Semi-Auto or Revolver in Freezing Vehicle During the Winter?

Semi-Auto or Revolver in Freezing Vehicle?

• Semi-Auto

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Revolver

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Either One is Fine

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • Other - Please Explain

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

147 Grain

I normally keep a handgun in my vehicle between the two front seats and am debating whether to alternate between a semi-auto and a revolver depending on the weather. I live in an semi-urban area where winter temperatures get down to -5 at night and the vehicle in question always has outdoor exposure to the cold elements. I usually CC with a Ruger SR9C or a 38 snubnose.

The handgun in the vehicle will likely be exposed to cold temps and stay in the vehicle 24-hours at a time during cold conditions. One handgun option is the semi-auto Ruger SR9C that has proven very dependable in a warm climate; I haven't tested it under cold conditions. (Would have to use very thin oil or a special graphite to lube semi-auto for freezing temps.) The other handgun is a Ruger Security Six 357 Mag 4" barrel, which has been stoked with Federal's 158-gr. +P LSWCHP FBI load in 38 Special or 357 Mag 158-gr. HP's for better penetration through barriers.

Firing a weapon inside a vehicle with the windows up is worse than within confined walls of a larger area. I am leaning towards using the semi-auto inside the vehicle during warmer climates and the revolver in freezing temps.

Question: Would you keep a revolver or semi-auto in a freezing vehicle for protection? Thank-you in advance of taking the survey and for your thoughts.

ChuckS

Question: Would you keep a revolver or semi-auto in a freezing vehicle for protection? Thank-you in advance of taking the survey and for your thoughts.

I've hunted for many years (revolver) without a problem in sub-freezing weather.

I only have shot a semi-auto (Glock) a couple of times in sub-zero weather, no problems so far.

Slightly off topic- I definitely canNOT recommend a compound bow/aluminum arrows at -20° because the nocks seems to break more easily. :eek:

kraigwy

I was a cop in Anchorage for 20 years. As we know, it gets a bit nippy there every now an then.

We had take home cars. I always carried an extra revolver in the glove compartment (because I got caught without one). I also carried a counter-sniper rifle in the trunk.

At the time I was shooting for the Guard, and since we drove our cars everywhere I often has my pistol box (bullseye shooting) in the truck. So I had revolvers, semi's, my shotgun and rifle. I had zero problems with any of them

The one exception. If I got a call, I'd dig the rifle out of the trunk and put it in the warm passenger compartment so the scope wouldn't fog over.

Don't worry about it.

Kreyzhorse

Either is fine. I've had both revolvers and autos in a freezing temps with no issue.

The only thing I've ever read is that when exposing guns to sub freezing temps is that you should go light with the oil. Gun oil can, and I'm not an oil expert so feel free to correct me, freeze or at least become very thick and mess with the function of the gun.

Eagle0711

" Frost Lock"

I'd go easy with the grease or lube. Better yet a dry lube such as Essox

The latest American Rifleman has an article where " Frost Lock" caused many guns not to work in The Arms of The "Chosin Few" in the Korean War. It said that " The freezing temperatures caused problems for normally reliable guns such as the M 1911A1 and the M1 Garand rife".

You can take it for what it's worth.

stevelyn

I'm from interior Alaska and it gets quite a bit nippier there than it does in skAnchorage. Always has something shoved up under the seat in semi-auto and never had any problems with it functioning in sub-zero temps.

Dwight55

I answered "either one" on the survey, . . . but I try my best to never leave a handgun in a vehicle unless I am going into a building, . . . back out, . . . and heading on (re-armed of course).

I know of folks who throw it in there, . . . go on with life like it is a spare can of "fix a flat" or something. I cannot do that. Too many bg's in my area who are looking to open up an unattended vehicle and woogy off with anything and everything they find inside.

And that doesn't even cover the scenario where the perp is now able to kick in the door and assault me with my own gun he stole from my vehicle if I did that.

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh.:barf::barf::barf:

May God bless,
Dwight

drail

I carry every day but I would never leave a firearm in a vehicle in any neighborhood. I have had too many cars broken into (even in "nice neighborhoods"). There are also problems with lubes turning to semi solids in cold temps and corrosion. A firearm needs to be on your person and under your control at all times.

Onward Allusion

Keep in mind, at 5 below, metal burns bare hands. I left a 5906 in my range bag overnight in my garage and it was about -5 or -10 the night before. When I got it to the range, it hurt to pick it up with bare hands (though not for any length of time). It also had a couple of jams in the first mag.

Lessons learned:
- Don't touch metal after being subjected to -5 temps with bare hands.
- Go real light on the lube especially if it is a semi auto.
- Watch out for condensation should you pull the car into a heated area.

Onward Allusion

I wonder if the plastic frame of the SR9C might be brittle at low temperatures.

No, not at temps in the lower 48. I've had numerous polys subjected to 32 all the way down to -10. Never had an issue with the frame. Only issue I've had was with the lube.

orionengnr

I cannot see a good reason to leave a weapon in the car unattended overnight.

Sounds like irresponsible gun ownership to me.

Onward Allusion

Attached garage with alarm system on locked car and house, which includes the garage. I usually pack the night before for the range.

I cannot see a good reason to leave a weapon in the car unattended overnight.

Sounds like irresponsible gun ownership to me.

Last edited:

joeoim

Cold shouldn't bother

Only problem I've had is one time hunting (1979) it had sleeted early morning, then turned terrible cold. I was carrying in an open holster as I had for years, and when I went to use the revolver (Ruger single six) it didn't fire first time, fired second time though. Firing pin had frozen.

I have had a holster with a top flap (like the calvery used) ever since.

Taking a cold gun inside where it is warm will cause condensation to form on it. Can collect enough to really soak a gun, rifle or pistol.

Wildalaska

Depends on the gun and lube.

I wouldnt leave an HK P7 out in the cold. Been there done that :)

Now a Nagant revolver will take anyhting. it has a mainspring like a trucks. :)

Gross Gott

WilditscoldthisamAlaska ™©2002-2010

bikerbill

My car gun year-round is a tuned Taurus 85 ... while I don't face very cold weather here in Texas, it does get mighty hot in the summer. The 85 is the first handgun I ever purchased and it has been failure-free for more than 15 years ... I trust it with my and my wife's life when I'm not otherwise carrying (due to the destination) and it always goes bang ...

DAS9mm

I use Slip 2000 gun lube. It is rated from -110 F to 1250 F (yes 1,250). So unless you are leaving your semi as a truck gun in your Moon Rover on the dark side of the moon, a modern gun lube should be fine.

I watched a Secrets of the Dead on PBS that discussed the Battle of Stalingrad. Apparently the Germans had issues with rifle bolts locking up in the Russian winter's cold. The Soviet Army added a little gasoline to their gun oil which allowed their weapons to function properly in the cold.

Last edited: