Scoping a Marlin 1894

Nick_C_S

Hi, I recently purchased a new Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum. I've put a whopping 45 rounds through it thus far - shoots nice. At any rate, I want to mount a scope on it, and quite literally, don't even know where to begin. I can see it's tapped for a scope mount - but that's all I know.

(Been shooting handguns and loading their ammo for over 30 years; but this is my first rifle.)

I'm sure I don't need anything fancy. But I do want quality equipment though. I'm thinking I only need something to about 100 yards, so I doubt I need a super powerful scope. I'll only be punching holes in paper/cardboard with 240 grain jacketed bullets. If it matters, my vision at a distance is good. I'm 53 years old and need reading glasses. I'll be shooting in daylight.

NoSecondBest

Just put a Weaver base on it and get some Weaver rings (I don't use them but they're affordable and nothing wrong with them except no snob appeal). I'd suggest getting a low power variable such as a 1.5-5x20mm...or close to this. It's all you need for that caliber with it's range of 100yds or a bit further on a good day. It's also sized right for the gun and doesn't look out of place. I had one of those guns in 357mag and that's about what I had on it. I can't remember any deficiencies in that set up. Unless you suffer from Hubble Envy you won't need any more power than that. They're pretty nice guns and you'll have a lot of fun with it. Good luck.

T. O'Heir

Decide on your budget first. You need bases, rings and the scope. Plus any mounting fees. Most shops will mount stuff you buy from them for free.
Think low magnification and relatively small and light weight. Variables tend to be heavy and the bigger the oculars(lenses) the more awkward it'll be.
I'd be thinking something like this, but with less eye relief(distance between your eye and the rear lens).
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/99...ifle-scope-25x-20mm-wide-duplex-reticle-matte

Guv

Weaver makes a nice base for their scope rings. A low powered (2.5X, 3X) 1" objective scope would be pretty good an a Marlin 44. A nice used Leupold Vari X II 1X4 would be awesome! Now they make a VX II 1X4, not cheap but a
quality scope that would look right and perform beautifully on your 44.

NoSecondBest

I'd be thinking something like this, but with less eye relief(distance between your eye and the rear lens).

I can't think of any reason why you'd want less eye relief than this scope has? Less eye relief on this gun potentially can cause the scope to hit your eye brow on this somewhat high recoiling light rifle. I think it's just about perfect at 4.8". Having it too close to your eye is inviting disaster. FWIW, I have one of those scopes on a Win Low Wall and it's a perfect scope for a small, light gun.

idek

I have a Marlin 1894c. I use the Warne Maxima base, because it's noticeably lower than the Weaver base that I also tried.

I got low Weaver Top Mount rings, because they are lower than anything else I could find.

My scope is the Leupold 2.5x20 that has been mentioned earlier. (Ordered a demo model for $135 from Optics Planet a while back when they were clearing some out).

I like the setup. As low as I can get, doesn't add a lot of weight (about 11 oz. for base, rings, and scope), and the quick detach rings make it easy to go back and forth between scope and iron sights--scope is sighted in for hotter ammo; irons are sighted in for mild cast lead loads.

Last edited:

jmr40

Buy Weaver, or Weaver style bases

http://swfa.com/Weaver-63B-Top-Mount-1-Piece-Base-P3033.aspx

Burris rings

http://swfa.com/Burris-Zee-1-Rings-P1284.aspx

The scope would be a close call between a 1-4X20 and 2-7X32. I like the 1-4X better, but you can get a 2-7X a little cheaper.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-ShotgunMuzzleloader-Scope-P51851.aspx
http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-VX-1-Riflescope-P51823.aspx
http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x33-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44466.aspx

You can spend more, but no reason to unless you just want to.

Dave P

So you got a great rifle, that is well balanced and carrys easily, and you want throw all that to the wind and put a top heavy scope on it???

Buckhorn sights are bad, I think. But you can put on some small, light weight peep sights that will greatly improve accuracy, without throwing the whole thing out-of-whack. Like Skinner sights.

Pathfinder45

I would just put a peep sight on it. But if you simply must put a scope on it, then it would be best to go with a compact, fixed-power scope of fairly low magnification, like 4x or less. As a rifle cartridge, the 44 Magnum is a relatively short range cartridge, at its best in a fast handling carbine for hunting in fairly heavy cover. Low magnification makes for rapid target acquisition. Your Marlin is not really a target rifle, but there's no law that says you can't have fun with it.

bamaranger

at that point

You reach a point where even a peep sight cannot save your iron sight shooting, and a scope begins to like like a viable option. Ask me how I know. For some time when I first joined this forum, I would taunt...... "no scopes, no white line spacers on your lever carbine". I still don't like white line spacers, on any firearm for that matter, but I'm at the point that a scope really helps my shooting.

I've got a Marlin '94 in .357, and have shot and carried it a bunch, and installed a Williams peep early on, which helped my shooting even in the good years. But now even the peep does not help with picking up the front sight like I should/could.

Okay, so to scope your Marlin you need a base. Bases are sold by specific model, and finding one to fit the Marlin will not be difficult. The base will attach to the receiver of the carbine via the pre-drilled and tapped holes mentioned. Obtain a proper fitting screwdriver for those screws, remove same. The base may be one or two pieces, and will have holes in the base corresponding to those in the receiver. There will also be the appropriate length screws w/ the base to correctly mount it on the receiver. You don't want this to come loose, so a drop of moderate threadlocker ( I use nail polish, cheap) on the base screws will keep the base secure. Snug the scres up, but don't get carried away and strip them, they are not big threads. Firm finger tight w/ the threadlock, is plenty.

Now you need rings. Rings are made in a wide variety, but the dia will need to match your scope, and the best look is to match finish to your rifle. One inch rings will match same sized scope tubes, and I like blued rings on blued receivers (like the Marlin"s) Rings come in a wide variety of configurations, and personally I think "vertically split rings ( as opposed to horizontal) look more appropriate. on a vintage style carbine like the Marlin. This is me, you may like conventional horizontal split. Leupold and Nikon sell affordable vertical split rings, in their "Rifleman" line. Millets are a bit more, and then there are others that cost even more. What ever rings you purchase, they need to work with your base, and near all rings these days for centerfire are of the "Weaver" pattern.

Weaver does indeed make rings themselves, but my reference here is to the crossbar and slot locking system that the company developed (I guess) and has been standardized. Watch out for rings that are intended for mounting on .22's and will be lableled "dovetailed" as they will not work. While I'm at it, the Weaver "Topmount" rings are my most hated. I cannot ever get the things to tighten up square,and have to fiddle with them a great deal. And, I do not like the big lock nut on the side, which seems unsightly, and can hang things. Strong, yes, affordable, yes, but clunky and awkward to install.

Good rings come in matched pairs, do not jumble the pieces or their orientation, keep them as matched pairs. I'm not going to try and describe the ring install, too long. YouTube may well have a tutorial on such.

You've got your rings/bases, now the scope. The Marlin is a tidy little carbine, and it needs a tidy scope. The Leupold 2.5x mentioned is indeed small, and will not overly clutter your rifle. The eye relief is around 5 inches, that's a bunch in the scope world. I ran one this year on a .44 carbine myslelf, and was entirely satisfied. The magnification level is not high at all, more like 2x I suspect. In use, the view seems near normal, except your reticle is out there as an aiming point. A step up from the Leupold 2.5x would be the 1-4x, also as mentioned. It is bigger than the fixed 2.5 by a noticeable amount, but not overly so. The AR crowd must be buying these, as used ones get snapped up about as soon as they appear.

These are $200-300 depending on where and how you do business. A slightly more affordable option may be the Weaver 1-3x, which can be had for under $200. No experience with same, but widely available on line.

Good luck with your project.

idek

The Leupold 2.5x... The magnification level is not high at all, more like 2x I suspect.
Correct. It's not quite a 2.5. Leupold's website claims an actual magnification of 2.3.

Nick_C_S

Great posts everybody - thank you. Right now, I'm just lurking and taking it all in. At this point, I just wanted everybody to know that I'm here, and learning a lot.

Thanks again. Feel free to add on.

Pathfinder45

My Marlin Cowboy wears a Marbles tang sight and a Lyman globe front. Aiming, you just put the circles on target and squeeze. My shooting comrade said, "H**l, buddy, you can't even miss with those sights.". An exaggeration, to be sure, but it's kinda true. We are both past 55 and need reading glasses. I still really like a good aperture sight.

44 AMP

Staff
One other item...

That I didn't see anyone mention, perhaps because its not a necessity, but it is a huge convenience.

HAMMER EXTENSION

There are a couple different styles, get the round kind or the flat "wing" kind, mount on the left or the right side, your preference.

Clamps on the hammer with a set screw.

Trust me, there WILL come a time when you want to cock or lower the hammer, and find your fat finger or thumb being a very awkward fit between the hammer and the scope tube. Even worse in the cold with gloves.

If you have a scope on one of the pre-pushbutton safety Marlins, its VERY useful. On the new style guns, its just useful.

2DaMtns

I have an 1894c in 357. I put an XS ghost ring setup on it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...-marlin-1894-with-round-barrel-aluminum-black

Then I topped it with a pretty cheap red dot scope with 2x magnification. I'm sure some purists would hate it, but it's my gun, and I like it. The red dot allows for rapid target acquisition and helps in low light or dark conditions. I like that I can take the optic off and put it back on and not lose the zero (enough to matter, if any). If I was way out in the woods with it and something happened to my optic, I can take it off in less than 30 seconds and still have a fully functioning rifle. I intend to look for or have made a small see-through spacer that will lift the scope up just enough to still use the ghost ring sights. With this setup and shooting Leverevolution, it's an accurate and fun little setup. I'll post a pic later tonight.

2DaMtns

As promised. Sorry for the delay. I think I'm going to switch the red dot out for a scout scope or a low power variable one. Still thinking about it. But you can see the mount on the 1894, at least.

Attachments

• 0221162043.jpg
    0221162043.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 0221162044.jpg
    0221162044.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 14
  • 0221162044a.jpg
    0221162044a.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 12

NoSecondBest

Here's a much better option for a red dot. A Burris FF3 on a Turnbull mount. It fits better on the gun and performs quite well for accuracy. Group shot at 114yds off my deck to backstop with a brisk cross wind.

Attachments

• WinMiroku 1886 004.JPG
    WinMiroku 1886 004.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 21
  • WinMiroku 1886 002.JPG
    WinMiroku 1886 002.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 15

stagpanther

I just outfitted my new 41 mag with the VX II 1.5 x 4--but my 44 mag lever rossi has the FX 1 fixed 2.5 which has proven to be an outstanding scope in the woods over the years--it's clarity is so good it makes up for not having as much magnification as higher variable scopes--I would recommend it as a top choice for a lever where you need the extra eye-relief if mounting the scope in place of the rear barrel iron. Despite my poor eyesight I have managed MOA at 100 yds with it on my rossi. Another interesting feature that is not advertised as far as I know--but over the years I've learned to shoot it with both eyes open--it's magnification is low enough it doesn't confuse the eyes and gives a wider "situational awareness" much like a red dot.