Savage Model 99 made in Spain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBP

I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes- I have a Savage Model 99c in .308 caliber in 90%-95% condition that was made in Spain! I never noticed the markings on the barrel! Is it rare or worth anything near the USA models? I never heard of the Spanish made Model 99. :confused:

KBP

Savage model 99 made in Spain

Here are a few pics of the rifle. It is a good looking rifle.MVC-016S.JPG

MVC-019S.JPG

MVC-017S.JPG

30-30remchester

I have owned a few over the years and have a few books on the subject and have never heard of such a beast. Could you show some close up photos of the markings?

KBP

I did my best with my digital camera.Its not made for closeups but you can see the "Made in Spain" at the end of the barrel markings for the Savage Model 99. Ken MVC-028S.JPG

These are not rare rifles, nor do they command a premium. They were made for about 4 years on contract to Savage by a Spanish company.

They were simply too expensive to make in the United States any longer, and Savage tried to keep production going. It wasn't a success.

You'll occasionally see these rifles at gunshows and the like. They are all detachable magazine models, and as far as I know, all are chambered in .308.

KBP

The good news on this rifle is that it is in like new shape and works perfect. :)

RJay

But the problem is: if you are like me, and believe the 99 was one of the best rifles ever made, would you buy one made in Spain or the U.S. I don't know, a 99 made in Spain doesn't even sound right:D:D:D( nor does a Winchester 94 made in Belgium:D)

My main concern would be the quality of the steel. If the wood was bad, I'd make a new stock. If the bluing was bad, I'd reblue it.

If they are, as Mike says, made under contract for Savage, then I wouldn't worry about the metallurgy. BTW, from the pics it looks quite good. I am biased in that I prefer the old brass internal rotary magazine.

This thread is close to 4 years old, and played out its natural lifespan at that time.

No real reason to resurrect it as if the OP asked his question yesterday.

If something new were to come up about the Spanish-made 99s, that would be another thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.