Sellier & Bellot ammo - opinions?

DaleA

I've a friend that shoots a lot of 10mm S&B because, he says, Cabelas almost always has 10mm S&B and he doesn't see other brands on the shelf there on a regular bases.

I don't know if this means S&B manufactures a lot of "niche" ammo or it's just a Cabelas thing or maybe a local phenomenon.

The stuff works fine for him. (BTW I've told him about the joys of reloading and he always replies he's going to get around to it some day.)

RA,

Whenever I can get a good price via AMMOSEEK.COM I always buy S&B
9mm for my Pistols. Never had a misfire & the ammo shoots fairly clean.

This is one of the few NON AMERICAN made ammo I'll buy. I know I might sound prejudiced but American made ammo, IMHO, is the best made out there.
Since I don't reload I'm very careful about what I fire thru my Glocks.

P5 Guy

I have shot S&B in 7.62x39, 303BRIT, 8mmMauser, 7.62x25 and 9x19 with not one problem.
I even had a case of S&B that was plated steel cased that shot fine.
Yes the primer pockets are tight and reloading needs an extra step to uniform the primer pocket, but one only has to do that chore once. And it may be loaded a bit hotter than the ecno-box ammo from the big box stores.

BillSussman

I can't speak to their factory ammo but they are my go to choice for primers, I have never had one not go bang in the many 1000's I have fired. I have had a few Winchester primers not go bang as well as a few factory loaded Winchester 9mm.

9mm

Malcolm

Wooah way to come out of the woodwork Sir.

Sellier & Bellot ammo is G2G I have seen a lot of reviews online with bulk ammo, they have improved quality since 2012 when I heard mixed reviews on them. I am finding 1000 round cases for $150-$170 for S&B 9mm.

DAKA

Excellent ammo, I've fired THOUSANDS of rounds NO PROBLEMS..
The packaging in smaller boxes is a PLUS.

Metric

It's particularly great practice ammo if you have some tightly-sprung pistols. Gives a bit of extra bit of push for a strong, reliable cycle.

In .32acp, S&B is probably my favorite load on the market. Superior to Buffalo Bore +p for energy (based on my own chrono figures).

JDBerg

This thread is 2 years old, dates back to when you could still get S&B ammo. Anyway, S&B worked great in every one of my 9mm guns.

I've shot quite a bit of S&B 9mm over the years and have generally had very good experiences with it.

Given the choice between it and Remington-UMC value packs, I'll take the S&B all day long. It's MUCH cleaner burning the the Rem-UMC stuff.

BornFighting88

When I inherited a rifle from my grandfather, it had three boxes of S&B ammo in the case with it. Checked to make sure the ammo was still safe, and it fired great. Little on the hot end of the limits, like mentioned, but flawless function. If I see it, I will pick up a box, as I know its worked for me well in the past.

TunnelRat

I've shot quite a bit of S&B 9mm over the years and have generally had very good experiences with it.

Given the choice between it and Remington-UMC value packs, I'll take the S&B all day long. It's MUCH cleaner burning the the Rem-UMC stuff.

Since Remington was bought out by Vista Outdoor I have had a chance to fire about 100 rd of 9mm now that Federal is essentially in charge. The cleanness of the brass and bullets and the consistency of the recoil impulse shot to shot was dramatically improved from what I remember in years passed. I also didn’t notice any more fouling than any other manufacturer. I would buy it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to know about the Rem-UMC ammo.

It's been some years since I fired any, and it was as filthy as I remembered it being from the late 90s/early 2000s.

TunnelRat

Yeah my previous experience with Remington UMC was not good. It was filthy both externally and in fouling and the powder charges seemed inconsistent shot to shot. I also had rounds with poorly seated bullets. I finally stopped using it ~10 years ago. I decided after the Vista purchase that it was worth seeing if it had improved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wild cat mccane

S&B has been very available through this US Vista Outdoor monopoloy US only supply problem.

It's your pro 2nd ammo online sellers that have been shiving you on the price.