Savage 111 vs Savage Axis + other bolt rifle competitors

RC20

Longer shots are the 6.5 wheelhouse.

Soft shooter no matter what the range.

Coil flip, overall I wold not buy a $300 non acu trigger Savage, cost $100 to get a trigger, add in a decent scope for say $100 and the $300 Savage special is a much better buy.

The hunting acu trigger can be changed with a spring to adjust down to 1.5 lbs if you target shoot with it.

I paid $500 for a 110, but it had the stock you don't usually see I wanted, Acu Trigger and a Rail. Barrel I did not care about as I put a Shilen on it. My best shooting gun.

It also was older and its smoother (and not shot a lot so its not a wear in aspect)

I don't understand why people think a used rifle is worth more than a new one when its an identical model and for hunting only.

std7mag

I'll agree, 6.5-06 is great for some longer shots. :D:

So you bought a $500 gun, put a $100 scope on it, and a $600 barrel???

Trigger adjustment is simple on 111. Remove 2 action screws, remove stock, adjust trigger spring tension screw, reinstall stock. Took maybe 15 minutes and cost me nothing.

Don't forget to tune the action when you've figured out a load. Whittle those groups down even further.

GarandTd

Stopped at the LGS for a another look. Actual price was $289.99, but knocked down to $269.99 for black Friday.
I noticed that the 111 has an internal(non removeable) magazine. Is there any advantage to a removeable magazine vs internal?

I just bought a new stainless Axis II .308 for $296 ---there is a $60 rebate right now---bringing it to $236----spent $7 on Weaver bases----had scopes and rings at home. This gun has the Accutrigger ----they had similar blued models for $269 + rebate=$209.

It doesn't get any cheaper for a mid bore caliber than .308---they have Core Lokt's for $13 a box.

The gun also has a new style spring loaded magazine catch instead of the plastic tab on the magazine.

This is all at my local Walmart.

The internal mag is probably more secure----removable mags make it easier to load and unload or switch loads.

Also faster on the reloads if you carry multiple mags----not that you're going to be attacked by swarms of PO-ed deer or anything.

stillquietvoice

There are a couple advantages of blind mag, one is there is more stockaterial so it's more rigid, another is it will never fall out and get lost turning your repeater into a single shot.
Dbm is faster to load and unload,but it doesn't take more than 10 seconds to unload a blind mag it's more a personal preference.

RC20

Pretty much agree with the above.

I do have one Savage with a bottom magazine release like the old mil Surplus rifles.

That is not a bad compromise. That said, I don't know what models have it.

I agree a full blind is more rigid and I went with two of that type to build target rifles on for that reason.

But the drop plate shoots consistently better than the other two (30-06) so its not the whole story.

I did a lot of woods cruising when younger and I did consider a semi auto 06 with a magazine for bears. At least you can get a couple two maybe 3 if you are lucky shots off in that situation (or none, its interesting reading about the guys who simply drop their guns when charged) - most of the time its a partner that shoots the bear off the guy.

GarandTd

I've decided to pass, for the time being, on the used Savage 111. With prices, rebates, and all the economy options available, I just can't stomach paying nearly NIB retail for a used rifle. Add to that the fact that Christmas is right around the corner and I've also managed to tie up about $350 on a couple of superfluous traffic citations, a new firearm is off the table for now.
Thanks for the insight. It will be food for thought when the time is right.

Orion6

In response to one of the posts above, the Remington 783 does not have a poor trigger. It’s an Accutrigger style and easily adjustable.

Just make sure it’s a 783 not a 770. Totally different rifles.

You can’t go wrong with an Axis or Compass (or 783 for that matter) for a solid hunting gun. They’re all good rifles.

Fusion

I own both an Axis (non accutrigger), and a Model 11 (with the accutrigger), and the Model 11 is a significantly better rifle. They both shoot very well, but that's where the similarities stop. The trigger on the Axis is one of the worst factory triggers I've ever felt on a rifle. I quickly replaced mine. While they have solved this with the Axis II and the accutrigger, they haven't fixed any of the other issues.

While the Model 11 stock isn't great, it's leaps and bounds better than the one on the Axis. In fact, the whole Axis just feels extremely cheaply made. The magazine is pretty lousy and clips in with a plastic clip. When this plastic breaks, it's fairly costly to replace the magazine. The bolt handle on the Axis also feels extremely light and cheap. You also get a better, and stronger receiver with the Model 11. Really, the whole Axis just feels like a cheap throw away gun. Will it kill deer? Absolutely. However, the numbered series Savages are a much better gun and can be had for a similar price as you've found.

IMO I'd look for a Model 10 or 11 with the Accutrigger. In this market, you can probably find one for $275-300 and you'll be ending up with a much better rifle.

GarandTd

Good to know, Fusion. I'll keep an open mind about the used one I saw. Who knows, maybe it'll still be around in a month or so and still an option.

stillquietvoice

You might be able to buy it over time deposit and so much per week. Buy most of my guns that way not so much out of pocket all at once.
Worth a shot worst the store owner will say is no.

std7mag

Like i had posted previously.
Let me know if your getting it.
If not, tell me where it is, and i'll go get it.

GarandTd

I'll let you know if I pass on it. I'm leaning toward securing it via layaway. After reading some other threads on similar used rifles and the prices, I do believe it's a pretty good deal.