Seecamp vs. Keltec P-32

Seecamp or Kel-Tec P-32?

• Seecamp

Votes: 35 28.7%
  • Kel-Tec P-32

Votes: 87 71.3%

• Total voters

Kentucky Rifle

Well RH, I DO own a Guardian and it's a fine piece!

I just sent it in to NAA for a little tune-up. It seems that the new and longer Cor-Bon bullets were being "set back" when they hit the feed ramp. I was a little afraid to shoot it. I definitely did not want to damage my Guardian. It only took a few days and when it came home, the longer C-B's were no problem. I've chambered several after measuring them and, after ejecting the live cartridges, they measured the same. (With my calipers.) I also contacted Sandy Chisolm (Pres. of NAA) and he assured me that my Guardian would have no trouble with the more powerful Cor-Bons. Mine is an "AB" model, so for no charge NAA installed the new and much better feelng trigger.
Lots of guys say the Guardian is too heavy. However, you'll appreciate that when you're shooting those powerful Cor-Bons. Also, let me tell you, my Guardian feels much lighter in a RJ Hedley "back pocket" holster. That was the first thing I bought and the only way I carry my Guardian. In my back pocket, it's a put on and forget exercise. Plus, I'm a great believer in the new 150 ft.lbs. of energy the Cor-Bon's put out. Sometimes I carry Glasers or Magsafes in it also.
NAA's customer service is every bit as good as anybody elses. They sent me three extra mags! I really like my Guardian, However you need that back pocket holster for true comfort!

KR

Wild Romanian

I will have to agree with much of what Walt says about the Seecamp and double actions only pistols.
I do own a Seecamp and I do not think much of it. It has a barrel that has rifling so crudely made it is a wonder that it even stabilizes the bullets that pass through it. The trigger bar on mine has an elongated hole in it which simpley resulted from firing only two hundred rounds out of the pistol. The trigger pull is now quit jerky because of this wear on the trigger bar. I have heard that even Larry Seecamp has said that this pistol is basically good for only 1,000 rounds before you throw it in the trash. Pretty expensive trash i would think.
I generally have found that double action only pistols especially small ones cannot be fired with any accuracy under stress. I have been able to fire small single action .25 caliber automatics as fast as I can pull the trigger and hit sillouette targets up to 25 yards away. Duplicating this experiment on the same day with double action only small automatics I was not able to even hit a target as close as 7 yards. That is one hell of a difference in performance. I vote thumbs down on the double action only auto's no matter what the brand. W.R.

Salt

I read somewhere a long time ago that there was a waiting list for a Seecamp .32 auto. Is this still true?

TheeBadOne

Size matters

Seecamp for me. The entire reason I carry a .32 when I do is that I need the smallest gun possible. The Kel-tec is a nice gun, but much much larger then the Seecamp. If I was going to be able to carry a gun the size of the Kel-tec .32 I'd just grab my Kahr MK9. My Seecamp gets very limited carry. It goes along when it's litteraly the only thing I can carry because of dress restrictions, or for 2nd gun duties to my main CCW. Both Seecamp and Kel-tec pistols are fine guns in their own rights, but when it comes to a .32 the only reason I consider one is size size size. That's what lead me to the Seecamp in the 1st place.

alamo

Salt,

A suggestion for you - it's probably a better idea to post your question as a new topic rather than resurrect an 8 month old thread with your question tacked on at the end of it.

Walt Sherrill

You really think there's not that much difference between a Kahr and Kel-Tec P-32?

The Seecamp is 4.25 inches long, the Kel-tec 3/4 of an inch longer.

The Seecamp is 3.25 inches high, the Kel-Tec 1/4 higher.

The Seecamp weighs 13.25 loaded, the Kel-Tec 9.4 oz. (2/3 the weight?)

The Seecamp has 6+1 rounds; the Kel-Tec 7+1 (and you can get a 10round mag if you want it... Maybe backup?)

The Seecamp is .91 inches wide; the Kel-Tec is .75 inches wide.

Less than an inch longer, much lighter and much narrower -- and arguably -- because of the width and weight -- more concealable.

More importantly, you can shoot any ammo, including Plus P (if you can find it or load it.) Try that with a Seecamp.

A friend played a round of golf with his in his shirt pocket. Forget it was there. You won't do that with a Seecamp or a Kahr.

TheeBadOne

Specs

Kel-tec
Technical Specifications
Calibers: .32 AUTO
Weight unloaded. 6.6 oz.
Weight loaded 9.4 oz.
Length 5.1"
Height 3.5"
Width .75"
Capacity 7+1 rounds

Seecamp
Weight with Empty Magazine : 11.5 oz.
Weight fully loaded : 13.25 oz.
Length : 4.25"
Slide Width : .725"
Grip Width : .91"
Height : 3.25"
Capacity : 6 in magazine + 1 in chamber

TheeBadOne

Kahr MK9 specs

Kahr MK9

Caliber 9mm (9 x 19)
Length O/A 5.3"
Height 4.0"
Slide Width .90"
Weight Pistol 22.1 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
Sights Low profile, white bar-dot combat sights (tritium night sights optional)
Magazines 1 each: 6-round flush baseplate and 7-round grip extension
Warranty Limited Lifetime
Capacity 6+1, 7+1 (magazine with grip extension)

TheeBadOne

Kahr PM9

Caliber 9mm
Length O/A 5.3"
Height 4.0"
Slide Width .90"
Weight Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
Sights Drift-adjustable, white bar-dot combat sights (tritium night sights optional)
Magazines 1 each: 6-round flush baseplate & 7-round grip extension
Warranty Limited Lifetime
Capacity 6 + 1, 7 + 1 (magazine with grip extension)

Kentucky Rifle

I don't think I'm a snob...

And you wouldn't think so either, if you saw me in my daily "uniform" of jeans or chino's.
Wait! My jeans and chino's come from LL Bean...does that qualify as snobbery? :) In all seriousness, of all my pocket pistols, I like my Seecamp best. My P-32 with it's chrome top and gray grip frame and my Guardian with it's smooth Pau Ferro Hogue grips are beauties to behold, however I do consider my Seecamp to be my "best" pocket pistol.
My light, thin P-32 feels the best in an ankle holster.
Ah, what the hell...I love them all. Every single one!

Kentucky Rifle

Chan Bates

P-32/Seecamp differences

There are some major differences between the two guns.

KT is a locked breech design vs. the Seecamp blowback. The Seecamp will have more felt recoil even though it is heavier. The locked breech is a stronger action that allows more powerful ammunition, yet it spreads recoil into less of a sharp impulse.

KT is not a true DOA. It's hammer is partially cocked (with a hammer block for additional safety), making the trigger pull lighter and a little shorter than other full DAO's. It is still long enough and heavy enough for safety. It is not SA, but just right for this type of gun and one of the best triggers there is on a mouse gun. Mine specs at 7.5 lbs and is very smooth. KT grips are thinner than the competition.

Considering the weight and size differences (especially the width), the KT carries easier concealed, which is a major factor.

The accessories available from KT add value: a belt clip for carrying, a 10-round mag, different grip colors or a dull chrome (like dull nickel) plated slide that looks good for only $20 more (exchange factory original blue slide). And no wait to get one, with excellent and quick factory warranty service.

KT is less than half the price of a Seecamp.

I am sure the Seecamps are great guns. NAA Guardians are too. Each fills a particular niche for certain people. KT's do something similar but a different way. One has to assess what one really needs, then find the best compromise gun. However, one should not make a decision against a certain gun he/she is considering without at least trying it. CB3

dennis carter

I'm amazed at the poll results. In my view, comparing a Seecamp to a Keltec P-32 is like comparing a Porsche to a Karman Gia; one is extremely well made and reliable, the other is, well, a pretty clone.

It's no accident that the Seecamp sells for more than it's suggested price. But, they can be gotten for about $400-$450.

Dennis D. Carter

GeorgeH

I own 3 Seecamp's. One 25 ACP (their original caliber) and two 32 ACP, one pre and one post CNC machining. I also own a NAA Guardian 32 and a NAA Guardian 380. I would pick either the Seecamp or the Guardian 32 over the Kel Tec 32. I have nothing against the Kel Tec. In fact I want to buy one. But I feel that either the Seecamp or Guardian is a far better firearm. I carry the Guardian 380 as my always gun. The Guardian 32 is about 2 ozs heavier than the Seecamp and a hair larger, but it was designed to fire all available ammo; unlike the Seecamp which was not.

The Seecamp 32 has no "life expectancy." The 380 Seecamp, which is being developed, will. However, whatever the ultimate life expectancy will be, it will be in excess of 1000 rounds (my guess would be somewhere in excess of 3,000 rounds).

As to the waiting list on the Seecamp. Yes, there is one. The last that I heard the list is about 2 to 3 years long.

As to sights. The Seecamp has none. It was intended to be a close range, last stand, weapon.

Rebeldon

I once had a Kel-Tec P32. I traded it! If I had to buy another .32 auto again, I'd go with the Seecamp, Autauga or Guardian...anything but a Kel-Tec.

Ancel48

Retired Screen Name
For a dozen years, Seecamp .32 has given me well-made reliability. The advantage I see of the Kel-tec P-32 is it's lighter weight. But I'm not convinced that's a good trade off for the Seecamp's durabilty.

Kentucky Rifle

George...

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that "life expectancy" thing regarding .32ACP Seecamps!:) I don't think Larry even said anything regarding the life expectancy of the .380 model. It was that the recoil springs on the .380 might need to be replaced after 1000 rounds. I'll ask him the next time we speak.
I was going to add an Autauga to my pocket pistol collection but decided against it when the owner of my regular gun shop told me he had taken one apart and didn't like what he saw. Still, there are things about Autauga's that I like. If I was at a gun show and I saw an Autauga at a good price, I'd probably buy it. You know me and small "jewel-like" pistols. I have very little resistance there. I find them positively hypnotic! :eek:
Oh, one more thing. I've been thinking I also need a "pre-CNC" Seecamp. Can you see a difference between them. (At least on the two examples you own?)

KR

alamo

As I recall, Larry Seecamp said that in a Gun World article almost 2 years ago - that it (the .380) had an expected life of 1,000 rounds and recoil springs should be replaced every 200 rounds.

Check out this website and the link at the bottom of it.

http://www.seecamp32.com/index.html

It's the website of P&R gun sales but looks more like a Seecamp site.

Last edited:

TheeBadOne

.380, not .32 with the life expectancy

The .32 Seecamp has no life expectancy limitation, it is the .380 model that does. According to that link one .380 model was fired 800+ times with no maintenance and no problems. Their recommendation (no Seecamps, don't know what that is) is to change the recoil spring every 200 rounds just for good measure.