Saying so long to HS-6

Hammerhead

One and eight pounders of 2400 at Reloading Unlimited.

Reloading without compromise requires mail order and not just prices we like.

Thanks for the link, You are right, I'll look at one more store that just opened nearby, if no luck then it's time to order online.

random guy

Anyone tried Alliant 300-MP?

Their numbers are killer. Appears to outpace Lil Gun, H110, 2400...pretty much everything. It might replace several magnum pistol powders around here if it's for real.

Nick_C_S

Power Pistol - stays - Just bought it and haven't really tested it much.

Definitely stays in my inventory too. Looks (and meters) identical to Bullseye. Like Bullseye, it's spunky and very unforgiving (I know you're a seasoned loader, so that's not an issue for you). Power Pistol is slower than Bullseye, of course. But it has a similar high energy characteristic. It's the Bullseye of the intermediate burn rate range powders - so to speak.

You'll like Power Pistol. Makes bullets go fast. It also ignites easily and operates well over a fairly broad range. I'm sitting on about six #'s of it right now; so obviously, I'm committed to it.

Nick_C_S

Anyone tried Alliant 300-MP?

No. But according to Alliant, it's a really big and slow propellant. That's the opposite direction I wanted to go when I chose to phase out W296. I moved to 2400 because it's a little faster and behaves more "balanced" out of my 3" & 4" bbl 357's and 5" 44. But even at that, I use it only for heavy bullets.

300 MP is better suited for longer barrels. If it was in my inventory, I'd only use it for my 20" lever-action; or maybe - maybe - my 8-3/8" "Dirty Harry."

BillM

I really miss HS-6's big brother--HS-7. Currently the wife and I go through
16-24 lbs of HS-6 per year. USPSA Open Division, pushing a 115 jhp WAY
out at the limit in 9mm.
VihtaVuori N320 for normal 9mm and 40 S&W, and some carefully
hoarded Solo 1000 for 45 ACP.

Geezerbiker

I haven't seen any 2400 anywhere in over 3 years... I have notifications in at all the online powder sources. I'm thinking maybe it's been discontinued

Tony...

Hammerhead

I have high hopes for the new IMR Blue as a 357 powder, but it might be years before we see that data, and I don't feel like experimenting without a chrono.

Nick_C_S

I'm thinking maybe it's (2400) been discontinued

Not likely. It's a very popular propellant with a long fabled history (Elmer Keith). If it was discontinued, it would probably spark crowds of protesters - pitchforks in hand :p.

rclark

Like I said above in my post, I saw 2400 in new bottles on the shelf on Thursday. So it is still out there. I just don't need any.

74A95

I haven't seen any 2400 anywhere in over 3 years... I have notifications in at all the online powder sources. I'm thinking maybe it's been discontinued

Tony...

look here for 2400: http://www.selwayarmory.com/shop-by-category/reloading/powder/shopby/alliant_powder.html
https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
http://www.brunoshooters.com/category/powder_alliant.html
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalo...5*bdDhwg|a:1:{i:0;s:18:"_swat_form_process";}

I guess when you said "all", you were exaggerating.

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

I saw 2400 in new bottles on the shelf on Thursday.

Last time I was at my LGS, they had it available. Granted, that was about a month ago.

This thread deviation (which is just fine) prompted me to check my 2400 stock. Just weighed my one # container - I have only 0.56 Lb. Next time I'm out n about, and I see some, I'll grab a #. I don't use a lot of 2400 so I'll never need more than one unopened bottle.

Nick_C_S

2400 at LGS

Prompted by this thread; and that I was bored around the house, I decided to take a trip to my local Bass Pro and pay 'em a visit. They had 5 #'s of 2400; well, now, they have 4 #'s; cuz I bought one :p.

They had a pretty good supply of Alliant pistol powders: All three "Dot's" (R.G.B.), 2400, Power Pistol, Unique, and Bullseye.

Alliant%202400_2017-06-10_zpsl2kv41sg.jpg

Pathfinder45

I have some Hercules 2400 that made some accurate +P 45 Colt loads with 240 grain bullets. However, the muzzle-flash was terrific! In a rifle it would be no problem. There is another powder that performs nearly identically, grain-for-grain, but without such blinding flash, and that is AA-9. If you find 2400 to be a useful powder, consider experimenting with AA-9; additionally it meters extremely well.

Geezerbiker

I'll be damned. I've had notifications in with Midsouth and Midway but I didn't think to try Graf's recently. Seriously until the past couple months, I'd check all my usual suppliers weekly...

Tony

Rogerl830

I saw this thread and thought that you were going to say it was discontinued! I was ready to go into "panic hoarder mode"!

Lol! I thought same thing

Years ago the same rumor was floating around about WW 231.

This was in the infancy of the pre-internet; I was part of the Compusere Firearms Forum, and that's where the rumor was spreading.

I was working for American Rifleman at the time, so I called up the PR guy for the Winchester powder division and asked him flat out -- is 231 being discontinued, I'm seeing people swearing that they have it "first hand" from X or Y.

He started to laugh and said something to the effect of it being the one powder they'd never discontinue.

I told him I was very happy to hear that because I absolutely loved 231.

A few weeks later I got a package from him with a 3 pound tin of 231 and an accompanying 3 pound tin of 296.

I finished the 231 a couple of years ago, but I'm still working on the 296. :)

And 231 is STILL my favorite go to powder for about 90% of my handloading.

Nick_C_S

And 231 is STILL my favorite go to powder for about 90% of my handloading.

All around, it's gotta be mine too.

I have never been out of W231 since the first time I bought it (1985-ish); although, it was touch-n-go there for a bit during the last shortage.

Now I have 11-ish #'s of W231. It is likely a lifetime supply for me; or at least close to it.

I'm not loading with a lot of W231 right now, because I'm using TiteGroup whenever I can, to purge it from my inventory.

Geezerbiker

I dropped in at the local Cabela's today and no 2400 and it's out of stock again at Graf's. I suppose I should have pulled the trigger sooner. However seeing that it was available for a little while is encouraging...

Tony