Savage 16 accuracy problem

Dufus

You should have had the guy scope the bore. The one I sent back to Savage looked like a washboard from breech to muzzle with some rough spots in places.

I have a brand new Vanguard that I haven't started working with and the bore on it is as smooth as a babies butt.

Last edited:

homesick

Dufus that's my next step is to scope the bore. I've had a lot of very good suggestions from y'all but am running low on options.

RC20

Just scoping the bore is not going to tell you anything.

Savage uses button rifling which is a very good system, they do not lap so the barrels are rough. That has nothing to do with how it will shoot.

Hammer forged barrels are smooth, they are mass production and don't shoot all that well unless you do like CZ and follow up with a lapping process that puts a final good size on them.

Dufus

Just scoping the bore is not going to tell you anything.

Savage uses button rifling which is a very good system, they do not lap so the barrels are rough. That has nothing to do with how it will shoot.

In my experience, scoping a bore will answer a lot of unanswered questions.

If I had not scoped the bore on the Savage that I was working on, I would have never seen the 10" long streak of copper that was plated on the bore. Also, I would not have seen the rough rifling that looks like a mill file but much smaller.

Also, scoping the bore will let you know if there are any anomalies in the bore that could not otherwise be seen. It also tells you if you have the bore clean and can differentiate what type of fouling is there.

So, you can not qualify your statement that scoping the bore is not going to tell you anything.

pbcaster45

I'll just throw this out there, you don't sound like a beginner. My hunting buddy when sighting in his rifle (off a rest) - paid no attention at all to the location of his front sling swivel stud when sighting in. Sometimes he position it so close to the tripod that the swivel stud made contact during recoil. That caused the rifle to recoil inconsistently and tossed his shots all over. Not saying you are doing that but it's a common mistake...

RC20

In my experience, scoping a bore will answer a lot of unanswered questions.

If I had not scoped the bore on the Savage that I was working on, I would have never seen the 10" long streak of copper that was plated on the bore. Also, I would not have seen the rough rifling that looks like a mill file but much smaller.

Also, scoping the bore will let you know if there are any anomalies in the bore that could not otherwise be seen. It also tells you if you have the bore clean and can differentiate what type of fouling is there.

So, you can not qualify your statement that scoping the bore is not going to tell you anything.

Ok, the OP is asking about solutions.

My answer was in context of that question, scoping is not going to tell you diddly squat if a barrel will shoot or not.

note that a Savage barrel is rough. So what? It does not stop them from shooting and all that tells you is what we know, Savage barrels are rough.

As such they are going to copper up some. So does removing that streak of copper get your gun to shoot better?

If so, then that's valuable. Otherwise its better to let the copper settle in as long as it does not take over the barrel.

It does not check how straight the barrel is.

It does not air gauge the barrel.

Its not like a pipeline pig that tells you how even the grove and lands are.

It can tell you if the bore is eroded.

It can tell you if you are getting the carbon out (and copper if that is a proven issue)

BWM

If you have had the stock off call Savage and give them the S# and ask them what the torque is on the stock it does make a different! my stock had 2 different torque for the bolts