Scariest looking and most effective defense handgun ever

saspic

While I honestly don't worry about the intimidation aspect of my gun, I do recall a firsthand story from another forum where a senior citizen was accosted by a (I think female) mugger. He produced his Kel-Tec P-32, which the mugger believed was a toy! Initially, she did not back down, and he almost pulled the trigger when she finally figured it out and ran.:eek:
So while some might conclude this topic is juvenile, it's another reason to carry from 9mm on up, in my opinion.
(saspic carries a full size GLOCK 20 in 10mm)

T. O'Heir

"...a flame ten or fifteen feet long..." No cartridge that isn't fired out of a tank gun does that. In any case, handguns aren't in the least bit scary unless they're pointed at you. However, a blued, short barreled, large bore, can be a bit more intimidating if you polish the muzzle. Makes the hole look bigger.

zxcvbob

"...a flame ten or fifteen feet long..." No cartridge that isn't fired out of a tank gun does that. In any case, handguns aren't in the least bit scary unless they're pointed at you. However, a blued, short barreled, large bore, can be a bit more intimidating if you polish the muzzle. Makes the hole look bigger.

<voice=Maxwell Smart> Would you believe five to ten feet? </voice>

Nnobby45

The scariest gun would be the one pointed at me.

A small gun hard to spot is no less scary than Dirty Harry's carry piece.

WESHOOT2

6 and 0

I do not subscribe to the
"If you pull it you must use it"
school of defense behavior; I subscribe to the
"Every situation will be different; it will be dynamic; you will not have time to carefully consider your options; if not trained to do something specific you will flounder in your search for something to do; firing is the final option but one that requires everything else be tried first; firing is not ideal unless absolutely required".

At least in my survivor-head.......

(my opinion only, but I am still here able to offer them ;-)

Socrates

Any of the big cartridges, 45 colt and up, and loaded with a light bullet, and H-110, or a slow burning rifle powder, can give you a very big fireball. The powder gets enough pressure going to move the bullet, with very little of the powder burned. Powder, is also a projectile, when it's not burnt, and, it's accelerated more easily, and faster then a bullet. Anyone that's tried to chronograph such a load knows you can one, screw up your chrono, and, two, get false readings.

nate45

I found these on the web

400px-Tom_500_nightfiring.jpg

315094375_da2d13482c.jpg

48120343.File0295.jpg

Since we are talking about distances of two or three yards, the flash, coupled with the noise and shock-wave may have some effect.

Last edited:

Hafoc

It is at times like this that I remember the gentle words of that great philosopher of my college days, Dangerous Dan.

There had been a series of rapes on campus. The radical Women's Rights organization was so angry-- remember, these are LEFTISTS-- that they actually put an opinion piece in the newspaper that female students should be (GASP!) allowed to carry .38 snubbies.

Dan wrote back saying he was shocked, disgusted, appalled that they would say such a thing-- when everyone knew that a 9mm or .40 autopistol was much more effective. (He sounds like most of the posters on this forum!)

But he ended his newspaper letter, which they actually printed, with this :

"But in the final analysis, remember this. Handguns are fine weapons. But for truly establishing and maintaining a territorial imperative nothing beats a 24-inch electric start chainsaw turning at high revs."

Words to live by.

sigsooie

If you are a decent shot, I don't think the bad guy would ever notice the muzzle flash. As far as the most intimidating gun............ I would find looking into the black hole a bit intimidating with any gun. The bigger the black hole, the more intimidating it gets.

CraigC

"Every situation will be different; it will be dynamic; you will not have time to carefully consider your options; if not trained to do something specific you will flounder in your search for something to do; firing is the final option but one that requires everything else be tried first; firing is not ideal unless absolutely required".

True, every situation is different and must be judged individually. Which pretty much goes for everything. However, I do not want to hesitate for even a fraction of a second waiting for my adversary to "be intimidated". He has however long it takes for me to draw and raise the pistol to a firing position to surrender. I am not a policeman, I do not yell "drop your weapon", I do not have the luxury of backup, I do not learn self defense tactics from Hollywood.

Socrates

I can't remember where it came from, except that it was an interview with guys in jail. They talked about how they sized up cops, and, decided if they should get in a shooting war with them.

Generally ran like this:

New wonder 9: figure it doesn't get used much, guy doesn't care about, or, can't pick his own gun. Also likely he can't modify his gun. Probably uses just to qualify with, and, shooting ability in question.

1911, Sig Sauer 220, 45 ACP in general:

Guy knows guns, and, the department has a shooter making the choices. Officer has to know how to shoot, and, it takes more practice to qualify with 45 ACP, since it recoils a bit, and, you need to practice. Big bullets, effective, and, generally well placed.

SFPD with Model 57 in .41 Magnum. These guns were issued a while ago, and, they had the option to move up to plastic pistols. Anyone that stayed with the .41, BEWARE. The trigger on a 57 requires practice, and, the gun is deadly accurate, and the round hits hard, and penetrates, leaving two holes. Do NOT engage...

Single Action, 45 Colt, usually Border Patrol. If the guy has qualified with that gun, he's a shooter, and, you don't want any part of him...

BillCoe

So there you are in the dark with your big gun pointed at the bad guy, crying, cause you bought the biggest, baddest MF you ever saw - but they can't see it.

Nothing says "please pay attention and be polite" like the pump action noise on any pump shotgun. I have a little 12 ga,, sort of a Teminator style weapon. Kind of like this-------->
SR788-1.gif

Hard to shoot uber accurately yet hard to miss in close quarter combat situations, it's easy to to take a target out, and it will not go through your wall and kill a neighbor.

Most likely.

nate45

You carry that 12 Ga. around in an IWB rig, do ya?

As far as home defense goes, I've got an alarm system, a Rottweiler, numerous shotguns, an AR, a Garand , 1911s and flashlights. Not to mention I live in a relatively crime free area.

Smaug

I wonder if the original poster would let us know what research he has done to base his opinion on. If it is simply polling folks, that's one thing.

I would think the biggest psychological effect would be from a big bore, double action revolver, loaded with hollow points. There's just something about being able to SEE all those bullets. One knows the gun is loaded and the holder of the gun is not messing around.

I'd think a single action revolver would not instill as much fear, as it makes folks think of cowboy movies.

Autos may be more prevalent in the movies, but there's no bullets visible, just the open barrel.

RsqVet

My vote would be for the HK MP5K-PDW. Impractical for the point of this pole but then the whole thing strikes me as a bit out there so why not. HK sold the thing with a rig to carry under the arm and self deploy the stock as it was shouldered.

Talk about a come to jesus moment if you are on the recieving end.

Utimately I think the weapon is of minmal consequnce and the weapon holders demeanor is of great import --- A seecamp held buy one well versed in verbal judo and a good voice may get more respect than a 1911 in the hands of someone obviously ready to urinate on themselves.

nate45

I wonder if the original poster would let us know what research he has done to base his opinion on.

It was based on speculation and years of reading about and carrying pistols for SD.

I was waxing my pistol collection and I thought my nickel plated, 3.5 inch S&W .357 Model of 1950 looked the most intimidating. It was lying next to my blued S&W Model 29-2, Model 57, Colt SAA .45, and WW1 Repro 1911.

While I was thinking about it I put down my S&W 19 no dash and Glock 22 beside them. Thats not every great combat pistol, but its several of them and could represent several more.

N-frame S&Ws aren't small and the nickel finish of my Model 1950 makes it look even larger, the profile of the 3.5 inch barrel makes it look particularly wicked. The bore diameter is not as large as the .41 or .44, but if it was suddenly pointed at you, I think it would look big enough. Couple all that with the noise and flash it makes when fired and it all adds up to a fairly scary package. Not to mention what the projectiles it fires are capable of doing.

It was all just speculation on my part, I would feel confident carrying every pistol I own for SD and some I don't. I know what I can do and they will do to flesh and bone. I was just guessing at what they might do to someone's mind.

BillCA

Yellowfin said:
Looks like I'm adding a S&W 57 to my shopping list for when I get back to the free world.

You certainly seemed impressed when you fired mine. :p

YellowFin02S.jpg

That was five months ago... we need to do it again! ;)