Share your .327 Federal Mag load data

Sevens--"Brass or nickel?"

Brass. Loaded nice. Length was very consistent. Put a nice roll crimp on the rounds. Am using Redding steel dies. Have to use case lube but the dies work nice.

There was no case sticking or primer damage on any of the rounds today.

I get into a rut and have a hard time changing things. Every new gun takes a few hundred rounds for me to get a handle on shooting the thing. The two loads that shot good for me were the milder loads. And by the time I got to them I had already shot 50 rounds or so from the Ruger. It was a good day, and the results were encouraging. Had hopes that one of the 327 Fed Mag hand loads with the 100 gr XTP would shoot good and have enough wallop for self defense. The wallop part is right on. I can learn to shoot the gun with enough time.

The "new gun syndrome" is something I have lived with for years. I shot a 44 mag first today and was drilling out the bullseye with it. Then with a new gun I kinda sprayed bullets all over the target for a little while. :D

Rusty W

I've been loading/experimenting with the .327 off & on for about a year. Mostly off because I just don't have time to sit down & get serious about working up the best load/loads. I cast bullets from a custom mold that I purchased from NOE over on www.castboolits.gunloads.com. There are so many combinations possible w/this mold it takes a lot of time to figure it out. Gas check, plain base, flat point, & 3 different depths of hollow point pins. Then there's lubes, I use White Label Lube because it's cheap, easy, & works. I've used Bull Shops Speed Green, & Speed Green w/carnuba, they also work great. Here's a couple pics of targets I've shot at 25yds, sitting, w/my elbows resting on my knees. I have another "Keith" style mold in the works on a group buy, but it may be awhile before I get to try it out.
I also have shot the 85xtp and have seen over 1800fps on the chrono w/it, accuracy wasn't that great though. I shoot the 100xtp around 1400 and still maintain accuracy, I've seen 1600 through the chrono with it.
Believe it or not it shoots 32 longs pretty darn accurate. I use about 1.5grs of Trailboss with a Lee 90gr SWC. Makes a big POP & recoil is nonexistent in the blackhawk. I've about settled on 3 powders for the .327, AA#9, 2400, & H110. I've used CCI 500, WSPM, & even WSR (yes rifle) for primers and can't tell much difference in any of them. The main thing I've noticed is case length, if they vary so will my accuracy and velocity. I trim the all to the same length. I recently purchased some from Midsouth and upon measuring them they vary 1.192 to 1.1938, out comes the trimmer...when I get time.

Attachments

• 08-11-11_1846.jpg
    08-11-11_1846.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 01-15-11_1616.jpg
    01-15-11_1616.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 133
Cartridge OAL

For 327 Fed Mag with 100 gr. xtp = 1.452

Seated so the case rim was nearly to the top of the cannelure. IMR web page recommends 1.450

FrankenMauser

Thanks guys!

And, Rusty... I know what you mean about the .32 S&W Longs out of the Blackhawk. They are so pleasant to shoot (like .22 Short out of a rifle), and I haven't found many loads that weren't accurate. I'm hoping they'll be just as fun in the GP100.

How did the American Eagle 85 gr stuff do? I haven't had a chance to pick any up, yet.

Rusty W

I didn't have the chrono set up for the AE ammo. It was the first box of ammo with a brand new gun and I couldn't wait to shoot it. The battery was dead on the chrono anyway. Got a house full of batteries, AA, AAA, C, L44,357, CR2032, CR 2025, CR 2016, even a motorcycle battery or two, think there's a 9V in the house? Nope.

I don't really pay much attention to book spec. COAL. It's a suggestion to me but not the final word. I put the bullet where it fits/works the best.

In working with the 32mag in a single six, a fellow on another board suggested a load combo I tried. Using H110, fill the case to the base of the bullet, weigh the powder charge. Subtract one grain and use a small rifle (yes rifle) primer. It worked so I tried the same with the .327 and compared the charges I came up with, with data I've found in Handloader & online, it came close so I started on the low side & worked up. I lost a couple cases due to splits so I stopped. Never got sticky extraction, just split cases. The industry standard says the case length is 1.20, I've yet to find one that long, but I only have about 500 on hand.
Here's an article I gathered some information from. http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom-Harton327.htm
It was a tough decision between the GP100 & the Blackhawk. I have both already, the GP a .357 and the Blackhawk a .45 convertible. I shoot single action 90% of the time so I just went with the Blackhawk. I may wind up with a GP in the near future though. I really like the .32's. Easy to load for, easy on powder & my lead supply. The .327 is a great little round, people should really just give it a chance.
http://www.sixguns.com/range/327Federal.htm

Attachments

• 01-25-11_1123.jpg
    01-25-11_1123.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 72
327 loads with Unique

Last night went to the indoor range. I like Unique. Use it for 38 special and 357 and 44 special. So, since there doesn't seem to be any data for the 327 Fed Mag using Unique, I just jumped off the cliff and made up some stuff. the loads I settled on were as follows: WARNING! THESE LOADS ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY ANY MANUFACTURER AND MAY NOT BE SAFE IN YOUR GUN!!!
100 gr XTP
Rem 7 1/2
Fed Brass
Unique 6.0 gr.

Same deal except 6.4 gr. Unique

The firearm used is a Ruger SP101 with 3 inch barrel. The loads sounded hot and felt good. The load with 6.4 gr shot just under a 3 inch group at 7 yards off hand (which is good for me---made me smile). Primers looked fine and no cases sticking. Couldn't use the chrony inside. Someday I will get to the outdoor range and chrony these and post the results here.

The more experience I have with this caliber and revolver, the more I like it.:)

FrankenMauser

From Handloader issue 274 (October 2011), "Magnum Revolver Loads with Alliant Power Pro 300-MP", pages 20-23, we have a little bit of data.

.327 Federal loads were tested in a 7.5" Sparrowhawk.
No OAL is stated.
Code:
Bullet                   Charge (grains) - Velocity (fps) - Primer   -    Case      -   Velocity Spread (fps)
90 gr Sierra JHC                 13.0         1,451          CCI 550      Federal              47
         "                       14.0         1,498            "             "                  37
         "                       15.0         1,554            "             "                  77
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
100 gr Speer JHP                 12.5         1,331            "             "                  30
         "                       13.5         1,400            "             "                  37
         "                       14.5         1,460            "             "                  32
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
115 gr Speer Gold Dot            12.5         1,301            "             "                  55
         "                       13.5         1,402            "             "                  50
         "                       14.0         1,436            "             "                  48

At first glance that data is a bit disappointing (to me - compared to my 5.5" Blackhawk). But, a statement within the article shows that this particular Sparrowhawk is producing slow velocities with factory ammo, anyway: "Incidentally, PP 300-MP is the only powder I have tried that made it possible to duplicate and exceed .327 Federal Magnum factory loads..."

I take that to mean that the 115 gr Gold Dot load is exceeding factory velocities in this Sparrowhawk (though still short of my Blackhawk's 1,480 fps - oddly).

So... if one of us has a wild hair looking for an anal orifice to enter... PP 300-MP may be worth a shot.

Sevens

Heh... I have another thread going about that powder.
Not everyone in the thread is as impressed as I am with the numbers Alliant says they can get with .357 Mag using that new powder.

I see that the guys at Handloader are using a magnum pistol primer... Federal/Speer uses small rifle.

Did we ever determine if a small pistol primer is the same thing as a small rifle non-mag primer? It's not the flame intensity/burn duration, it's the more robust primer cup that the round is asking for.

Thanks for sharing this data! But did they include no other data worked up with other powders?

And did you send Handloader an e-mail about who they fellated to get those Sierra 90 grain bullets?! :eek::D

FrankenMauser

But did they include no other data worked up with other powders?

And did you send Handloader an e-mail about who they fellated to get those Sierra 90 grain bullets?!

What you see is what you get.
The article covered Magnum revolver cartridges, with the experiment based solely around PP 300-MP. (.327 Federal, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .454 Casull)

I had that same thought when I saw that bullet in there, as well. Apparently, it pays to be a butt kisser ... err... gun writer.

Did we ever determine if a small pistol primer is the same thing as a small rifle non-mag primer? It's not the flame intensity/burn duration, it's the more robust primer cup that the round is asking for.

I never got a clear answer on the CCI 550 (SP Mag) / CCI 400 (SR - standard) debate.
I sent three emails to ATK about it (a generic ATK address, and two to a CCI address). They didn't reply to any of my inquiries. That brings ATKs communications with me to a grand total of nothing. They have never answered a letter, email, or phone call I have ever mailed/sent/dialed.

Sevens

I've contacted Alliant powder through their website and I've always gotten a reply in fairly short order from Ben Amonette. He handles the questions submitted to the "ask the experts" button.

While this is through the Alliant powder site (merely an ATK holding) Ben's e-mail address is at ATK.com.

Ben.Amonette <at> ATK.COM

I'll bet you get a reply.

FrankenMauser

Ben replied:
The small pistol primers probably have a thinner cup due to the lower pressures generated by these type cartridges. I do not know what the difference in priming mixture might be. I do not recommend interchanging these primers. Thanks for your note and have a nice weekend.

I give up. :rolleyes:

Sevens

That brings ATKs communications with me to a grand total of nothing. They have never answered a letter, email, or phone call I have ever mailed/sent/dialed.

Ben replied:

I win! :D ;)

I do believe I've mentioned in the past that I have went to Ben a number of times for help suggestions with the .327 Federal at the load bench and he's not been of a heap of help. :eek:

Sevens

I finally bought a chrono, and was able to chrono four different .327 Federal concoctions. Nothing earth shattering here, but at least it's true data, and not simply anecdotes! :D
I hope to keep experimenting and updating as I do.

85gr Hornady XTP loaded to cannelure over 11.5gr Alliant 2400
1,229 FPS low, 1,342 FPS high and 1,286 FPS average.

85gr Hornady XTP loaded to cannelure over 12.2gr Alliant 2400
1,288 FPS low, 1,385 FPS high and 1,341 FPS average.

85gr Hornady XTP loaded to cannelure over 7.5gr IMR 800-X
1,415 FPS low, 1,517 FPS high and 1,477 FPS average.

100gr Hornady XTP loaded to cannelure over 9.4gr Accurate#7
1,442 FPS low, 1,481 FPS high and 1,462 FPS average.

Stuff that matters
Platform is 5.5" Ruger Blackhawk .327, Stainless
Brass was all non-nickel FC brass, multi-times fired
Chrono was Chrony Beta Master on it's maiden voyage (idiot running it!)
Elevation was a few feet above sea level in Ohio, 86 degrees and super sunny with not near enough of a breeze.

NOTICE!
The load data with Alliant 2400 powder is halfway made-up and half-way taken with reference to Alliant's craptastic online source. Do not consider this as a "published load" because it isn't. But IME, this is not a heavy load and is more than safe. Standard caveat: I really like Alliant powders but someone needs to be publicly flogged over their available load data. Alliant, you suck. Signed: everyone.

The load data with the IMR 800-X is a max load as per Hodgdon's online data center. Feels like there is room to go up, but 800-X published data -ALWAYS- stays low when it feels like there is room to climb...I might guess that 800-X gets goofy at some point. Also, it's murderous to meter this stuff-- it's like running Corn Flakes through your powder measure.

The load data with the Accurate#7 is a published max load from Accurate. this one does "feel" like it's running near the red line in blast and recoil (for the cartridge, I mean, c'mon!)

Please use common sense if you wish to try and replicate these loads by starting lower and slowing working toward them. And if you do...please share your results! ;)

Sevens

A couple new .327 Federal loads shot and chrono'd.

71gr Berry's Plated RN, 1.482" COAL over 4.8gr Bullseye
1,174 FPS low, 1,273 FPS high, 1,242 FPS average.

71gr Win FMJ, 1.482" COAL over 4.8gr Bullseye
1,278 FPS low, 1,332 FPS high, 1,310 FPS average.

71gr Berry's Plated RN, 1.482" COAL over 5.6gr Bullseye
1,386 FPS low, 1,471 FPS high, 1,440 FPS average.

71gr Berry's Plated RN, 1.482" COAL over 6.6gr Bullseye
1,541 FPS low, 1,616 FPS high, 1,590 FPS average.

85gr Hornady XTP, loaded to cannelure over 6.6gr Longshot
1,316 FPS low, 1,384 FPS high, 1,359 FPS average.

85gr Hornady XTP, loaded to cannelure over 7.2gr (MAX) Longshot
1,404 FPS low, 1,512 FPS high, 1,471 FPS average.

100gr Hornady XTP, loaded to cannelure over 6.0gr Longshot
1,213 FPS low, 1,283 FPS high, 1,243 FPS average.

100gr Hornady XTP, loaded to cannelure over 6.7gr (MAX) Longshot
1,378 FPS low, 1,426 FPS high, 1,402 FPS average.

Please note the two MAX loads listed -- these data came from Hodgdon's online Reloading Data Center.

Also note: all the light 71gr bullet bullet loads using Alliant Bullseye are NOT PUBLISHED LOADS and came from nowhere other than my bench. As I do not have pressure testing equipment, I have no idea where a published max might be. I can tell you that even the 6.6gr load gave no visible signs of excess pressure in a Ruger Blackhawk with 5.5" barrel.

These loads were chrono'd on a sunny day, about 72 degrees.

FrankenMauser

I really wish we didn't have such different tastes in powder. That's some good data, that could be quite useful.

On a separate note... I think I need to give up on trying to borrow a chronograph for .327 testing. I may have to just buy my own. (Or, maybe rent the one at the range I occasionally visit. ...if it hasn't been shot yet.)