I have never had to use them.... ;) I think a lot depends on the area you are in. In some areas it is no big deal and the people at UPS or FedEx are gun friendly. In other areas not so much.

DPris

Member Emeritus
It does depend on your situation.
Boston does not work in your favor, to begin with... :)

Out here in the Wild West, if I have to pay to ship a long gun it'll go through the PO & only once have I had to educate a clerk there about her own regs.
If I have to pay to ship a handgun, it's FedEx. Less hassle, for ME.

Denis

DPris said:
When you ship via an FFL, he has to log your gun in.
When he ships it out, he has to log it out.

The gunsmith, manufacturer, or whoever, has to ship it back to whoever shipped it to him/them.
I thought an FFL didn't have to log in a firearm unless it was going to be in his possession overnight. They can't skip logging it in if you drop it off at noon and the FFL takes it to the post office at 4:00 p.m.?