Semi-autos - How is Benelli ?

ebutler462

Stoeger M2000=performance at a much more economical price.:cool:

Nothing bad about either one. You get the same basic platform with either. A little more spit and polish with the high dollar guns. They all shoot and are ultra-reliable. If I was a rich man instead of a retired cop, I'd probably consider one of the others. However, the 2000 does everything I've ever wanted a shotgun to do. I can buy a Benelli but I won't have enough money left over to buy shells. They are pretty. But pretty doesn't kill birds. So, seeing as how I am a poor man, I bought the M2000 and I have over a thousand dollars left over to buy ammo. Had I spent all the money on the Benelli, I would have a very pretty wall decoration and no ammo.

I have nothing against Benelli except they are grossly overpriced. Yep, their actions are polished and slick as grease. Yet, my Stoeger M2000 with its unpolished and slightly rough action has never failed to cycle whatever I feed it. I have an older model 2000 and a new generation M2000. My son uses the older gun and I use the other. Never a single failure in any way to cycle everything from 7/8 oz on up.

If you can afford the higher priced guns, go for it. I can't. I admit it. If I spend all my coins for prestige, I've got nothing left to feed my gun or my family. My nephew has over $3000 in his 2 Benellis. We hunt together frequently. He has a problem with ego and has to have higher priced everything. Well, good for him. I can't afford it and my guns go bang every time I pull the trigger. So does his. He never knew I had Stoegers until we were cleaning the guns one day and he noticed the name. Since then, he has pointed his nose skyward and found excuses not to hunt with me. Good for me!!:rolleyes:

Kobra

I grew up on an A5 so I am probably biased but I prefer recoil operating to gas (I have a gas gun though). Mr. Browning has earned my respect long ago. My SBE stays clean, cycles everything and seems a touch faster in cycling, and is lighter. Several have said it kicks too hard but I don't notice it. One point that my buddies and I experimented with..shot off the hip and it will FTE. I don't consider that a problem though because I can imagine a situation when I am not aiming at what I am shooting at.

minnfinn

The first Benelli I bought was a M1 Super 90. This shotgun operates so smoothly, dependably, with little more than need for a wipe down on a 4-5 day N.D. duck/goose trip that it convinced me this is the shotgun brand for me. The only time that shotgun ever failed to load every time was after a late season pheasant hunt walking through the cattails with all the seeds from them packing in the chamber. I cleaned that out and it operates like a chambe. Removing 5 parts, which take about 1 min. or less is nearly a complete take down of parts that I regularly clean. That includes the bolt. Pop one more pin to drop out the trigger assembly once a season and rarely, if ever remove 1 retaining clip to pull the firing pin out (this really isn't needed). Reassembly goes even faster.
Inertia driven system does keep the action cleaner, because there's no gas tube to redirect extra burned gases to the bolt.
Recoil in my opinion is less than a gas operated and certainly much less than a pump or OU or double.
I liked this shotgun so much a bought a SBE in Max4 pattern, because I hunt waterfowl a lot. Also, the dripped coating helps protect the metal. The SBE of course can handle both 3", 3 1/2" and 2 3/4" (for clays). I don't shoot less than 3 dram equivalent on the later. Interia Drive bolt does require slightly more force than gas to make it always function as design. That's why I use 3 dram or more for clays.
Otherwise, any of these Benellis I'd recommend to someone who hunts, shoots a lot and can afford. It's just such a fine shotgun to shoot and easy to maintain.

InSoMNiaX23

I love my M1 Super 90 field (12ga). It is a very light gun, extremely reliable and while I have heard others complain about recoil, I have never felt that to be an issue. My favorite light load for skeet uses 7/8oz shot, Rem STS hulls, Win 209s, and Win WAA12SL wads with 18.2gr of Clays at around 1250fps. Recoil is next to nothing and I have not had any issues with it not cycling properly. It is a great gun.