Schofield

S&W's major concern with the. 45 Colt, beside is length, was the tiny rim. They felt it would not work reliably and worked with I think US Cartridge Co. to develop the .45 S&W.

It was not just a cut down .45 Colt.

The rims on the commercial ammunition that S&W supplied with their guns was, from what I've read, nominally .525, with some running even larger. Remember, this was the early days of cased ammunition, and there could be a lot of variations that worked in. I've never been fortunate enough to find an example of the original S&W production ammunition, but I've heard that there are some examples out there.

Apparently the Army found that SOME of the cartridges S&W supplied would work fine in both the Schofield and the Peacemaker, while others, the ones with the larger rims, interfered and rendered the gun to a 3 shot.

When it became apparent that the S&Ws were going to be in Army hands for awhile, Frankford Arsenal took over production of the round and reworked its dimensions so that the rim would work in both the S&W and the Peacemaker.

Today's .45 S&W cartridge is dimensionally very similar to the compromise design that Frankford Arsenal came up with.

Howdy Again

I won't say I know everything there is to know about the Schofield cartridge, but that information is new to me. Care to mention where you read it?

On July 12, 1875 Smith and Wesson delivered 3000 Schofield revolvers to the Springfield Armory, across town from the Smith and Wesson factory. According to Jerry Kuhnhausen in his Colt Single Action Revolvers Shop Manual, the Frankford Arsenal began supplying the Revolver Ball Cartridge, Caliber 45, M1875 sometime in 1875. He goes on to say, "The M1875 cartridge enabled ordinance to manufacture one .45 caliber revolver cartridge that could be fired in both the Colt S.A.A. and the S&W Schofield Model Revolvers."

This was the Benet primed round I have referred to several times in this thread. In the photo below the two copper cased rounds, 3rd and 4th from the left, are to the best of my knowledge a pair of those rounds. Unfortunately, there is no marking on the case heads. But the two longer, 45 Colt rounds on the left have no markings, and I can prove they were made by the Frankford Arsenal in 1874.

The rim diameter of those two Benet primed Schofield rounds is .518, almost exactly the same as modern Schofield rims.

45%20colt%20benet%2045%20colt%20benet%2045%20Schof%20benet%2045%20Schof%20benet%2045%20Schof%20%20455%20colt%20455%20MK%20II_zpstpzjxzxy.jpg

And they fit quite nicely in the cylinder of my Colt.

SAA%20cylinder%20schofields%20455%20colt%20455%20MK%20II_zpsrlufwxdm.jpg

So, if Frankford Arsenal standardized the dimensions of the Schofield round the very same year they were accepted by the Army, what the heck are we arguing about? A few rounds that S&W supplied just for the trials? By the time the Army got serious about the Schofield ammo dimensions, all those details had been worked out and the ammo could be fired in either the Colt or the Smith.

By the way, the two rounds all the way on the right in my photo are a 455 Colt and a 455 MK II. The rim diameter of the 455 Colt is .530, the rim diameter of the 455 MK II is .525. Yes, Jim Watson, they both will fit into my Colt cylinder. Unfortunately I only have one of each, so I cannot have two of each in adjacent chambers to see if they fit. According to Kuhnhuasen, the SAA was chambered for 455 Eley and 476 Eley. I dunno if 455 Eley is the same as either of my cartridges.

On another note, Ken Howell patented a 45 Colt conversion cylinder for the replica 1858 Remington C&B revolvers. Because the cylinder was too small to accommodate six 45 Colt rims next to each other, he angled the chambers out approximately 1/2 of one degree, so the rims would fit.

P.S. The rims on those 45 Colt rounds are only .502 in diameter. Just enough to keep the rounds from sliding through the chambers.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

Thanks, DJ.
Makes you wonder just how many troopers with Smiths got stuck with Colt-only ammo which had only been GI for two years before the '75 loads came out.

Jim

For a long time I thought that such mix ups were largely fiction, as I had not seen any factual reports of it actually happening. However in his 1977 book, History of Smith and Wesson, Roy Jinks mentions that on several occasions such a mix up did happen, under 'battle conditions'. However he does not offer any specifics.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The rim size of the "Schofield" cartridges loaded by FA was increased several times and ended up at .523", where 6 would still fit in the SAA. As Driftwood says, the rim size of the Model 1909 cartridge runs .538", too large for six rounds to be loaded into the SAA cylinder. (It would be too large for the Schofield also, but it is too long to fit into the S&W cylinder so rim diameter is moot.) AFAIK, the Model 1909 cartridge was never made by anyone except Frankford Arsenal, and the Army never contracted for any from a commercial company.

Mike, thanks for the info on the ammunition S&W had made. I was almost certain that S&W did not care about its test ammo fitting the Colt, but I am glad to have it confirmed. The test ammo thus was something of a dead end.

Now to another interesting rim size situation. Colt made the SAA for British sales in .450 Eley/Boxer, which had a small rim, so there was no problem. But when Colt made the SAA (and Bisley) for the later .476 Eley* and .455 Eley, they found the rims to be too large (.530") to allow loading six into the cylinder. So they drilled the .455 and .476 chambers at an angle to the bore!

*Colt always called the British rounds by the names "Boxer" and "Eley", though most collectors today use the name "Webley". Apparently, Colt's aversion to putting a competitor's name on their guns extended even to the British maker, so they used the names of the inventor (Boxer) and the cartridge maker (Eley) rather than the name of the gun maker, Webley.

Jim

I frankly don't remember where that information came from. I may have read it in a old back issue of American Rifleman when I was on staff there, or it may have been in one of the books in the reference library.

The point was that the ammo S&W supplied to the Army had rims that were significantly larger than rounds today, or the rounds the Army later loaded, which the company felt was necessary to work positively with the auto ejector feature.

Jeff #111

Well this thread is fascinating and I now want a New Model No. 3 in 44 Russian more than ever. Just like Robert Culp in "Trackdown" and "Hannie Caulder". It will make a nice companion for my Webley Mk VI. :D

Thanks a lot guys.

Jeff #111

Oh and a S&W Second Model Russian would also be great. I don't even care that the ergonomics are terrible. It just looks cool.

Stephanie B

Wyatt Earp, who reputedly knew a couple of things about revolvers, carried a S&W .44 American when he went into the OK Corral gunfight.

What is disputed? That he knew a thing or two about revolvers, unjustly caused the fight or that he was carrying a S&W .44 American?

Nobody has ever been able to prove without a doubt what type of gun Wyatt was carrying at the OK corral. It was just a local skirmish between some cowboys and some local lawmen.

But if you go back and look at that New Model Number Three of mine, it is generally thought that Serial Number 3766 was used by Robert Ford to kill Jesse James.