Savage model 99

44 AMP

Staff
Interesting, old school craftsmanship.

FYI, Savage reintroduced factory drilled and tapped recievers around 1953. You can tell if its a factory job if the name is on the side of the reciever. If the screw holes go through the lettering on the top of the reciever, its not a factory job. Savage moved the lettering to the side when they re-introduced factory drilled & tapped.

joeseabee

bigrebnc1861
Nope. The one in the youtube video looks like it has the Weaver J2.5 scope and Stith mounts (which I believe were pretty common after 53).

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm learning more about it every day. Now the question is should I shoot it or just maintain it? I have a hard just leaving a gun sit in the rack, especially when I have a couple hundred rouns of ammo...

joeseabee

Mike, I plan on it, and will probably keep killing deer with it, that was just a little sarcasm :D . I was actually just looking for some .300 sav reloading dies. This has always been one of my favorite guns, and after 25 years, I just decided to learn a bit more about it. Thanks again for all of your help.

Joe

Last edited: