Saving some for the next guy.

SIGSHR

Saw this discussed on another board regarding ammunition sales. One gun shop/range I go will only sell you ammunition-1 box-if you are there for a range session, another gun shop has a 1 box per caliber per customer. I have no problem with that, the gun shop has a 1 hour range session rule for members on weekends. No different than being in a restaurant, if I have finished my meal and see people waiting for tables I will get up.

rickyrick

If someone recently bought a gun I could see needing ammunition.

I don’t understand how anyone that has owned guns for 5+ years would not have ammunition any more.

It’s not like there’s not a gun panic every few years.

As far as the next guy, I owe him nothing. It’s not my responsibility to provide others their recreational supplies.

I’ll give anyone food or clothing even money. I donate money, time and supplies to a few food banks in my area. But there is no reason to save cigarettes, booze, weed, ski poles, golf balls or bullets “for the next guy”

Can’t play ping pong without ping pong balls, can’t recreational shoot without bullets.

Shadow9mm

I am responsibil for my needs. The next person is responsible for theirs. First come first served, the early bird gets the worm. Both for ammo and range time. My range time is not limited by how much ammo the range will sell me. I have my own....

Blue Jays

Perhaps that same individual is purchasing that ammunition to use for himself/herself plus also to share at no cost with assorted family and friends.

kenny53

I buy what I can when I can. I have provided a lot of ammo for new shooters when I have taken them to the range. I guess I could make some good money if I wanted to price gouge. The only problem is I don't gouge and I don't sell.

5whiskey

Yeah I actually think of that when I’m buying. If I’m running low on that particular cartridge (Really component but whatever), I buy my limit or what I can afford. No remorse for the next guy.

On the other hand, there are a number of things I have a decent stockpile of. If I happen across them in this G&A shortage, I pick some up to try and not use from my reserves. If there are only a few left, I try to leave some for the next guy. After all, I’m set for a little while (not necessarily to the end of this shortage, but my needs are met for at least the next 6 months and probably closer to a year).

rickyrick

If I reasonably knew a person that may be short on ammunition I would probably offer up a box as a gesture of friendship or something, but as I alluded to earlier, I’m not limiting my purchase of a luxury item. If I want a 100 boxes of ammunition and I can afford it, I will have no remorse, and will sleep well.
There’s too much real suffering out there.

Too many people have a real need for food for me to worry about some fool who can afford a $1000 dollar gun and range fees.

HistoryJunky

I try not to buy out ammo even before the panic.

I wouldn't look down on anyone for not doing that though, especially right now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DaleA

Saving some for the next guy...
I saw this play out at a Scheel's in Fargo, ND about 3 weeks ago. Scheel's got a boatload of Remington 115 grain 9mm and filled all their previously empty handgun ammo shelves with the shipment. It was a little awe inspiring. There was NO other handgun ammo on the shelves, just box after box of 250 round 9mm for about $87 a box (that works out to be about $14/box of 50 says Dale, darn near a math protege).

Several guys, myself included looked at all that ammo and said, "Eh. I guess I don't really need any more 9mm." Which I don't. So I walked away mentally adding $87 to my "next gun fund" account.

Did I feel virtuous? Yes, a little bit.
Is that a stupid feeling? Yes, a little bit.

Another story is back during the great .22LR drought, at my local Fleet Farm I found about 7 or 8 bulk boxes (I think about 550 rounds) of .22LR on the shelf for a reasonable price. I dithered over getting some and finally threw one box into my cart. A gentleman waiting patiently behind me moved up and swept the shelf clear of the remaining boxes.

Was he "wrong" to do this? IMhO, no.
Was I "correct" to take just ONE box? Eh. I didn't really NEED even one box so maybe I shouldn't have taken even one.
Is this anybody's business? IMhO, no. There's LOTS more stuff to get your moral outrage on than setting yourself up to judge what other people buy, or eat, or drive, or...you get my drift.

P.S. I totally understand and support gun shops that keep back ammunition to sell to a customer that buys a gun from them. I sympathize with a brand new gun owners with the shiney new firearm in front of them being told there's no ammo for them and they won't be able to try out their gun at all.

shurshot

If I saw friends and neighbors needing food, water, medical, TP, etc., I will gladly share what I have. I offered assistance to everyone around me last year. It's just the right thing to do.

That being said, ammunition is a different matter altogether and I will lose VERY little sleep or worry about the next guy who finds all the .22's, 9mm's or 10mm's are sold out because I bought it all. That's life.

Moenie

Other people’s lack of planning is not my problem. I have had to suffer the consequences of my own actions many times before; so can they.

sfwusc

The correct thing for stores to do is increase their price to the market price.

The market price is easy to see at ammo seek —- it is the price that has orderly sales. The below market price requires limits or has shelves cleared in seconds.

Maxwell Haus

The market price is easy to see at ammo seek —- it is the price that has orderly sales. The below market price requires limits or has shelves cleared in seconds.
What about all the crazy priced stuff flying off the shelves at way above "market" price already ?

Last edited:

It's a hard call to make. When the 2009 panic hit, we ran out of ammunition over the course of a weekend. Resupply was going to be spotty and slow. I had a range to run, and that can't be done without ammo.

Furthermore, I wasn't keen on selling to the flippers who were just buying 9mm at $10/box and selling it for $75/box at the gun shows.

So we had two choices: mark it up to reflect demand, or limit supply. If we'd done the first, people would have flipped their wigs about how we were "gouging." (Never mind that everyone else was doing just that.)

We chose to limit supply. If folks weren't shooting on the range or taking a class, they could buy one box to take home.

Good heavens did people get their knickers in a knot over that. Oh well.

In the long run, it was more important that new buyers and shooters be able to shoot. If Joe Bob wanted to shore up his apocalypse supply, he just had to wait a few months.

Maxwell Haus

Well said Tom , my Son has a shop and you share the same opinion . Also, many of those guys getting stocked up for the zombies are the first to claim gouging when raise your price . I guess they think prices are grandfathered in ? Hard to please everyone .

Kreyzhorse

I try not to contribute to the crazy stuff going on, but if I need something, and see it at a decent price, I'll buy it.

Hate to say it, but we are free market mode right now. Supply / demand / crazy people in office.

No one wants to be caught short handed. Especially in this political environment right now.

Moenie

What about all the crazy priced stuff flying off the shelves at way above "market" price already ?

Market price is the price people are willing to pay, ergo current prices are not above market price. Current prices are the market price.

When supply drops and/or demand increases, prices go up.

If you find your post has been deleted (and there's a bunch of you), it's because of off-topic political ranting. Take that as a hint, please. I know the current situation is frustrating, but this isn't the place for that.

Lol, a year late and $50.00 short. I wonder how long these ammo shortage post will go on? Worrying about some guy in another state that took the last of the already short supply of ammo in one store is a waste of time. I started storing up ammo years ago. Saw the writing on the wall. And I do not shoot firearms at all anymore. And I will not go into my personal ammo "VAULT". The Piddly boxes of ammo found somewhere in the US in some small town will even soon disappear.