Sheriff wants to conduct their own bankground check

The license is not shallissue as far as I know. You give notice to CLEo so he has the opportunity to contact ATFE if he has a problem with you getting it. He probably can't demand you provide it, but he might call ATFE and tell them he isn't so hot aout you getting it. I don't think you have any legal recourse if he wants you to jump through a few hoops.

jrinne0430

The license is not shallissue as far as I know. You give notice to CLEo so he has the opportunity to contact ATFE if he has a problem with you getting it. He probably can't demand you provide it, but he might call ATFE and tell them he isn't so hot aout you getting it. I don't think you have any legal recourse if he wants you to jump through a few hoops.

The only recourse is that I don't do it. It is not required by law and the Sheriff does not approve of disapprove my C&R FFL. He can tell the ATF that he is not "hot" about me obtaining it however; since I will pass the background performed by ATF, there is nothing to stop me from obtaining the C&R FFL. Honestly, I have no problem with providing it but I am concerned that they will use this and other tactics to harass. As I stated earlier, their initial response was this was manditory, which it is not.

If there is ever a state or federal law requiring to submit to another background check (which makes no sense since it will bring up the same info as the ATF check), then I would have no issue.

I still have not received a response from VCDL. Though I do not expect them to necessarily take any action, I would like at least a courtesy response.

noelf2

I'm rather surprised that VCDL hasn't responded. They normally are pretty good about getting back to inquiries like this.

Well, they used to be but something has changed. They should be on the horn with sheriff Jett and asking what the heck he thinks he's doing. They should be publishing this issue in the VCDL email update.

jrinne0430

I still have not heard back from VCDL (3 emails and 1 phone call). I will update next week to let you know if I hear anything. If I don't hear back from them, they will have one less member.:mad:

noelf2

Send them this whole thread. Inform them that a forum moderator advised you to contact them. Advise them that they are losing credibility.

jrinne0430

What new concern about the ATF? They are not the ones asking the sheriff to run his own back ground check. The problem coming from my own county is what has me upset.

JERRYS.

if you don't like the sheriff that can change on election day. you are stuck with the batfe in whatever fashion the federal government wants to use them.

noelf2

if you don't like the sheriff that can change on election day. you are stuck with the batfe in whatever fashion the federal government wants to use them.

:confused: You can also change how the BATFE operates on election day. You do understand that he isn't, and said he isn't, having any problem with the batfe, right? Please explain why that's his bigger concern at the moment. :confused:

jrinne0430

Received and response from VCDL...bottom line, unless it is required by law, it can be ignored. They will send out a warning to everyone on their VA-ALERT distribution list telling them about the "request" of the Stafford SO.