Semi-Auto or Revolver in Freezing Vehicle During the Winter?

Semi-Auto or Revolver in Freezing Vehicle?

• Semi-Auto

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Revolver

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Either One is Fine

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • Other - Please Explain

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gb_in_ga

In either case, I think you'll find that the type of lube is what is important. Either will work right with the right lube, either will fail with the wrong lube.

While stationed outside of Fairbanks for three years, I kept my Ruger P95 and SP101 in my truck for most of the time I if wasn't carrying one or the other of them. At the time, they were my only two center fire firearms; I used Hoppes gun oil and never had a problem.

A P95 has a polymer frame, for those who were curious. I had a number of friends with other polymer-framed Rugers, Glocks, and XDs; none of them seemed adversely affected by the cold.

cougar gt-e

I would degrease any semi and then VERY lightly oil it in the needed places. But only in the NEEDED places. Striker fired pistols with too much oil in the striker channel will gum up and that will be worse when it's -20F or so.

shaunpain

I have an Army Survival book my grandfather gave me when I was a kid. Reading through it now (I'm almost 30) I stumbled upon the gun maintenance and hunting section.

Of course, the manual says that if stuck in any kind of survival situation yadda yadda yadda you'd be best poised to survive with the knowledge contained within the book and at LEAST a .22 rifle.

It went on to say that wood and steel, while durable, don't like extreme temperature changes. If the gun is used outside in extreme temperature, keep it there. Also, while some posters have said that a little oil is fine (and I'm sure they're right), it said that cold guns shoot best dry.

grumpa72

Not quite an "apples to apples" comparison but, if you read about GIs in Korea during the Korean War, they would clean their M1 Garands normally and then wipe all traces of grease/oil off of their weapons. Obviously, there will be a microscopic trace left on the guns.

When I lived in Alaska, I would go caribou hunting in some nasty weather. All I did to ensure that my rifle and pistol would function was to keep them clean and dry. Now, if you are in Fairbanks in January at -30 then all bets are off. In that situation, probably a revolver would be my choice.

Stevie-Ray

I had to vote semi-auto simply because it's the only one I have any experience with. My Glock 26 has spent many a frigid night in the truck. The only revolver I have is a Redhawk and I haven't had much of a call to leave it in a vehicle, but I suppose it would also do fine, though the scope might give me trouble if anything.

Nanuk

Living in North Dakota it does get a wee bit nippy at times as well. I just use sythetic oil and don't worry about it. Our IDPA season starts in February, I have been to several shoots where it was -40 and everything worked fine. Being an LEO means carrying my H&K in the weather, works everytime.