Savage Axis rifles - Thoughts?

stagpanther

You can also try "Uncle Staggies" home recipe for cheapos for making your Axis, 110's and Ruger Americans shoot better:

1 fill the foreend channels with a good epoxy and sand back the barrel groove to get a true free-float. 2) fill the butt-stock section with envirotex (stiffens the stock and improves recoil absorption). I've done this to 6 rifles and it's improved all of them without adding much to the weight. Set you back maybe $20 to $30.

As with all internet wisdom--YRMV. : )

stagpanther

The Axis is an overly accurate pile of crap at a price point.
Never heard that description before, but I can kinda see that. LOL. On the other hand, if I could get sub-MOA by banging two rocks together with a cartridge between them--I probably would have two rocks as my primary carry. : )

Saltydog235

Yep, can't say anything bad about the way a Savage shoots. They just feel and look like crap in factory trim. I still own a 10 PC but it's not original by a long shot now.

Rmart30

Neither will the detachable as long as you keep your digits out of the release!
That I gotta disagree with on the Axis. Some may work well but there are a lot of them that dont. The 223 I had wasnt as bad as the 7-08 was. On it when you went to chamber a round the back of the magazine would be pushed down and either hang up the next round or fall out. The Boyds stock has a better lip for the mags to catch on. I havent had the first mag problem since the stock switch.

Maybe the XP2 models are different now and have better retention than the first gen stocks.

The thing about the savage is what a pain they are to scope. I had to use a picatinny rail and even then its mounted as far back as i could put it.

Same on the one i still have. I prefer one piece base/rings like the DNZ's. With the cheapo combo scope that came with em it worked because of the long tube length.
None of my Nikon, Vortex or sightron had long enough tubes to slide far enough back for proper eye relief. I bought 3 different ring/bases before finally running across the EGW rail fix on another forum.

Im not dedicated to any brand gun. Ive had or own a bunch of different brands.
Im all for budget guns but if ya have to put a lot of time and cash into them they arent very budget.
The 783 I bought after I sold my 223 Axis has been good right from the box. Put scope on and go. Its fugly as heck but there were no scope mounting/eye relief problems like the Axis and the magazine has never fallen out or failed to feed a round.

Jay24bal

I own 4 Axis rifles.

Three of them are still factory set up except for all wearing a Boyds stock, and the clipping a couple coils off the trigger spring. All 3 will shoot sub MOA with handloads, and hover right around MOA with decent factory ammo. The stocks on the Axis are their weakest point in my opinion, they are too light and the fore end flexes when used with a bipod. But for $200 when on sale, I will buy them every time. With a $100 stock from Boyds, you get MOA or better accuracy.

The only thing Axis about my fourth one is the action. It is wearing a 26" bull barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, a new stock, rifle basix trigger, NSS precision nut, NSS precision recoil lug (you can make it work like a regular Savage and not use the lug inletted in the stock), a SSS single shot loading ramp, and the bolt had been fluted by SSS. While choices for upgrading are much more limited than say a Savage 10 series rifle, it is hard to beat the Axis action for building your own when I got the rifle on sale for $179, and then sold off the stock and barrel for $90. FYI this rifle currently holds my clubs (90+ year old rifle club) record for 5 shot, 600 yard group at 1.249...

stagpanther

sweet--they are diamonds in the rough and just need a bit of polishing--which is very easy to do. : )

PS Jay24--are you talking 1.24 inches at 600 yds?

reynolds357

I am sure he is. Those type groups do happen quite regularly. You see some 3" 1k groups pretty regularly now. Funny thing is the group before or after is usually 2 to 3 times that size. When I evaluate my bench rest rifles, I usually look at the last 100 rounds it fired. The best 3 shot group I have ever fired was with a .35 Whelen. Literally the group looked like a single hole. The rifle is nowhere near that accurate. The group was an anomaly that will never repeat.

stagpanther

I am sure he is. Those type groups do happen quite regularly. You see some 3" 1k groups pretty regularly now. Funny thing is the group before or after is usually 2 to 3 times that size. When I evaluate my bench rest rifles, I usually look at the last 100 rounds it fired. The best 3 shot group I have ever fired was with a .35 Whelen. Literally the group looked like a single hole. The rifle is nowhere near that accurate. The group was an anomaly that will never repeat.
That's heady stuff from an Axis--though I don't doubt it can be done. When all is said and done--AFAIK Savage button-rifled barrels are all produced the same way, regardless of the price class of the rifle.

indie_rocker

I agree with others, that the stocks are the worst part of the rifles. I have an Axis II in .308 and until I dressed it in a Boyd's stock, I was in the market for a completely different rifle.

Huffmanite

OK, my two cent worth of opinion, and I've owned an .223 Axis (named Edge when I bought it) for a number of years now.

1. It will probably shoot decently for accuracy out of the box.

2. You'll probably dislike its heavy trigger pull.......unless its a newer version with the Accu like-trigger.

3. It it is a .223, expect its ejection of spent brass to be poor. Takes a decent jerk on the bolt for my .223 to eject brass out of the receiver.

4. Folks have mentioned foreend of stock to have a flex problem. While they've noted a flex problem, they may have misdiagnosed it....problem is the design of the trigger guard part, which occupies much of the very thin wrist of stock. LOL, you can rest the bottom of butt of stock on something and while holding stock in front of the receiver with one hand, try using your fore finger of free hand to push down on top of stock, just behind the rear tang of receiver. While doing this, look at rear of trigger guard where it butts against stock.....you'll see the joint of the two spread. What does this mean? Well, for me when shooting from benchrest at a 100 yd target thru a 24X power scope, I could watch my crosshair climb about a 1/2" on a target, before the heavy trigger released. Wasn't my imagination, had a couple of other darn experienced shooters sit down with my Edge/Axis who also noted the crosshair movement on the target. This problem disappeared when I replaced the factory stock with one I made.....well, before Boyd's began making a stock for the Axis.

Edited to mention one more thing. When I rebarreled my Edge/Axis with a Shaw varmit barrel in 6X45 I had little problem removing the factory barrel. However when I tried to remove the barrel nut off the factory barrel, had quite a problem. This was the third Savage barrel nut rifle I'd replaced the barrel on. Seems, their were quite a number of what I'll call micro beads stuck in the threads of the barrel. They may be beads used to blast the metal for cleaning before putting the coating on the Axis barrels. Whatever they are, they certainly proved a problem when removing the barrel nut off the Edge/Axis barrel. Mentioned this bead problem to a gent I shoot with on a regular basis who'd also rebarreled a couple of Axis rifles. By the way, he thought the Axis actions were decent to build on and that the factory barrels for him shot pretty decent for accuracy. Anyway, he too, had the same problems with the beads stuck in the threads. Lesson to be learned....buy a new barrel nut, for removing the old one is a real pain on an Axis barrel.

Last edited:

Jay24bal

PS Jay24--are you talking 1.24 inches at 600 yds?

Yeah, inches. My club has separate classes for all distances, and in order to qualify must be shot during a match: rimfire, benchrest, sporter, and custom. This one holds the record for the custom class (pretty much means less than a 3" flat fore end and under a certain weight). You should see what some of the high end benchrest guys can do, I believe the world record is something crazy like .4 inches (not a typo, literally under half an inch)...

Huffman - That is a common complaint from Axis owners, and mine had it as well. Savage claims it is indeed the media used during the bead blasting phase. Before I pull any Savage barrel, I always soak the threads of the barrel nut overnight the night before in a penetrating oil, and it has never been a problem.

Jay24bal

Lol, and another long range shooter hit it on the head, dead spot on.

This rifle usually holds 3.5"-4.5" groups at 600 yards on average, this particular string just happened to be incredible. My "normal good day" is something in the 2.5" -3" area, and a bad day can easily be over 1 MOA, it does not take much to move a bullet a few extra inches at 600. I think I have only ever had one other group under 2", and it was something like 1.93 really close to 2".

Everything came together perfectly for 5 shots in a row. No wind at all that day that any of us noticed, no mirage at all, and apparently my technique was perfect and and my ammo was pretty darn to close to identical as well.

By no means I am saying that 1.249 is normal for this gun or even that I think it will happen again any time soon, just throwing it there to show some evidence as to why Axis rifles may be a good option to build off of (if you like the limited aftermarket options that are out there.

SEHunter

I recently did TONS of research on the Axis. All there is to know has pretty much been stated in this thread. They are just plain Ole good shooters with mixed opinions on cosmetics and that's about it. I'll have an Axis 2 soon.

I set out to my LGS to get it as a rainy hunting gun. They didn't have the 270 in Stock and somehow I ended up leaving with a Rem 700 ADL mainly because of the 24 inch barrel. Well I modded that barreled action up with aftermarket goodies and now don't want to get it wet. This means before next season I'll be back out on a quest for an Axis. It's biggest competition imo is the Ruger American but at 100 bucks more than the Axis, I sided with the Axis

Last edited:

snowman748

Axis

If you buy an Axis before the 1st you can get a $50 mail-in rebate from Savage...even extra savings...

just picked one up in 308 last night, looking forward to shooting it...

RC20

the other option is the Cabellas (and maybe Dicks etc) low cost in store only models of Savage 10 and 12.

They both come with acutirgeers. Stocks I nothing to write home about but not a big deal unless you are into cosmetics.

Axis II with acu trigger is option as well. I would not buy one without that. Its a really good trigger, easily matches Timney in my opinion.

The 10 FV from Cabless is more a bench gun, the 10T is a split but still heavy.

they may have other in store models that are lighter so worth looking and asking.

the 10/100 series probably smother operation at a bit more cost.

stagpanther

If ya buy the axis 1 do not despair--put a rifle basix trigger in (GREAT aftermarket trigger for the axis) and do the epoxy stiffie job I've mentioned on another thread and you will have a super-sweet shooting rifle that can do this:

RC20

Get the Axis (or Savage ) with the Acu Trigger and don't worry about putting a different trigger in it!

wpsdlrg

" 4. Folks have mentioned foreend of stock to have a flex problem. While they've noted a flex problem, they may have misdiagnosed it....problem is the design of the trigger guard part, which occupies much of the very thin wrist of stock. LOL, you can rest the bottom of butt of stock on something and while holding stock in front of the receiver with one hand, try using your fore finger of free hand to push down on top of stock, just behind the rear tang of receiver. While doing this, look at rear of trigger guard where it butts against stock.....you'll see the joint of the two spread. What does this mean? Well, for me when shooting from benchrest at a 100 yd target thru a 24X power scope, I could watch my crosshair climb about a 1/2" on a target, before the heavy trigger released. Wasn't my imagination, had a couple of other darn experienced shooters sit down with my Edge/Axis who also noted the crosshair movement on the target. This problem disappeared when I replaced the factory stock with one I made.....well, before Boyd's began making a stock for the Axis. "

Extremely common problem with most (if not all) plastic-stocked bolt rifles. The various manufacturers, including Savage, do not seem to understand that, unless the stock is quite stiff, the rifle will shoot to nothing like it's potential. This is a simple design problem. The plastic stocks COULD be designed to be stiff enough - but not doing so only saves a few pennies in material and manufacturing costs.

Personally, I prefer the earlier Stevens 200, rather than the Axis. The Stevens is simply a Savage 110 clone. My .223, short -action came with the standard grey flexi-plastic stock. I filled in the forend completely with glass-reinforced epoxy, mechanically locked to the stock (with the first 6 inches of the barrel ahead of the receiver bedded)....and used wood to fill in the magazine well (and make what is, essentially, a permanent bench rest follower (as I only ever single load the rifle, anyway). The result is that the rifle now shoots sub 1/2" at 100 yards, with the right loads.

Before "fixing" the stock, I could cause the point of aim (as viewed through the scope) to move upward almost 1 1/2" at 100 yards, simply by pulling down on the stock (a few inches forward of the receiver) with moderate pressure, with the rifle rested in a front rest/ rear bag. Pathetic.

The point being, I purchased the rifle for the barreled action and scope (it happened to be used, with a very good scope already installed) - and considered the plastic stock to be a throwaway. I "fixed" the stock only as an experiment - to see if it could be done. Anyone buying any of the "economy grade" rifles, from any of the manufacturers, should probably plan on replacing the standard equipment plastic stocks, from the beginning. Unless you wish to spend a lot of time and effort modifying it, as I did. Fortunately, pretty good quality laminated wood stocks are available for relatively little $$ (this is ultimately the type of stock I chose, though I still have the modded plastic stock as a backup).