Savage 110 conversion to 500 Jeffery

45flaco

@45flaco,

So, what exactly was involved with the conversion?
Simple bolt head swap?
Or more involved?
I ask because i want to do a 7.21 Tomahawk build.
Conversion was bolt head (338 lapua), a little bit of filing the feed ramp, barrel swap, and using an archangel stock.
The reason for the archangel stock is actually the magazine it uses. All of the steel magazines for the savage 110 have ribs that intrude into the magazine too far to allow the 500 Jeffery to be used (really fat case). The Archangel magazines worked with very little modification, just sanding the interior of the feed lips to allow the round to sit higher in the gun.
As far as the bolt head swap, that did require changing to the small diameter firing pin and retainer also.
Overall, nothing particularly terrible. This was barely harder than the 375 H&H mosin, and took a lot less time. 90% of my trouble was the stupid Savage extractor detent throwing itself into another dimension. Twice.

oldbear1950

Other than the siamese mauser, can any other bolt gun be successfully chambered to 45-70 and use the ruger/siamese mauser loads? Just curous

45flaco

Other than the siamese mauser, can any other bolt gun be successfully chambered to 45-70 and use the ruger/siamese mauser loads? Just curous
The Mosin is more than strong enough for 62,000 PSI 45-70 loads, and I wouldn't hesitate to load 458 Lott or 500 A-Square on it either if you're looking to build a hunting rifle.
I built a 375 H&H on a demilled T53, and it has been absolutely wonderful.

45flaco

Here's a picture of the rifle, had to reduce size to make it work.

Attachments

• ReduceImageSize.net_950kb_2630.jpg
    ReduceImageSize.net_950kb_2630.jpg
    926.6 KB · Views: 21

44 AMP

Staff

Any rifle that is physically large enough can be converted, IF the smith is willing to do enough work. For some rifles its fairly simple, for others it would take a serious rebuilding of the action, but it is possible, if not even remotely cost effective. Or suitable...