Savage model 99

joeseabee

I've been searching the threads to find some more info on this gun, and decided that I would ask all the experts...

I have a 1947 Model 99 (EG maybe) chambered in .300 Savage. I've been able to find out info on the rifle, but what is really interesting is the scope mount. It is a detachable Griffin and Howe side mount.

Does anyone know if this was a feature from Savage, or did someone in the past have to send this rifle in to Griffin and Howe to have it installed? Any idea what something like this would be worth (in 90% condition)?

fast-eddie

Honestly, im my area the price has dropped a bit since last year. I wouldn't pay more than $400 dollars for it and I love 99's. Here you can find them regularly at my local GS for $320 to $400 (just missed a 308 for $330). If your rifle wasn't drilled for a scope it would be worth more though, and scope was an after market deal.

No, Savage never offered the Griffin & Howe as a factory option.

Savage discontinued marketing scopes and mounts in 1942 when they stopped production of 99s to concentrate on war production.

Savage didn't start offering scopes and mounts again until 1963.

The Griffin and Howe mounts were available commercially through the G&H store and via mail order.

madcratebuilder

That vintage 99 was not drilled and tapped for a scope from the factory as far as I know. I've been tracking them on Gunbroker the past year or so. A untapped rifle well bring about 30-40% more than a tapped one.

Early Savage 99s were drilled and tapped from the factory, but ONLY if they were ordered with a factory installed scope and mount. Prior to 1942, that would have been one flavor of Weaver scope and mount or another.

joeseabee

This one isn't drilled and tapped. The mount doesn't have any screws in it at all, just attached to the side like it was made that way (no weld lines). I've had the rifle since 1985, and was mostly wondering about the scope mount after I saw one on an M1. No plans to sell it, but I may start looking for some other 99's...

"isn't drilled and tapped"

It would have to be, unless it's mounting in the holes for the receiver sight and the rear sight notch.

How about taking a couple of pictures? I'd like to see this.'

That said, you probably have a Griffin & Howe "blind mount" scope mount.

I've seen these on rifles before, but I have no clue how they worked. They do look like they're floating, but they have to be screwed onto the side of the receiver somehow.

joeseabee

Here are some pics. The first one is with the scope attached, the second is the upper portion, the third is the lower portion.

Attachments

• IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 149

macsr01

I think I saw an interview with the CEO from Savage, talked about the possibility of starting back up the Model 99. Let me look and see if I can find it.

joeseabee

Inside the receiver is smoth, no holes or screw heads. I wonder if it has been welded or soldered on somehow.

That would be great if they started the line up gain.

bamaranger

Very interesting thread.....

keep after it guys, we're all learning something here.

I'm interested in 99's, but have never owned one, .......someday?????

Sodbuster

bamaranger, I always enjoy listening to a discourse on the Savage 99. Because Mike always has good info on it. As Uncle Bill Martino would say: good stuff. Have you visited the sites at 24hourcampfire (Savage collectors) and Savage99.com? I believe you can buy the Savage book at 24hourcampfire.

joeseabee

Thanks for all of the insight. This was the first gun I ever purchased (my dad chipped in to help me aford the $240 in 1985) and I've have never seen a scope mount like this one.

I was able to get a closeup of where the mount connects to the gun. It does look like there is a very fine silverish line. It also appears that you can see a lot more of the bluing issues when taking a super hi rez picture.

So what is silver solder as it applies to guns? This looks like it was soldered in place from underneath the mount. Is it a paste like that used when surface mounting electronic components?

Attachments

• IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Well I'll be. It certainly does look as if it was silver soldered into place.

I had no idea that G&H ever made such a mount.

Unfortunately, that really harshes the value of the gun.

On the plus side? The mount and rings do add quite a bit of value back. The G&H mounts were very well thought of in the day and are becoming collectible.

macsr01

Found it ! Forgot to look in my latest issue of Guns & Ammo.
Interview with Ron Coburn :

Q. Will you reintroduce the Savage Model 99 ?

A. The Model 99 is a classic that is as good today as it was in 1894 - A timeless piece of workmanship that has no peers. We are aware of the interest in this heritage product, and if we can find a way to reintroduce it in the future and make a profit, we will.

madcratebuilder

I was able to get a closeup of where the mount connects to the gun. It does look like there is a very fine silverish line. It also appears that you can see a lot more of the bluing issues when taking a super hi rez picture.

Well I'll be dipped. I would have bet you lunch that it would be drilled and tapped.

Normally I would say that this would diminish value, but it's possible the rarity of this quality mount and method of attachment actually increases the value. It appears to be very well done.

It's a rare bird for sure.