Scope mounting torque wrench suggestions

CEldon

A couple of weeks ago i mounted a new Leupold scope. First time mounting a scope. Among other tools, the instructions suggested using a torque wrench/driver to tighten the screws to a specific torque.

I have a lot of basic tools, but not that one.

Any suggestions on a good, proven wrench?

Thanks

CEldon

I see the Wheeler brand torque wrenches everywhere. It is a popular brand, and gets some pretty solid reviews, but i have decided to avoid anything from China as much as i can.

The Vortex brand (Taiwan) and Weaver (USA i think) seem to be the only USA options i can find right now. Finding the true manufacturing location for things is sometimes pretty difficult.

Another aspect of this search is the amount of torque required for mounting a scope. I don’t have the instructions in front of me, and I’m pretty sure all scope requirements are different, but is 10 fp a low enough tourque for the job?

Thanks

Nathan

To cover every optic mount I’ve run into, I would need 8-70inlbs.

I wish I knew who made one in the USA. To get that range, they often want you 2 buy 3 tools.

CEldon

Thanks for the clarification. These tools are in “inch pounds”, not “foot”.

OK, so 8 is a good lower torque. I see a lot of these wrenches at 10.

As I have been opening my search efforts, I see that some bike focused wrenches, like Tektron, work in the same area. Does anyone use a non scope related wrench like this?

Ricklin

Torque is torque. Wat the tool is marketed for makes little difference, if any. As previously mentioned it's inch pounds, not foot.
The key is reasonable quality and the range of torque the tool is designed for. Choose a torque wrench where your desired torque is near the middle of the range of torque the tool is designed for. Getting close to the high or low torque value can produce undesirable results.

CEldon

Good point! Torque is torque.

That opens the window a good bit. And the point of finding a wrench that is rated for my needs to be mid-range is a good point.

Thanks

CEldon

I also see, on the Leupold site, that they say 28ip is the maximum torque. Like others have remarked, that seems like a very high torque for such a small screw. I guess there is also a chance of possibly distorting the inner workings of a scope if over torqued.

What does an 18ip +- torque sound like? A dependable middle ground?

GlenF

Although not inexpensive, a TS-30 manufactured by Utica in Orangeburg, S.C. would eliminate any guesswork about accuracy.

The one I have used for circuit board hardware attachments had a range of 6 - 30in lb.

By the way " torque spike " is non existent on this device.

Last edited:

tangolima

10 to 70 inch-lb sounds right. The higher end of the range is for action screws.

The rings usually come with recommended torque settings. If not, the wrench usually comes with general recommendations on different applications.

I dust the rings and scope tube with rosin powder. It adds extra grip.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Paul B.

I've been using a Wheeler Fat Wrench for quite a while and have been perfectly satisfied with the tool. I haven't done any scope changes in a long time, probably not in the last 6 or 7 years and definitely haven't removed a barreled action for a stock for an even longer period than for a scope. Just haven't seen the need. I just use it now to insure screws have stayed tightened to the proper torque.
Paul B.

CEldon

I just looked at the Utica line of wrenches. Nice looking tool. The adjustable B line has a 15 to 75ip span. The lower 15ip may be just a little to high for some applications and you are absolutely correct, they are not inexpensive. If this was my bread and butter trade, the price might be more acceptable, but it's not. Nice looking tool though.

Using rosin powder seems like an added measure, but how does that powder do over time and does it effect the stability of the ring clamps?

ocharry

i have a weaver brand inlb driver wrench...i like it and it works fine..my boy has the wheeler brand and it too seem to do just fine

had it for 10+ years...seems to do just fine....lol.. 10 might be a little light...lol

one thing i havent seen anybody mention is that when you get finished using what ever brand you get....remember to always take the setting back to zero when you ar finshed....for storage

for me i dont really think it is about how accurate the wrench is....i think it is more about consistancy......yes accurate +/- 2-3%.....but i think it is more about consistancy....if you set it on 18 inlb and it turns out to be 20....or 16...as long as the screws/ bolts are the same i think you are golden

i dont think you would be bad with any of the brands out there....because any of them will be better than none

just my thoughts

ocharry

CEldon

That’s interesting Ocharry, returning the tool to zero when you’re finished with it. Little points like that help keep things lasting and working correctly and longer.

It appears that the better made wrenches start somewhere around $75, on up to hundreds. Even those used on road bikes are in that range. I’ll pick one up here pretty soon.

Thanks again

CEldon

The Borka brand is interesting. Their made primarily in the US, with some items coming from Taiwan. Snipercentral had a positive article on the company too, but the Borka web site has a “Temporary shutdown notice” that seems to be effecting shipping.

I’ll keep an eye out for that brand. Maybe in the used market.

Thanks

Pahoo

I do recomment you get a Torque Wrench ??

I see the Wheeler brand torque wrenches everywhere. It is a popular brand, and gets some pretty solid reviews, but i have decided to avoid anything from China as much as i can.
I have been mounting scopes for a number of years and most of that time, without the use any kind of torque wrench. Bought a Wheeler about two years ago, mostly to confirm my historical procedure. Turns out that the Wheeler "suggested" setting was tighter. They list a target setting and that's fine. In actual use, there is a range and I happen to fall at the lower end.I have reworked some mounts that were so tight that it damages the scope tubes and that's ugly. ..... ;)

I understand that you want to shy away from anything that is made in China but that that's not working very well for any of "us"!!

Be Safe !!!