Salivating Smith & Wesson Supporters

Jeff Thomas

AR-10, you stated it so well, and so much more diplomatically. We can call it the "*&* Doctrine" ... if you post a thread on TFL discussing the virtues of *&* products, used or otherwise, it is fair play to post the detriment that business with *&* generates for the RKBA and American freedom. Especially with citations of the offending agreements ... still in existence, and accepted by the new owners of that once proud company.

Seems like a reasonable exchange from my perspective.

Regards from AZ

Watch-Six

I will not buy a Smith under any condition until the agreement is dead. When it first came out, I was so angry with them that I sold every one of my numerous S&W guns. I currently own none of their products and it looks like I never will. Watch-Six

Wheelgun

:( The day I heard about the agreement, was the day I started looking for a replacement for my k-frame. It was and is a great firearm, but something about it bothers me now. I take it out of the safe and fire it occasionaly, thinking to myself "Man, that company could make a revolver". But now, every time I handle it, I can't help thinking about what S&W did. If someone out there wants a pre-agreement Smith, I say go for it, they are great firearms. Just don't be suprised if some of that agreement residue seems to have attached itself to the gun.

Same reason, I won't but a new Ruger.

-Wheelgun

MeekAndMild

When they made the agreement I took two S&W pistols to put on consignment at the local pawn shop and gave a third to a LEO friend. I figured they compete with new ones for market share.

IMHO If everyone would stop, take a few minutes to see if they could part with one or two used Smiths this zit on the posterior of the industry would have a harder time surviving.:D

Jeff OTMG

Thanks for bringing this up AR-10. No new S&W's for me, I have only bought one used one since the agreement and even that left a bad taste in my mouth by reminding me of what they have done. Hang tough and hang together.

Be sure to catch the next-to-last post in the closed Scandium S&W thread over in revolvers.

I love the concept that just because someone tells us it's not dangerous, it's not.

How long until the next Democrat gets into the White House until it is dangerous?

Anyone want to lay some money bets?

Or do ya just want to keep your head firmly planted in your backside, and keep both planted in the sand?

madmike

Why buy even a used one? That helps validate to the lipstick and miniskirt fans of Smith (those who'll bend over and take it and smile) that they are good guns with good resale value.

I won't buy one for $20. Not as a gift. To me, a Smith is worthless. I'd rather buy a junk Bryco, because they at least ARE fighting the war. (Didn't say I'd USE a Bryco...).

First of all, &'s autos are crap. End of story.

Second, they make a damn good $250 revolver. The problem is, they want $500 for it. You get the same guarantee from Rossi and Taurus, and better politics. The Taurus 606 ported .357 snub (already discontinued for the 607 7 shooter) is as fine a concealed revolver as one will ever find...got it for $219. Why would anyone waste money on a Snitch & Wussy?

Ruger GP100 is a fine gun. Colt (also ugh!, but...) Python is a fine gun.

Nor will I buy anything in .40 cal, just on principle. When they are dead, buried, the grave desecrated and bulldozed into a parking lot and forgotten, then I'll consider buying a few as collector's pieces. "Smith & Wesson? Oh, yeah! Let me tell you what happened to THEM!"

To quote L. Neil Smith: "Smith & Wesson must die!"

And AFAIK, the new owners have no legal obligation to continue an agreement signed by the last owners. So screw them, too.

Well, I'm a lot more leniant on the used S&Ws.

Why? Because I use them as examples for my friends, and anyone else who will listen to my reasons for WHY I'm buying used, and not new.

There's also the fact that the used market is glutted, and probably will be glutted for years, with used S&W's due to the move to semi-autos over the past few years.

A lot of the guns that were apparently held in reserve have been released, and as a consequence some of the prices I've seen have just been nutsy low.

Unfortunatly that really only applies to the .38s and .357s, but that's OK.

Bottom Gun

I have pre-treason revolvers myself and I love them dearly and will most likely never part with them.
I've seen a couple of the new post-treason guns I'd like to try, but I'm not going to put a dime into S&W's hands until they either back out of the agreement or sell the company to someone who will.
I agree with C.R.Sam. We should support the manufacturers who stood by us rather than the one who tried to sell us out.
There are plenty of other manufacturers who make good guns and there are still enough pre-agreement S&Ws out there at gun shows and in gun shops to satisfy everyone's craving for a S&W and at BETTER PRICES.
For example, I picked up an unfired brand spanking new Mod 66 at the last gun show for $315. Try finding a deal like that on a post-treason gun from a stocking S&W dealer.
Don't weaken, Guys. They'll have to meet our demands or fold before too long. Meanwhile, we should show our allegiance to the other gun manufacturers to show them we appreciate the risk they took by standing firm against the antis.
Just my opinion.