Self Defensive Handgun Rotation

RBid

kraigwy and pax nailed it.

When it's the real thing, your brain will be processing a lot of information in a very compressed window. You'll probably experience tunnel vision, narrow mental focus (albeit with an odd clarity), and rationalizing that something VERY BAD is happening. In that moment, you want something so natural it's instinctive.

That intimate understanding will be best prepared by training, practice, and familiar equipment.

At this point, I'm becoming more convinced that no thumb safety or a BIG thumb safety (1911 or similar) is best. I can't see having to present a firearm and dropping the safety on a Shield with someone in my face, for example.

Dragline45

if you rotate all three randomly, then skip the semi auto. Not good idea that if youve been toting a revolver everyday for a month then swap out to a semi auto

The Sig is a DA/SA pistol, even if he is used to dealing with revolvers drawing and firing the Sig would be no different. No safeties to worry about, and first trigger pull DA.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Pax's comparison to a car is a valid one. I have driven quite a bit in England, and usually have no problem with the floor shift on my left and driving on the left side. But I once pulled out of a service station and onto the wrong side of the road! An articulated lorry (that is a semi to you) loaded with steel from Birmingham just missed me. I had thought I had English driving down pat; I almost learned the hard way that I didn't.

Jim

ripnbst

I carry two guns, a 1911 and a S&W M&P 9c. The way I draw and press to the target I naturally roll my thumb down pressing the safety off in the 1911. On the S&W no safety is there so my thumb just goes past.

I have a J-frame I keep in the house for the wife but I do hate this and want to replace it with a M&P9 or 9pro. I hate it because its a snub nose DA revolver and the manual of arms isn't like anything else I shoot.

I subscribe to not rotating. I don't rotate. I carry the M&P nearly all year and the 1911 in the winter. To me that's not rotation. Rotation is constant change.

At 6'0" and 140 lbs I can make my 9c workable anywhere.

40-82

kraigway, Pax, JamesK, and others,

I appreciate the advice to pick one type of gun and stick to it. That's probably one of the important differences between a professional and a hobbyist such as myself. No matter how much I practice with the various guns I use, I'll never be as proficient as I might have been had I picked one platform and stuck with it. My excuse is my fascination with handguns and the relative low risk of my environment. I live on a farm in the mountains and sometimes it's weeks between my trips to town.

I'd like to think that if something ever really shook me up that I'd devote myself to either the 1911 or a relatively modern double action Smith & Wesson revolver, but given what I know of human nature the usual reaction to a sudden change in the status of one's safety is denial. Besides, what you anticipate coming is rarely as much of a threat as the situation that seems to develop with no reason or warning.

JohnKSa

Administrator
No matter how much I practice with the various guns I use, I'll never be as proficient as I might have been had I picked one platform and stuck with it.
I own and shoot a lot of different guns because I enjoy shooting and I enjoy shooting different guns. But when I'm actually doing training (presentations, malfunction drills, general weapons manipulation practice, etc.) I stick with guns that have the same general operational characteristics as my carry guns.

okiewita40

Being prior military, Private contractor and LEO I have had to learn various different platforms of weapons. Simplicity is best. Get one gun that is comfortable for you to carry and shoot. Practice with it a lot. Carry it in the same place the same way every time. Make things as automatic with it as possible.

Being a believer in the KISS system of things. I carry a Glock 19 at 3:00 in a paddle holster. I have used a glock for work since 1999 so that is what I have stuck with. YMMV.

ChaperallCat

the official citation is going to be hard. it was an article on stress/duress on a persons ability to work a handgun. They studied police and civilians. It was noted that all groups had increased time to get the gun into usage when they swapped between revolver, semi auto, and dao and sa dasa semi autos.

the brain shuts down. its proven scientifically. And if the handpicked police who need to run and gun for a living, had a harder time when they switched platforms, well everyone is going to.

Sure you may be super human intellectually, but if you forget that safety switch is there well, intellect doesnt stop bullets.

craZivn

For everyday carry, I have my SP101. For days when I think I'll need more than five shots on tap I carry my Beretta PX4. Which means I carry the SP full-time. I have hidden it under anything from a t-shirt to a formal vest (mob funeral) without problems.

Ivan

Sevens

For days when I think I'll need more than five shots
That's a unique skill set-- the ability to know what kind of a gun fight you are most likely to encounter that day! :p
If I had that ability... I'd probably stay HOME that day. ;)

James K

Member In Memoriam
Well, I am possibly more of a hobbyist and collector than almost anyone here. But when I carried, as a LEO, I either had a Model 19 (in uniform) or a Model 36 (in plain clothes). Both S&W revolvers, both with the same operating mode. And when I carry today, it is probably the Chiefs Special.

I could have carried a Czech Model 38, a Frommer Stop, a Steyr-Hahn, a Roth-Steyr, a Luger, a P.38, a Hamada, a Colt M1902, a Colt Lightning, a Colt 1878, an SAA, etc., etc. All would probably have worked, though I would probably have cried if I had shot anyone with the Roth-Steyr, at $12 a round.

So why not rotate them, say the Steyr-Hahn on Mondays (with a couple of spare clips), a Mauser HSc on Tuesdays, the Colt DAA on Wednesday, etc.?

Maybe some of you would have. I didn't.

Jim

camsdaddy

For years I only had a 3913 I carried but not all the time. I later bought a P32 and begin to carry all the time. I have since gone through lots of different guns and carried a lot of different guns. Recently I have pretty much (rarely a Model 60) gone to two platforms K frame S&W and Glock more specifically a 2 "64 or a 3" 65 or a 26 or 19. I have found that more and more I find myself with the Glock 26. I find I conceal it the best and with a Glock 17 mag Im able to have 27 rounds on tap. While I probably shoot the 65 the best I find I shoot the 26 well and carry it more comfortably. All of that to say I am trying to make up my mind to carry only my 26 for a year. Over that year I will shoot others but 90% of all shooting will be the 26. I cant help but feel that I would improve greatly in my shooting and running of the 26 and more than anything my confidence.

1hogfan83

What about the person who carries a BUG? My main carry gun is an HK P2000SK. Its a da/sa, no safety, at about 8-9lbs. Its about as close to a revolver as you can get in an auto. I only carry my 642 when I can't fit in the HK. Although they are similar, being hammer fired, carrying something less similar to either handgun , a 1911 and a block. I do not care for the 642 but it can be convenient and ammo is somewhat available. I think both camps are outrageous. Two guns at once or 50 rounds of ammo, just bring a rifle. Playing spin the bottle with your gun collection doesn't sound as silly but close.

40-82

Roth-Steyr

JamesK,

I vote that you should carry the Roth-Steyr. I can just see you winning a humanitarian award for physically subduing a perp who by all rights you should have shot because you couldn't bear to part with one of those $12 cartridges.

40-82

James K

Member In Memoriam
Good idea, but I have only one clip, so reloads would be limited. And I don't want to damage the clip - they run in the hundreds.

Jim

Seaman

"Youse guys ever rotate your every day carry (edc) handguns? " [FM12]

Yes, every day, common denominator is at least 1 revolver in the mix, and its the go-to gun.

"What criteria do you use if any?" [FM12]

One criterion. The carry guns should all be capable of 1" groups or better (at 7 yards/21 feet).

"So why not rotate them, say the Steyr-Hahn on Mondays (with a couple of spare clips), a Mauser HSc on Tuesdays, the Colt DAA on Wednesday, etc.?"

Ah, the romantic... tempting, but there are enough modern guns built today that are close enough to WW1 era guns to satisfy that need...ie S&W 22-4 or any 1911.

"...Roth-Steyr, at $12 a round." [James K]

BTW, Roth-Steyr 8mm ammo can be made from 30 cal brass (M1 carbine) which reduces costs significantly.

Used to collect WW1 era guns, carried a Walther M4 for a bit. Lots of good carrys from that period, especially 32 ACP, the best 9mm is the Steyr-Hahn, (reliable, not finicky like the Lugers, and can be carried C&L like a 1911) I have one of the Wermacht contract guns chambered in 9mm para, superb shooter, was shooting it this morning, muzzle to muzzle vs a Glock, the Glock surprised me, first time I have shot one this well, just may add a Glock to the carry rotation.

Sevens

Good idea, but I have only one clip, so reloads would be limited. And I don't want to damage the clip - they run in the hundreds.
I thought we already agreed that you wouldn't actually be firing any shots?! :p