Seecamp LWS-32 Owners...

FPrice

My local dealer has reached a deal with Larry Seecamp to receive a small quantity of LWS-32 pistols (the .380 has not yet been approved for sale in this state) on a semi-regular basis. I handled one tonight and it seemed nice, if small.

The $64 question, is this pistol worth it? What do you LWS-32 owners say? I would have to put down half the cost up front, and then wait however long it takes to get one.

Should I do it?

GeorgeH

Hi FPrice:

I own 3. 1 25ACP and 2 32ACP (1 pre and 1 post CNC machining). I also own 2 NAA Guardians. A G380 and a G32.

I have no complaints about my Seecamps. I also love my Guardians.

Its hard for me to say. I think that if the Guardians had been around when I got my first Seecamp, I most likely would not have bought my first Seecamp.

The Seecamp is a cult gun. As to fit and finish, they are as close to perfect as you can get. They are a jewel. But they are a pain to field strip, and even though you have greater ammo choices if the S/N is greater than 30,500, Seecamp still recommends Silvertips. The Guardian that can digest anything.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you like it--buy it. You will be happy. Its a well made firearm.

Erich

I'm not a Seecamp owner, but I've fired at least 5 of them and sold several at a store I managed; I notice you're not getting a lot of responses so I thought I'd chime in.

Back when these things first came out, they had a serious following - everybody wanted the .32 that was the same size as Seecamp's (smallish) .25. The average buyer seemed to be a 45-ish businessman with more extra cash than the average fellow (the Seecamps were not cheap in days of yore), and they were willing to wait the time it took to get the gun made and delivered. (Seecamp was booked up for what seemed like years, so the buyers had to wait while the gun was made and delivered to the wholesaler who had put the order in early.) The Seecamp .32 owners didn't shoot them much (Silvertip .32s ain't cheap or all that easy to find, and the guns don't have sights - which makes range shooting feel sort of silly after a while). They carried the things religiously, and I don't know of anyone ever firing one in self-defense.

The guns were very well made. And cute. And they had a big "neat-o" factor (which I think is significantly diminished by the presence of Guardians, P32s, etc., in today's market). The "neat-o" factor seemed to be a lot of what the buyer got out of his Seecamp - they were frequently written up in the gun rags, and when you brought one out (or when I had one in the case at the store), you were going to attract a lot of attention and oohs and aahs.

As I said, I've fired a number of them. They always work. They have good triggers. They are accurate at self-defense ranges - allowing for the fact that they have no sights. They don't kick much, and they are pretty all-around pleasant. (I can't tell you anything about difference between pre- and post-CNC machining, which makes me suspect that the ones I've seen are all pre-CNC.)

This is all what you should expect from a pocket pistol that cost $650 new fifteen years ago (I know, retail was half that, but who ever got one from a wholesaler for anything approaching 150% of retail?). Nowadays, I daresay you could get one for a lot less - and what does that tell you about demand?

Is it worth it? Well, your call.

If you're into it, get it. A Seecamp will work fine. I think the "neat-o" factor is gone, except with the older crowd (at 35, don't think I don't know I'm getting there). Not to be mean, but it always sort of seems pathetic and breaks my heart when an older friend hauls out his
Seecamp like it was some exotic treasure and offers to let me fire it. (And what would Freud think of that sentence! \:eek: ) I mean: Big deal; let's see the STI LS40. But the Seecamps are well-made, like a prewar Belgian .32 (which would at least be able to fire less-expensive ammo).

If you want it for serious use: It will work fine, and the super-short .32 is probably better than a .25. It's still marginal at best. But for self-defense, wouldn't you do better spending the money on a Unobtainium S&W .38/.357? It's a little bulkier, but it would weigh about the same (maybe a little less - can't remember) and would give you a lot better odds.

Kentucky Rifle

FPrice...

You didn't post what your local dealer would ask for the Seecamp. The sugested retail is $450.00 and you can now get them for around that figure due to Larry Seecamp going to CNC manufactured parts. There's obviously still lots of hand finishing, but the CNC machines have sped things up a bit. You all know that I have a "thing" for nice pocket pistols. I still consider my Seecamp the nicest one I own. Like George says, they are a pain to field strip. (At least until you do it a few times and get the hang of it.) Sometimes Silvertips "keyholed" in mine. I talked to Larry and he said "try Gold Dots". I did and I've not had a keyhole with them yet. Recently, I've been experimenting with RBCD ammunition, and that has gone well also. I too, own a Guardian and find the Seecamp to be just a little smaller and more comfortable in my pocket. (Of course BOTH are pretty comfortable to carry due to the RJ Hedley back pocket holsters I had made for each.)
As Erich says, I'm definitely part of the older crowd whose "neat-o" factor has not diminished when it comes to Seecamps. :) Both George and Erich state that the Seecamp is a "well made firearm". I couldn't agree more.
IMHO, Seecamps are the best pocket pistols made. Just about perfect in every way. If you buy one, you'll be happy with it. Get one of these pocket pistols first and then you'll have something to gauge all other pocket pistols by. :)

KR

rhoss1

I carry mine every second of the day, I forget that it is in my back pocket about 2 times a week. It is a very fine shooting pistol, I did`nt think I would be able to hit with it but I was wrong. After I shot it two or three times I could hit my targets good. The .32 seecamp makes a good backup pistol, You must shoot winchester silvertips or most seecamps will not cycle. And I have not seen a pistol that is made as good as the seecamp.I had a .32 naa pistol but it was not as easy to shoot or is nice as the seecamp. It took me 3 years to get mine, Well worth the wait!! Hoss

JKnight

I sold my first one last year and regretted it immediately. I just purchased another one last month and I’m really glad I did. I’ve owned a lot of pistols over the years but the Seecamp is my all time favorite. It’s built like a Swiss watch.

rhoss1

You are so right JKnight, The seecamp is my favorite too. One of the finest made pistols I have seen.

FPrice

All...

Thanks for the input and all the comments. This pistol would be a back-up to my primary CCW pistol, or for those times when I absolutely could not carry something else. The example I held felt very good but I would not want to depend upon the .32ACP as a primary CCW. I know I would not want to get shot by one, but I am not sure it would drop a drug-crazed or psychotic attacker quickly enough.

KentuckyRifle,

I have never seen a new Seecamp that low, and most used ones seem to be above that figure also. If you can give me a source, I'd sure like to look at them.

FPrice

rhoss1...

I would appreciate that. However, being in the People's Commonwealth poses unique problems for purchasing out of state. But I would like to know his asking price.

Thanks.

Pendragon

Citizens of California:

There is a Seecamp CA version that is approved for sale in CA.

The P32 and the Guardian are not available in the PRK at this time.

Just thought I would throw that out :)

GeorgeH

Since this has turned into a Seecamp love feast, let me say as a proud owner of 3 Seecamps that the Guardian 32 is a great gun also. It weighs 1/2 oz heavier than the Seecamp and is a hair larger. But a great gun nevertheless.

Blackhawk

I have my doubts about a .380 blowback mouse gun recoil wise, and a Seecamp .380 being successful.

The new 9mm Rohrbaugh R-9 and MS-9 are supposedly going on sale in October. They're locked breech, a little smaller than the P-32, and their recoil is about the same as a PPK .380 (a blowback design). They're likely to have a high "neat-o" appeal since they're stainless/aluminum and appear to be well crafted.

The question will be whether or not people will pay for a gun with "smarting" recoil in .380 versus "decent" recoil in 9mm, all other things being equal.

Never had a Seecamp, but did have a PPK. Not going to buy any blowback pistols in the foreseeable future....

hoplophile

The weight of the Seecamp LWS32 is 11.5 ounces unloaded versus 13.8 ounces for the North American Guardian.

The Kel Tec weighs 7.8 ounces unloaded. The advertised weight of 6.6 ounces is the pistol weighed without the magazine in the gun.

The Seecamp LWS380 is the same size as the LWS32 and weighs 13.65 ounces loaded with seven Silvertips, which is slightly less than an unloaded NA Guardian 32.

THe LWS380 is a retarded or delayed blowback, not a straight blowback. It uses a chamber ring.

kahr Carrier

Seecamp 32 excellent Ive carried mine for years in a pocket holster. But I am hoping the prk will approve the 380 Seecamp or Guardian. The plus about the Seecamp no sharp edges ,it is well rounded no snagging.:D

Kentucky Rifle

FPrice...

I purchased my Seecamp NIB from the "Downsizer Corp" in California over a year ago for $470.00. He shipped it to Kentucky and my regular gun shop did the transfer for free. (Hey, I'm a good customer!) Right now, I can't remember the city where Downsizer is located. However, I'll work on it. I do remember the owner of Downsizer telling me that he was thinking of moving his manufacturing facilities out of state due to over-regulation in Cal.

KR

hoplophile

The chamber ring is simply an annular recess in the chamber into which the case initially expands when the round is fired.

The case is bulged into the recess when the chamber pressures are highest. This retards or delays rearward movement of the case and thus thereby also slows slide movement. The system was used in a number of guns before the Seecamp 32.

The positioning of the ring in the chamber and the depth of the ring affect the degree of retardation.