Setting headspace

4runnerman

Metal-How many times have you fired and reloaded the previously loaded brass in the new barrel ?

This was the first time out. I see where you are going with this and-Yes it makes sense. I should have fired all rounds in other barrel before I switched over so I could reset my Die for this barrel. I only have 30 left to fire. Hope I can get through them with no more lost cases.

tobnpr

So no matter what, it's a best practice to size by referencing a fired case (bolt gun) and measuring to a few thou less than req'd to just chamber,

^^^ We have a winner....

Now being my brass was already all loaded per previous barrel, this could have been the issue also.

Yes it makes sense.

And this does raise an interesting point, in my mind anyway.
Given the "stretch and flow" that brass endures both in the firing and sizing processes, when that dynamic changes- e.g. different chambers, stretching different amounts in different areas- it would seem logical that brass life could definitely be affected.

Areas that previously had not "sacrificed" brass to the sizing process may now be doing so- or those same areas, may be called on to stretch further than in the previous chamber- resulting in casehead failure faster than if the same number of reloads had come from the same chamber.

I agree as well.

Metal god

So we peal back the onion a little more . My thought is your new chambers head space is quite a bit longer then the previous dimensions your rounds were loaded for . This caused the already stressed brass to stretch more then it was used to .

Last edited:

F. Guffey

I am a reloader, I form cases, all of my dies have threads, threads on my dies make it possible to adjust my dies in my press to the shell holder, or, off the shell holder, or, below the shell holder as in the old proverbial 1/4 additional turn after contact.

Things that do not complicate my life, I do not have a Rock Chucker that cams over. If I did I could not use 'that press' with my Piggy Back attachments. My favorite cases? My favorite cases will not allow the bolt to close, meaning I have to adjust the die in the press to the shell holder when sizing the case. I have to know when to quit sizing.

I know, there is 'bump' and there is the magic .002", I will never understand how a reloader can bump a shoulder .002" but can not size a chase to fit the chamber, or worst, not know the length of the chamber.

Tools, I have 280 Remington cases, the 280 Remington case is .051" longer from the shoulder of the case to the case head than the length of a 30/06 case from the shoulder to the case head. How can I miss, .051"! There is no rule that requires me to fire the 280 case in the 30/06 chamber.

Then there is the parent 30/06 case that is longer from the shoulder to the case head. For me the case is a tool. My favorite cases are cases that are too long from the shoulder to the case head, that would be cases that will not allow the bolt to close. BECAUSE! ? If I chamber a round and the bolt closes I will not know by 'how much'.

F. Guffey

Metal god

4runner:

Have you compared the case head space of the cases you fired to some of the 30 you have left that were loaded prier to the re-barreling ? In theory/hope the fired cases should only show a .003 difference if the barrel was head spaced the same . If the shoulder moved .006 or more . I'm thinking the head space is/was to long for those loaded rounds.

F. Guffey

If the shoulder moved .006 or more . I'm thinking the head space is/was to long for those loaded rounds.

I have fired cases with a difference in length between the chamber and case of .127". My case shoulders did not move. They became artifacts. My cases do not have head space, to determine the length of a case from the shoulder of the case to the case head I use case gages.

F. Guffey

Metal god

I've fired cases that were only .008 shorter then my chamber . After 3 firings see cases on left below

mjcn.jpg

Not sure what your point is Guffey :confused: I know guys that get 40 reloads out of cases . Does that mean everybody should regardless as to how they reload them . Were the cases you fired that were .127 short fired 7 times in another chamber loaded again to match that other chamber then fired in a completely different chamber . NO you say :eek: what a surprise , you mean what you did differs from the OP . I know but ALL results should be the same :rolleyes:

Last edited:

F. Guffey

I've fired cases that were only .008 shorter then my chamber

I will never understand why you did that. Why did you fire cases that were .008" shorter from the shoulder to the case head than the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face?

Lost on reloaders, everyone knows the case will not stretch .127" without case head separation.

F. Guffey

Clark

In 6mmBR I just headspace so all the lifetime supplies of Rem and Lapua brass i have will fit.
Never bought the go gauge.
Just sorted through all that new brass trying to find the piece with the most case space.

I set the headspace today on a 6mmRem so that the bolt just closes on the go gauge and I can't feel the go gauge when closing the bolt. With .001" less headspace I could feel the difference when closing the bolt.

4runnerman

Metal- I did check and yes you are right again, I was at .008. which has now been reset to .002.

Tobnpr in post 2 got me going on what he was saying. I was just at the point of the no go- not closing and the go closing. Once I rechecked I got about 1/16 more turn on the barrel. Now the go still closes and the no does not. At that point in time I took one of my un fired cases and still the bolt closed easy. Which would lead me to believe I was way out there. The thing that is weird though. The barrel I took off was my original Savage barrel, now I know I have 3000 plus rounds down that thing. The barrel I put on was a custom hand lapped Match barrel I had chambered for VLD's. You would think It would have been tighter right off the get go.
Second thought that comes to mind- I am using a Small Base sizing die. They size farther down the case. Not sure if that matters. I got another 150 ready to go for this weekend again, plus the left overs. Will have to see what happens. Fun part is 2nd week in August my Super Match Barrel will be here and I can start all over again.

Last edited:

Metal god

Glad to hear you have it squared away . On a side not . I found some Fed GMM primers :p haha :cool:. Oh and some RL-15 ;) so I plan to see what those together may accomplish for me . I've never loaded with either little lone both together . I have 178gr A-Max and 168gr Hornady match HPBT to try with that combo . Was going to go with SMK but they seem kinda pricey right now .

4runnerman

Where ya come across those?. Local Store?. Im still in waiting. Never tried with the Hornady's.
168 serria, 43.2 RL-15, GM210M Primers and 2.80 COL.

F. Guffey

While everyone was complaining about the 'Big Box' Federal primers and the 'most dangerous' primers in the world, I was buying dangerous Federal primers in big boxes, I know, one day I will run out, it will not be soon.

F. Guffey

4runnerman

I did check with Gunbroker here a while ago. Some guy had 5 bricks. He was asking 160.00 per 1000. I hope he chokes on them ha ha