Shield without safety coming soon

keithdog

Just came from the S&W website, and it's official. On August 1st or before, a new Shield will be released without and manual safety. While this does not really concern me as I love my Shield and have no issue at all with the thumb safety, I know there are many in here who dislike a thumb safety on their guns. Glock fans for example. ;) So now, you have a new option. :D

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Oruglock

I like thumb safeties. I wish my fullsize M&P had one. You can order them with one, I just didn't know that when I bought mine.

keithdog

I like thumb safeties too Oruglock, especially the Shields which is rather inconspicuous, and easy to switch off. But for those who don't, this is good news.

gc70

keithdog said:
Just came from the S&W website, and it's official.

Really? Please post a link.

It is certainly strange that the product has a 5-digit SKU when all other S&W firearms have a 6-digit SKU.

JERRYS.

I don't want a thumb safety on such a gun as this, but what impresses me is that we will have a CHOICE!

I might be in the market soon for another smallish 9mm, the PPS, Shield, and Nano are on my list. I like the Shield because its smaller and less expensive than the PPS, but has a thumb safety. this might be the game changer I was looking for.

my ccw guns are as simple and as similar as possible, as "revolverish" if you will; point and pull the trigger, no gizmos....

Wishoot

I have no problem with safeties.

If you don't like it, don't engage it. The safety on my Shield is always off.

Uncle Malice

I didn't have an issue with the safety as it was, but this will be even better, since I wouldn't use it anyways.

That's about the only thing I ever heard people whining about on the Shield anyways.

"I really like the gun but I REFUSE to carry a gun with a safety... *sneer*"

Well there you go.

Actually, I'll definitely be picking one of these up, myself. :)

wnycollector

It looks like I will be picking up a Shield now. I fall into the camp that prefers no safeties on CCW's. I blame all those years of carrying a J frame revolver for souring me on safeties.

TunnelRat

"I really like the gun but I REFUSE to carry a gun with a safety... *sneer*"

Yup, I'm one of those guys. I don't want to use a manual safety and if I'm not incorporating it into my practices I don't want to carry a firearm where there's even the slightest chance it could engage.

Uncle Malice

Yup, I'm one of those guys. I don't want to use a manual safety and if I'm not incorporating it into my practices I don't want to carry a firearm where there's even the slightest chance it could engage.

Don't you have and occasionally carry the HK 45C? Did you convert it to decock only or something?

TunnelRat

Don't you have and occasionally carry the HK 45C? Did you convert it to decock only or something?

Yup, bought the detent plate to convert it for exactly that reason.

I like the Shield I owned with the exception that mine actually did have the recall problem. Other than that I like it better than the XDs and the PPS I tried. I'm starting to consider re-acquiring an M&P 9c and a Shield. I think of the striker pistols the M&P line is my preference and it'd be nice to have examples of the type.