Self limited concealed carry

rodfac

If the fella in the pic untucked that ratty T shirt he could carry any handgun that he desired for concealable purposes. He could also put on a button up work shirt like a Dickies or a Big Ben and look better than he looks in that tucked in T shirt and be cooler in a hot environment. There is nothing about what he's wearing that places any major obstacle to carrying a Glock 19 or a Colt Defender or a larger piece.
Yep...that's my daily outfit here in KY on overly hot days (like all summer long). I have no problem carrying a Commander sized 1911, nor a Browning Hi-Power, nor even my favorite M66-4" S&W; a loose t-shirt covers 'em all.

YMMv, and I've probably been "made" by our local LEO's if they're doing their jobs conscientiously, but no one, civilian or LEO, has yet mentioned the slight bulge that my OWB open top makes. For civilian enquiries I've decided to answer with, "it's my colostomy bag...wanna see it?"

But unless I'm swimming, there WILL be a pistol.
Too true...unless I'm headed for the Post Office, Police HQ or one of the other No-No places here in KY. Rod

CDW4ME

When not required for work.
4ibqn5.jpg

Double K

This was not an unusual situation
I was over a friends private range last week while he was giving a ccw class to a couple, I was dressed in my normal summer work attire, cargo shorts and custom logo polo shirt. After quite a while I lifted my untucked shirt to show them my holster I carry my G19 in, they were totally shocked that I was carrying a gun and were very curious as to how I concealed it. Pretty simple, I wear a shirt one size larger than what actually fits me and shorts that have a high waist which most cargo shorts do anyway.
If I know that I'm going to be crawling around in an attic or crawlspace I take my LCP that day or leave my Glock in the truck for that service.

mrt949

I Have carried starting in 1982 ,ANKLE ,POCKET,I.W.B.
I.W.B .works the best for me .
I am physical chalenged
SHORT AND SQUATY FAT WITH NO BODY
At 5'8" 330

Japle

One of the things I’ve learned while carrying a gun daily for over 30 years:
Unless you’re a super-model or on fire, no one will give you a 2nd glance. Hell, they won’t give you a 1st glance.
People are far too wrapped up in their own lives to pay attention to odd bulges under your clothes.
A few years ago, I carried a 4” S&W M29 .44 Mag OWB and 2 speedloaders under Hawaiian or sports shirts for a month. At 5’9” and 140 lbs, it was like having half a steel grapefruit strapped to my side. The speedloaders were just as obvious as the gun. I had to hold my arm out, away from my side, so I could swing my arm when I walked. I might as well have been wearing a sandwich sign saying, “I’m packing a gun”!
No one noticed.
These days, I usually carry an XDs .45 in either an XD OWB holster or a Blackhawk! IWB. I wear a lot of small-size polo shirts (IWB) or Hawaiian shirts (OWB). When I wear a tuxedo, I drop my P3AT in my pants pocket, because sometimes it gets hot on the stage and we remove our jackets.
Anyway, don’t worry about “printing”. It’s really a non-issue.

Bill DeShivs

To YOU, not to me.
And I can promise you that I have been carrying guns (from .22 short to .45 acp) longer than you. I know how to properly carry and have done so. That 9mm will not fit in your pocket.

I'm short-5'6". It makes a lot of difference.

AK103K

To YOU, not to me.
And I can promise you that I have been carrying guns (from .22 short to .45 acp) longer than you. I know how to properly carry and have done so. That 9mm will not fit in your pocket.

I'm short-5'6". It makes a lot of difference.
Im 5' 6" too, and it makes no difference.

Ive carried full sized handguns (1911's, SIG P220s/226's, Glock 17's, etc)with one or two reloads, and a lot of times, a BUG with it, every day for over 40 years now. Its easily done, "if" you want to do it.

Personally, I think pocket carry is the worst place to carry, especially if its the only gun you are carrying. Youre limited in the size and type of gun you carry, and access pretty much sucks in most "realistic" instances.

CDW4ME

Ive carried full sized handguns (1911's, SIG P220s/226's, Glock 17's, etc)with one or two reloads, and a lot of times, a BUG with it, every day for over 40 years now. Its easily done, "if" you want to do it.

well-there-it-is.jpg

This, especially if we are talking not being limited by work dress requirement.

S&W Shield, Kahr P9, "officers" 1911, Glock 43 - plenty of slim compact 9mm pistols easily concealed by anyone willing to put forth the effort.

Having a 32/380 in pocket rather than making the effort to carry something in at least 9mm is lackadaisically proactive.
A willingness to settle for "better than nothing" in case somebody(s) try to kill them; this carry "philosophy" is typically location dependent.
If somebody(s) try to kill them in a "good" area a pocket 32/380 is deemed adequate.
However, when going to "indian country" then threats merit at least 9mm.

I do not understand contentment for betting life on 32/380/38 in "good" area but wanting at least 9mm elsewhere.

Japle

Paris shirt bone.jpgHere's an example of "printing" that would terrify most new gun carriers. That's an XDs .45 under my shirt.
A few people asked my what I was doing in a French police shirt (long story), but no one commented on the obvious (to us gun packers) pistol so poorly concealed.

Bill DeShivs

You guys are hilarious!
I'm 65 years old. I have been carrying a gun since I was 18 years old. Been there, done that-ALL of it!
I choose what is convenient and adequate for me. You carry a Desert Eagle if you want.
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

AK103K

You guys are hilarious!
I'm 65 years old. I have been carrying a gun since I was 18 years old. Been there, done that-ALL of it!
I choose what is convenient and adequate for me. You carry a Desert Eagle if you want.
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
Same age as you and carrying the same amount of time, 98% of which has been full size handguns carried on a daily basis.

It is the Indian, but the arrow is also very important, if the Indian wants to prevail, across as broad a set of encounters as he might come across.

Those damn Blue Bellies will dick you every chance they get if you arent prepared and let them .:D

Carmady

Speaking of Indians, in a John Wayne movie on a stagecoach heading west a passenger said, "I think I saw an Apache," and John Wayne replied, "If he was an Apache you wouldn't have seen him."

heckcat

Personally, I think pocket carry is the worst place to carry, especially if its the only gun you are carrying. Youre limited in the size and type of gun you carry, and access pretty much sucks in most "realistic" instances.
Do you have any advice or recommendations for the rest of us vertically challenged folk who wish to carry more than a sub compact? :)