See-through scope mount

How do you like see-through scope mounts?

• They are great!

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • They dont work!

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • They aren't the best thing to have, but they work.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Other?!

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dgludwig

Like others have opined, I view (pun intended :)) "see-thru" rings as an abomination. If you really need to access irons quickly with a scope mounted you may want to try the Weaver "Pivot" style mount. I have one installed on a Savage 99, chambered in .358 Winchester and it holds its zero even after much recoil and repeated "pivots".

Moloch

Ok ok, I got it, see-through scopes not a brilliant idea. Quick detachable weaver mounts is the way to go. Thank you all for the great help!

A far better solution is to go with a low power variable mounted as low as possible.
I am already eyeballing a millet 1-4x24 illuminated scope with a really good ''donut dot''. I think it perfectly fits the bill. :D

To go a little off-topic, what do you guys think about aim-points on a scout-style rifle? The aimpoint would be mounted way foward with a single mount on the top of the reciever to allow use of stripper clips. The dot wouldnt be larger than 1'' at 100yds so it would be realistically useable up to 300yds. As stated before, I would be bad at 400yds anyway, I usually only practice 100yds. Its just an idea.

And what about eye relief with a 2x Aimpoint mounted on the front reciever ring? Would it be a problem at just 2x magnification? I wish I could try it out but my dealer does not have any red dot scopes, I would have to order it....