Sellior & Bellot .357 JSP-Too Hot?

Russ

I bought a 1,000 rounds of this stuff from Cheaper Than Dirt a little over a year ago before I left the PRK. I have only run about 100 rounds through my S & W 686, 6 inch barrel. which I purhased in 1986. The gun is still tight with maybe only 4,000 rounds through it. This ammo seems awfully hot to me.

Of course the day I shot it on was 90 degrees and 99% humidity and I could barely hang on to the gun for all the sweating I was doing.

I was wondering if anyone else thinks this stuff is unusually hot?

Maybe it was just my imagination.

CZ Gunner

YES ... it is!

I've also experienced problems with the casing expanding and becoming difficult to remove from the cylinder of various .357 revolvers. (Ones that have never had .38's shot in them.)

It seems to function pretty well in my Rossi .38/.357 lever gun ... so I pretty much have reserved it for it.

Have shot a lot of their 9mm without a problem ... other than being dirty.

Good luck ...

Prodigalshooter

Yup, I've also noticed their .357 is a bit hot. I've noticed lots of flaming crap flying around after a shot too, must be a lot of powder? At any rate, I don't buy it in that caliber anymore. The 9mm stuff works just fine though, no excess powder etc. My CZ loves the stuff.

Arub

S&B web site puts it at 1394 ft/sec and muzzle energy of 687ft/lbs. Just a little bit on the warm side.

Erich

SAAMI dropped the max pressure for American .357 loads a few years back, and the Europeans kept it where it was . . . could have something to do with the extra "warmth." Personally, I like a .357 magnum to be hot - if I wanted .38+P ammo, that's what I'd buy or load.

ThePerfectOne

.357 magnum from S&B is all I shoot in my dads ruger GP160 with a 6" barrel.
they are indeed a lot hotter than the average .357, but nothing I can't handle.
I find the recoil very amusing and even inspiring :confused:
but then again: I am ThePerfectOne :D

nondescript

Mu-hu-huhu-hee-hee-hee-ha-ha:p
BOOM!!
BOOM!!
BOOM!!
BOOM!!
BOOM!!
BOOM!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
As long as the revolver is strong

juliet charley

I love CIP spec'd ammo, and I really hate what SAAMI has done to the .357 Magnum. It be interesting to watch--I wouldn't want to do it myself--someone touch off a round or two in one of those scandium J-frames. They'd develop a whole new of what .357 really is.

BigG

I fired a box of S&B 158 gr JSP thru my Scandium J-frame. Hard extraction and bullet was jumping the crimp on the last round :eek: so I switched to Federal same spec ctgs and had no more trouble.

I have had good luck with S&B ammo except for this ctg.

CZ_

Yeah, Deerstopper is hot.

In heavier bullet weights, there are hot loads as well.

Cor Bon 180 grain leaves the muzzle at 1,285 fps from a 4" barrel.

Cor Bon 200 grain leaves the muzzle at 1,200 fps from a 4" barrel.

These loads, plus the deerstopper load, allow one to take on deer to black bear sized animals with a .357.

They also require a relatively strong gun (k-frames or smaller frames most likely couldn't handle a lot of Deerstopper loads).

CZ_

Maybe it's worth picking up a 6" GP after all.

Its most definitely worth picking up a 6" GP 100.

You're velocities will go up (the 180 and 200 grain Cor Bons should even perform better with the longer barrel), and the sight radius increase will help you hit at medium distances.

The 6" GP 100 might is IMO one of the most versatile revolvers one can carry.

vulcan

Georgia Arms boomers

WOW, 1,475fps out of a box. I'm going to try a couple of boxes in my 83/8" 27-2 for the boom factor! :D

CZ_

Yeah, Georgia Arms is hot. One of the best .357 loads out there for small to medium size deer.

If you like boom factor, try the Cor Bon loads too. They also pack a whallop (but do so with heavier bullets).

DougB

This is pretty intersesting. I recently bought a new S&W 360 Scandium kit gun (3 1/4" barrel, 14.5 oz). Guess what ammo I picked to try it out? Yup, S&B 158gr .357 Magnnum ammo. I had no idea it was particularly hot. But I did notice that the little pistol kicked a LOT. It's the only gun I've shot that actually seemed like it might come out of my hands from recoil (not that it did). I just figured that was the price of having such a light .357. It shoots fine with .38s. Maybe I'll try another brand of .357s in this gun.

Doug

CZ_

Most magnum loads will kick like heck in a 14 ounce revolver. That is simply too light of a revolver to be able to shoot magnums comforably, IMO. Even my 25 ounce Ruger SP 101 really HURTS with full powered loads.

You're better off with reduced magnum loads, like the "medium velocity" loads. It should save your hand a bit.

I reserve the full powered to hot magnum loads for only medium and large size revolvers.