Scope mounting torque wrench suggestions

seanc

I got the Wheeler Fat wrench after years of just wrenching down to what felt right, until I cracked a stock.

Advice from a machinist given years ago (for auto repair, but applies to any torque wrench):
1. Zero when putting away (already mentioned).
2. Never use it to loosen, only to tighten.

ocharry

seanc.. that no. 2 you mentioned is a good one too

1. zero whan putting away

2. never use to loosen, only to tighten

ocharry

CEldon

I picked up a Capri torque wrench yesterday, from Harbor Freight. It's a ASME/ISO certified, Taiwan manufactured wrench, 10-50 in-lb in 1 in-lb increments, 1/4 magitized hex, +-6% CW with 16 bits and a case.

The +-6% CW could be better, but if i stay 1in-lb under every time, I'll be good to go. The torqueed fasteners i will be using don't have that kind of critical torque requirements.

I removed and remounted the Leupold scope, using the regular hex wrench, and reinstalled everything with the Capri wrench. It was a good time to move the scope a little further forward too. The torque was surprisingly stronger than i had guesstimated on the first non-wrench effort.

In a week or so, i'll hit the range for a zeroing effort.

Thanks

Nathan

Not bad…+/-3 in lbs. I think even best quality torque wrenches are +/-3% of range.

Did it come with a calibration certificate showing the readings?

Jim567

I checked my wheeler fat wrench to make sure I had returned to zero.
I had!
Appreciate the reminder guys.

Picher

I don't have a torque wrench for screws, but for larger bolts. I'm a home-gunsmith with kind of a good reputation and have tightened thousands of screws by hand and don't remember breaking any, but am very careful and use well-fitting gunsmith screwdrivers.