Saiga Rifles: Worth It, Or Worthless?

barnetmill

I have the S12 and S308 with the original triggers still in them even though I have changed a few other parts. They need to be converted and the triggers replaced since they are terrible to the point that I can not shoot rapidly with the terrible trigger pulls, much less accurately. The guns function very well and the S308 may be accurate. I need to do the conversion and work more with them and that i will do next year.

Single Six

Raftman: From what I've been seeing, Mini-30 reliability seems to be one of those issues that people just can't seem to agree on; some folks swear by them, others swear at them. Being a Ruger fan, I'll chance it. If the one I get turns out to be a dud, then I'll just sell it off and trade up. Besides, the SKS doesn't come in my preferred finish [stainless], but the Ruger does. ;) Your opinions and previous PMs are still much appreciated, though!

Joe_Pike

Don't pay those prices for a Saiga.They are great guns however.Just a couple of years ago,you could get the .223 & 7.62x39 version in hand for less than $300.00

You'll have to get in your 'way back machine' to get that price again. I was in the LGS today and they had a 7.62x39 for $439. That's $110 more than they sold them for three years ago, and I'm betting you'll never see that price again.

Capybara

I like Saigas, but for a quality AK-type rifle, the VEPRs are hard to beat PLUS you can get a 7.62 x 54R version so you can share the cheapest ammo on the market with your Mosin.

OLD SF MJT

Hard to find these days since we no longer allow imports of firearms from Russia anymore ( thank you BHO, you POS!), but still a genuine AK from mother Russia! I have three of them, in .223, 7.62x39 & .308, converted back to their ‘proper configuration.’ All are solid, robust, modestly accurate shooters! All three are set up with Texas Weapon Systems, Gen. II ‘Dogleg’ top cover (VERY PLEASED!). The .223 & x39 are converted to run factory mags ( standard AK mags for x39 & Galil .223 mags ( tougher to come by new adays, but still out there. I discovered that, by comparing the rear mag catch on the factory (Saiga) .223 mag & the x39 mags that the mag catches on the two different rifles could be swapped & normal mag fit up perfectly! Just add a bullet guide & life was good! I could use modestly priced, robust, full-capacity mags! Sadly there was no such fix for the .308! So it’s SGM 308 mags for the 308 shooter! But 1 expensive mag out of 3 is great! I think you can still find .223 Galil mag at Numrich & gun mag warehouse.

Good luck & I hope that this might help someone! I love me some Saigas!

Old SF

tangolima

Never care about those Russians. Not giving them any of my pennies. They are the real POS.

The guns. Wouldn't mind buying them used. Just no more new imports. Same goes to the chincom. Same POS, if not worse.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JohnKSa

Administrator
At this point, no more Russian arms or ammo are allowed to be imported so you're safe. Same for the Chinese stuff, with maybe a few very limited exceptions.

tangolima

At this point, no more Russian arms or ammo are allowed to be imported so you're safe. Same for the Chinese stuff, with maybe a few very limited exceptions.
I know that. Just couldn't bear people calling a president POS over a Russian gun.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A civilian "sporter" AKM built in a Russian factory is probably as high a quality as can be found.
Do some people not realize which country Invented the basic rifle:confused:, and shipped many thousands to client countries during the Cold War?

The only feature I didn't like was the original trigger -- because -- our laws prohibited its importation with a pistol grip.

The trigger bars to accommodate the long finger Reach (from the butt stock) are not a smooth pull, and I didn't have the tool skills to convert the Saiga.

I owned both the .223 and 7,62x39 versions and being nib their quality was certainly as high as anything I've ever owned in a semi-auto centerfire rifle. It's difficult to put in words. Those components were "born" to work together in an excellent manner. Why wouldn't they.....

rc

I fired a 5.56 variant a friend had. Those prices seem very reasonable these days with $1000 mini 14s and 30s. The Saiga I fired was at least as accurate as a mini and probably more accurate out of the box. The magazines are not all that common so see if you can find some spares. I don't believe regular AK mags will work in an unmodified Saiga. The 7.62x39 is a very good cartridge. I actually like it better than 5.56 for general use. 308 has a lot more recoil and is more expensive to shoot if money is a factor.

PAdutchman

I had one years ago in 308. It was fun to shoot, and accuracy was just fine. However that Saiga 308 had the loudest report of any rifle that I ever owned.