Security Six Problem

bshefa

Not long ago I found a deal on a Colt Anaconda. However, in the deal I had to buy a Security Six stainless .357 mag also to make the sale. I paid less than the Anaconda itself was worth so really I got the Six for cheap. HOWEVER

The first time I took it out I shot 50 rounds or so with no problems but was difficult to hit the target. Took it home and cleaned it and took it out again. This time big problems. I can't get the spent casings to eject without significant force. Once the casings are out the ejector rod works fine. So I got the casings out and cleaned it again. Took it out again and had the same problem. Any thoughts? I know I could just take it to a smith, but we have a deficiency of those around here.

SwampYankee

It sounds like over-pressure rounds. Are these handloads? I have 4 Sixes and have never had an extraction problem. Ever. If they go in easily and do not want to come out, I suggest that the ammo is the problem. Try some factory .38's and see how those work.

bshefa

The ammo is not handloaded, it is the remington green box 50 round pack. Semijacketed hollowpoint. I will try .38 Special and see what happens later this week.

old bear

How does the ammo work in your other revolvers?
If you haven't check all of the charging holes to make sure there is not a carbon build up from shooting 38 special ammo.
Also really clean the area under the ejection star, to remove any unburned powder that may have built up there.

Best of luck.

bshefa

I'm not real sure why I can't hit the target well with this thing. I can hit it all day long with the Colt. Some are really wild too going several feet up and some going several feet right. I just want to get it to work long enough to sell it and make the Colt purchase even better. (I only paid $700 for both)

Edit: Trigger is fine, I have only been shooting it single action and is on par with any other revolver I have shot.

Edit 2: I unfortunately don't own another .357 mag revolver

feets

I see you're in Waco. That's not far at all.
Since it's messed up, I'll drop by and give you $150 for it this weekend. It'll make that Colt deal sweeter and give me another messed up gun to straighten out.

:D

bshefa

Gonna pass on that deal until I can figure it out. IF I get it working right I might keep it. Thanks for the offer though!

454PB

A Security Six is normally trouble free and they are heavy duty.

I agree with Old Bear, it sounds like somebody shot a lot of .38 special in the gun and didn't clean out the carbon build up in the forward portion of the chambers.

Sevens

Ruger has a terrific reputation for service and though this revolver is LONG out of production, I don't think they'd balk at making it work. I'd try and contact them.

madcratebuilder

A Security Six is normally trouble free and they are heavy duty.

I agree with Old Bear, it sounds like somebody shot a lot of .38 special in the gun and didn't clean out the carbon build up in the forward portion of the chambers.

Look at each chamber and see if you have a build up of carbon from shooting the shorter .38spl rounds. When shooting the longer .357 after the .38 the cases can be stuck from the build up.

Use a chamber mop and some polishing paste to clean the chambers.

SwampYankee

Carbon coverer chambers do sound like the problem as far as extraction. As for accuracy, the Sixes do not have a trigger anywhere near as nice as a Colt. I have shimmed all my hammers and triggers, polished the internals and swapped in lighter springs. The stock configuration Six really has a mediocre trigger. I would shoot the thing SA and see where your accuracy is. If you were switching between a Colt and a Six, you would definitely see a different in triggers and likely accuracy.

bshefa

I'll try with the polish also, however those chambers are spotless when I start out and then they stick after the first six shots. I am going to try the .38 special and some different .357 mag ammo

POKEYJOE04

I have had a couple of Security Sixes and was not particularly pleased with either. Both were relatively inaccurate for me, so I traded both off. The second one also suffered from a number of failures to fire using Remington geen box .357's. So I traded it for an old model Blackhawk made in 1965. It has a 6.5" barrel and has proven to be very accurate and reliable for me. I know other people have had good luck with Security Sixes, but they didn't seem to work for me.

nikdfish

I couldn't really make out the grips on the security six. For me, the original grips on mine were just too small & lacked "grippyness". I found it a lot easier to properly handle once I replaced them with a set of Pachmeyer Presentations...

Nick

YARDDOG(1)

The Security six Line of revoler are GREAT guns, I get good groups with handloads, 158gr with some H110 behide it.

Remington white/green box UMC are probbly 125gr whitch are pretty hot & with that 6" you ought to be tearing a ragged hole in target JMO ;)
Y/D