SCC (Single Caliber Choice)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Since I'm a handloader, I'll just stay with the old '06, thank you. It works nicely for anything from squirrels on up to Great Big.

:), Art

twoblink

308, cheap ammo, is everywhere, and I have an M1A and Mauser that digest it just fine..

It will take down whatever you want to kill in North America; politicians included...;)

Dave R

Going with the majority. .30-06 for hand loaders, .308 for non-hand loaders.

This thread has more unanimity than most at TFL...

Zorro

North America: 30-06.

Africa: .416 Rigby.

The .308 seriously fails to perform with bullets heavier than 165 grains, and some boat tailed bullet designs lighter than that. Problem is the compact case and short neck of the cartridge.

NotQuiteSane

Can't narrow it down to 1, but I can to 2:

30-06 & 10mm

put the '06 in a mauser style bolt action, and the 10 in a steel pistol.

NQS

Kaboom

45/70 in any well made single shot. Do anything that needs doing anywhere in the world. If all you have is primers then everything else you need can be made. They will take home made powder much better than bottleneck cases. Just a thought.

Glen R

.308 for me. If the rest of these cartridges are so great, why do snipers stick with the .308?

Cheers,
Glen

Joe Demko

308 for me. If the rest of these cartridges are so great, why do snipers stick with the .308?

Because militaries tend to think in logistical terms. Even though the match grade .308 as used by snipers isn't really the same thing as the ball ammo that goes on belts to feed machine guns or is used in battle rifles, it soothes the military mind to believe that they really aren't introducing an additional complication into their already nightmarish supply situation.