scary find

Shadi Khalil

Unless it's a repeat occurrence, I wouldn't worry about it.

A friend of mine likes to pick up fired slugs when he goes shooting. He thinks it funny to scatter them in parking lots :eek:.

While I'm a person who always enjoys a good prank, that one is overboard. Imagine if there was a shooting investigation in one of the lots your buddy likes to sprinkle spent slugs in. That was cause a lot of confusion for detectives.

PawPaw

Shadi Khalil said:
That was cause a lot of confusion for detectives.

After 30 years in police work, (some of that as a detective), I've come to the conclusion that detectives operate most of the time in a state of confusion. It's their natural state.

ltc444

The TV program "The Closer" (my wife likes the show, I like Kyra) had an excellent epsode on what happens when you miss.

Most people forget that what goes up must come down.

I reoriented my shooting range because I had an occassional round sprang off into the distance.

mongo356

This year during deer season, a woman was sitting at her computer in front of her double pane window. Deer slug made it through one pane and lodged in the window between the two.

orionengnr

I was hit by a ricocheted 158 gn 38 special
If you shoot Steel Plate matches for any length of time, you will be hit by ricochets. I have only attended about six matches, and have been hit 3-4 times.
A friend of mine likes to pick up fired slugs when he goes shooting. He thinks it funny to scatter them in parking lots
You need a better caliber of friend.
Your friend needs his arse kicked...and chances are, he will get exactly that. I hope it is soon.

publius

Well, you should doubt this. There is a very good chance that when it landed, it was traveling very slowly.

Nope, There is nothing to richochet off of anywhere around. It landed almost perfectly on its nose and compressed half of it's length, perfect undamaged base.. Note: I'm not really scared and don't even have a hardhat, I was kidding:).

RsqVet

So your friend who scatters slugs in parking lots enjoys leaving fake physical evidence for the gun hating groups to point to as evidence of the mayhem in the streets?

Dumb move in my book.

Nope, There is nothing to richochet off of anywhere around. It landed almost perfectly on its nose and compressed half of it's length, perfect undamaged base..

So the driveway and NE Jackson is located somewhere in outer space? How can your grandmother's driveway be in the good part of town, only a mile from the bad part of town, and there be nothing for the bullet to ricochet off of? So there are no trees, cars, ground, structures, streets, etc. within a few hundred yards of the driveway?

Skadoosh

If a bullet is fired at anything much less than about 85 or so degrees, it will remain lethal over the entire course of its flight.

I was hit by a 180gr Hydra-Shok fired from a Glock that had passed through a cinder block wall sandwiched between two sheets of drywall and bathroom tile that was fired from less than 5ft away. It literally bounced off my levi's with little effect. It was pretty much completely intact and had failed to expand.

So much for that theory...

Glenn E. Meyer

I saw a 45 ACP round bounce off a truck tire and come back and whack a guy in the chest for a bad bruise.

Once, when I live in an apt., I was swimming in the complex's pool and saw something shining on the bottom. Dove down and picked it up and it was a 38 SPL round - intact - brass, bullet, unfired, etc.

dascottsman

I had a amigo that used to like to pick up brass at the range and drop 4 or 5 9mm casings here and there..........Goofy cat......:D

Skadoosh,

Read what I posted again, please.

I said NOTHING about it penetrating anything.

Of course if a bullet penetrates something it is going to lose velocity and power. The more it penetrates, the more it is going to slow down, the less stable it is going to be, and the less range it is going to have.

MY scenario is based on the OP's description of the bullet being found about a mile from the "bad part of town," the assumption being that it was fired from there and landed in the driveway.

That means that it was fired up into the air at an angle sufficient to give it that kind of range.

If it had hit anything of consequence in its initial flight up, chances are it wouldn't have made it a mile - it would have quickly become unstable and would have likely only made it a few hundred yards.

But, as I said, a bullet will, unless fired almost vertically (which will bleed off virtually all forward velocity and result in the bullet falling back under the force of gravity, and often tumbling, resulting in even further reduced return velocity) retain sufficient velocity and energy to seriously wound or kill someone.

Skadoosh

I stand corrected. I often marvel at how the reader can misinterpret the written word with no fault of the writer

B.N.Real

We used to live in an apartment complex in Dumfries,Virginia decades ago.

We had a guy that committed suicide with handgun,the bullet went through his head,out the window of his living room,across the space between our two apartment buildings and hit the steel frame on our bedroom window,on the wall where our headboard was,making a perfect round dent on the outside of the steel frame and cracking the bedroom window glass.

The guy was a nice young man,I'd have never thought life had gotten to him that badly.

He never messed with anyone.

Ben Towe

How do you know it was a .40cal?
Undamaged base.

I was once hit by a 5.56mm ricochet at close range. In the face. Very scary. I was fully certain for a few seconds that my brains were smeared on the ground behind me. Don't shoot a brake master cylinder with an M4..