Savage Axis rifles - Thoughts?

Famas

On a recent trip to a local gun store, I discovered a series of Savage Axis bolt action rifles in various calibers. I was surprised at how light they were. I fairly straight forward design with no frills. I am unfamiliar with Savage or their products...but the Axis series are interesting to me. Some of them had threaded barrel ends, assuming for flash/muzzle suppressors or Anyone here have any experience with them? Thoughts? Thanks for any replies.

stagpanther

I've had several. IMO your basically buying the bolt and barrel--which are great at that price point. The rest of the gun--not all that great but still adequately functional. If you're the "after-market do-it-yourself" kind of person they can be made into stellar shooters rivaling rifles 2 or more times their price.

Fla_dogman

I really like the Savage rifles, I have a 110 in .243. It's super accurate and simple. I almost bought an Axis a couple of years ago. I had choose it over the Rem. 700 ADL but got an unbelievable deal on a Weatherby Vanguard and pick it mainly because of the 24" barrel and slick action.
My only problem with the Axis is no adjustable trigger.

olddav

Savage rifles have stiff actions (bolt lift) and heavy triggers. Time will cure the bolt lift issue (somewhat) and the trigger can be greatly improved with a couple of simple tricks. If how ever you purchase an Axis with an Accutrigger then no trigger work may be needed.

My brother has one and with Federal PowerShok 150 grain bullets it will shoot 1.25 groups at 100 yards. If it holds 1.25 MOA (roughly) out to 300 yards, thats more than adquate for hunting.

olddav

If the Axis fits in my budget then I would buy the Axis. If you can afford a Savage 110 family rifle thenthats what you will want. More options avilable from venders for upgrades in the future, if that's important.

4runnerman

Having owned 2 and still have one. They are dead nuts accurate right out of the box. Clip 1 to 1.5 coils of trigger spring and the trigger is much much better.
The stocks are nothing to talk about, but for the price you can buy a stock from Stocky stocks and have a real nice shooting rig. As said-They will out shoot rifles costing 3 times as much.

For those wondering- I only got rid of the one because I wanted to get into a heavy barrel. It was the 223, Traded it in on a heavy barrel 223 Model 12 FVSS.
The other is a 243 camo version. Still shoot that one. very accurate, just heats up after about 5 shots and you have to wait for it to cool.

Rmart30

No doubt they are accurate guns. I will add that mine were prior to the XP 2 models so the stocks may be a little stiffer and the new triggers better now than mine were.

The magazines in mine were finicky on insertion and retention was iffy. The Boyds stock takes care of that problem.

I do not care for the scope mounting on them. 2 piece bases were out on the 4 scopes I tried as was a DNZ 1 piece integrated base. I ended up with a EGW picatinny rail to get it far enough back for proper eye relief and for scope ring placement.

For "budget rifles" I like the 783 or the RAR over the savage.

The Axis is extraordinarily fugly, and if you can get past that, it still suffers the same malady, to my way of thinking, of so many other new turnbolt models the last 15 years - that infernal much-less-than-useless detachable mag. But to each his own. They are evidently quite accurate / functional.

retention was iffy.

Yes. THAT is the problem with these cheapened rifles.

stagpanther

My Axis rifles have logged a whole bunch of woods-slogging miles with plenty of drops, trips, tree bangs, snow, rain, sleet and still kept drilling em in under MOA without a complaint. Nice to have a budget gun to not worry about messing up the make-up. : )

KW Gary M

Looking at the Axis myself and will most likely pick up one in .308 tomorrow. Several people have told me to get the Axis II because it does have the Accutrigger which the first Axis doesn't come with.

jaysouth

Spend a couple of bucks more and get a Weatherby Vanguard S-2. It has a solid stock, adjustable trigger and sub MOA guarantee. but the biggest sellin point for me (after suffering from mag problems in Axis and !!0s) is the hinged floorplate magazine. It will never fall out while you are on your way to the blind in the dark.

bedlamite

I keep hearing about savage magazine problems, but I've had several over the years, and mine keep not having any problems. I won't even bother with a rifle that doesn't have a detachable mag anymore. The only real problem is dealing with the people that have Savage envy after they realize their rifle cost three times as much and doesn't shoot as good, then they start complaining about how it looks.

Get one before the end of the year and get the rebate:

http://www.savagearms.com/promotions/

delrom418

I'm not a fan of plastic stocks but I bought one anyway because it was on sale for the cheapest price I've seen a rifle sell for, and it was left handed, and I know Savage makes good rifles. After sighting it in with factory ammunition I went on to shoot my best score ever at the local "Hunter Rifle Silhouette" match. Don't care if people don't like the way it looks, I'm keeping it!

Geezerbiker

I bought one in .270 earlier this year as a loaner rifle for elk season. It's as accurate or better than another rifle I have. These aren't just good rifles for the money but they're amazing rifles for the money.

I'm planning on giving it to one of my grandsons since I didn't really need it anyway... That way my Win M70 will go back to being my primary big game rifle... :)

The mag sticks once in a while but if I give it a thump, it releases fine. I'm not talking about with a hammer either, just from the side of my hand...

Tony

upstate81

I like the TC Venture more than the Axis about every way possible. However, my axis does shoot quite well after a little trigger work and a boyds stock. Truth be told Its not any more accurate than it was right out of the box just feels better to me. The thing about the savage is what a pain they are to scope. I had to use a picatinny rail and even then its mounted as far back as i could put it.