Shield Safety Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecoast

It seems like the ones that are "fine" would still have the same propensity to someday not be "fine".

I would have the same question. Does a pistol which is "fine" now have the potential to go to an unsafe condition in the future either from round count, wear or dirt accumulation?

This Safety Alert applies to all M&P Shield pistols manufactured before August 19, 2013. We believe this condition is largely limited to recently manufactured M&P Shield pistols. However, out of an abundance of caution, we are asking all consumers of all M&P Shields manufactured before August 19, 2013 to immediately inspect their pistols for this condition.

While the symptom seems to be clear (plastic tab not reappearing), I don't see any description of the cause. If it was a manufacturing defect on some of the tabs, that should be noted.

Webleymkv

Originally posted by spacecoast
While the symptom seems to be clear (plastic tab not reappearing), I don't see any description of the cause. If it was a manufacturing defect on some of the tabs, that should be noted.

If the issue was a design/wear and tear problem, I'd think that it would be more common in older guns which would be more likely to have seen more use and thus more wear and tear (the exact opposite of what seems to be the case). Also, S&W seems to be a very liability-conscious company and if they'd identified a potential safety issue in the design of the Shield, I'd think that they'd either pull the model completely off the market or upgrade all of their pistols with a redesigned trigger unit such as Ruger did with the SR9. Because of these factors, I'm inclined to think that the issue was probably caused by a batch of bad parts rather than a design problem.

Ozzieman

Identified a condition
We believe this condition is largely limited
However out of an abundance of caution
I wonder how much the lawyer cost to come up with that useless information.
What is wrong with the gun? Design, manufacture, assembly or wear (short term).

Gunkooker55

My Shield

I have 2 Shields 9mm & 40 both have safties I do not use them. I do wish S&W would make a safety lever sticking out more like a 1911

O4L

Link didn't work for me.

I had a Shield for a couple of years and never heard of a safety issue.

I think this is OLD news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.