scary find

publius

sorry, I don't have a pic. i found a .40 cal slug that was pretty well compressed laying in my Grandmother's driveway in Jackson, MS. This was in NE Jackson(the good part of town) but is only a mile or so accross the highway from the bad part of town. I have no doubt that it would have severely injured, if not killed someone if it had landed on them. I don't think I will resort to wearing a hardhat but that's pretty scary.

MTT TL

Maybe. Then again it might not have.

I had soldier end up with a 7.62X39 bullet that ricocheted went through a window, hit them in the leg and there was no wound. The bullet tore a hole in the pocket and gave them a small welt though. It happened in the middle of a meeting with a bunch of Police and soldiers. One of the more bizarre things I have ever seen.

Jeremiah/Az

A neighbor, about a quarter mile away, found a bullet hole in his house, attic section. It's a rural area with a dirt road 1/4 mile away. It looks like it was fired from that road.

cookie5

I was hit by a ricocheted 158 gn 38 special years ago! lucky for me I saw this thing comming at me and I thought it was a horse fly, I moved and the bullet hit me in the head and it really hurt bad. I was lucky!.

markj

Years ago, Dad was asleep, a guy shot at the house, the bullet entered the wall 1 ft away from his head, that bullet richocheted around the ceiling and floor till it ended up in a cloths hamper. Was a .38 was over Christmas holiday we were at the Granparents in North Omaha, Spaulding street about 33rd.

JR_Roosa

The bullet might not have landed in the driveway. I just flew across the country with a ball of shooting range buckshot stuck in the sole of my shoe. Could have been stuck to your tire or fell off something else.

-J.

Maybe you don't know Grandma as well as you thought you knew Grandma?

Check her girdle drawer for a box of Black Talons. :p

kozak6

Unless it's a repeat occurrence, I wouldn't worry about it.

A friend of mine likes to pick up fired slugs when he goes shooting. He thinks it funny to scatter them in parking lots :eek:.

I have no doubt that it would have severely injured, if not killed someone if it had landed on them. I don't think I will resort to wearing a hardhat but that's pretty scary.

Well, you should doubt this. There is a very good chance that when it landed, it was traveling very slowly. That is was compressed might have been the result of hitting something before ending up on the driveway. Ricochets that destabilize the bullet will also bleed off energy very quickly.

NYPD13

Caught a 45 ACP ricochet at an indoor range in the foot. Luckily it dumped most of its velocity and energy before finding me, allowing it to bounce off my boot with nothing more than a mild stinging sensation.

"Well, you should doubt this. There is a very good chance that when it landed, it was traveling very slowly."

It all depends on the angle at which it is fired.

If a bullet is fired at anything much less than about 85 or so degrees, it will remain lethal over the entire course of its flight.

Patriot86

Sorry to hear that, we have had issues like this @ my families place in WI but obviously not for criminal reasons. People just love to shoot at deer and other critters in our one field from the road. We find shell casings, arrows etc all the time. One of the dumb-asses even hit one of our outbuilding windows with a 22...probably intentionally this last season. Get Grandma a nice retirment condo in Florida; that might help!

jborushko

We used to find them on the flight line, apron all the time.

same here at Mcchord AFB. to date 3ea .45acp, 9ea 9mm, and 1ea .40. over the last 8 years thats what i and my friends have found

It all depends on the angle at which it is fired.

If a bullet is fired at anything much less than about 85 or so degrees, it will remain lethal over the entire course of its flight.

You are assuming the bullet didn't hit anything. It was noted to be compressed. As a ricochet or a round that had penetrated an object or objects, it may have been traveling pretty darned slow. Destabilized ricochets loose their energy very quickly.

For that matter, without knowing how the bullet got to the driveway, there is no reason to make any assumptions about it one way or the other. It is a damaged bullet, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

bhcarl

I do some metal detecting and always find bullets, they are every where,parks, playgrounds,yards, you name it, most are old but some are new, every bullet ever fired ends up somewhere.