Safety Warning - Taurus 145SSP

Gortex

Between the first 10 to 20 rounds ever fired out of PT 145SSP:
What I thought was a spent cartridge that hit me in the face (glasses) when I was firing my PT 145SSP was not.
Seems that there is a dust cover over the firing pin and it flew off when the slide was chambering another round and hit me in the glasses.
I called the gun store where I purchased it to see what the deal was. He said that he has sold about 50 of the PT 145 and that I am the second one that has had that problem (or noticed it). He stated he would order me another one and he said it just snaps in place behind the firing pin. Not sure how importand a dust cover for the back of a firing pin is but you can also see tiny springs and screws above the firing pin.
I think this could put your eye out when not wearing glasses so I think I'll just leave the cover off unless someone has a better idea

Handy

See what Taurus has to say. If you tell them that it doesn't seem safe for carry use, maybe they'll trade you for a different gun or something.

Gortex

Called Taurus just now and they said to send in the pistol and they would check out and see why the slide cap flies out. Lets see I bought it on 3/2, sent warrenty card out on 3/4, and now send pistol back on 3/7. :eek:

shield20

Yep - doesn't exactly make me feel warm & fuzzy about getting a Taurus. No matter how inexpensive. Let us know what they say is the cause.

Gortex

Investigating

After some investigating here is what is coming up.

PT 145 Pro Mil With.jpg
This is how PT 145 looked as purchased (mine SS).

PT 145 Pro Mil  without.jpg
Found this picture in Gun Blast .com. They are reviewing The Taurus PT 145 Pro Mil in 2004 and there Pistol is missing the "slide on". Amazing

PT 111Ti from 2002 without.jpg
Ths picture is of a PT 111Ti from 2002 when Taurus did not use "slide on's".

So basically the pistol is good to go without the "slide on" and most definitely safer without.

WillBrayjr

The original Milleniums were garbage. Out of 12 Mils that were sold 11 came back because of reliability problems and were traded in for something else. The Mil-Pro series are alot better in reliability.

MillCreek

After looking at the pictures, I can tell you that my 9 mm Millennium Pro, manufactured in 2004 and purchased new in 2005, does not have a dust cover.

Trip20

I just bought a Mil Pro PT111 yesterday... it has a dust cover. I'll confirm when I pick it up tomorrow (after 2 day waiting period :mad: ) but I'm fairly positive it had a black dust cover. I read this thread yesterday prior to making the purchase. So I actually looked at the back of the slide for this particular piece.

Trip20

Yep, mine has the dust cover. Put 100rnds of CCI Blazer brass through it yesterday. It hasn't become loose at all. I'll keep an eye on it though. Ate all 100rnds w/out a hitch. I was suprised after hearing all the badmouthing going on about Taurus pistols. This one seems to be a keeper so far.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PT111_dustcover.jpg
    PT111_dustcover.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,725

Wisby

My Pt-140 has the same Cover I have about 1000 rounds through it now with no Jams or flying peices... I actually took it out and abused it pretty bad last weekend. I keep expecting the Sights to fall off or something else to break but it keeps on plugging...
When I first got the Gun I was really disappointed with it but after about 400 rounds I really like it, not sure what happened but the Gun just feels alot better now when I shoot it and I can hit alot better with it now.

20BELOW

3000+ rounds through my Mill Pro 145. With dust cover, no problems. If you let what you read on the internet make you feel good or bad about your decision to purchase a gun, you will feel good and bad every day. It's not like they issued a recall.

Gortex

Dust cover

Without dust cover the PT 145 pro mil fires just fine (never had 1 misfire using 235gr, 185gr, or 165 gr). Prior to the Pro Mil version the pistols were not supplied with dust covers. Just wanted to put the word out that the dust cover can snap off and hit you in the eye and according to the gun dealer I purchased the pistol from this has happened within first few rounds to 3 of the 50 PT145 Pro Mil he sold. I am totally satifiedwith my purchase of this pistol with or without cover and the more rounds I feed through the chamber the smoother it gets.

Trip20

The only thing that sucks about this line of pistols is that Meprolight does not have a night sight that fits! 'least I can't find one.

Trip20

Then they're probably Trijicon. Mil Pro's don't come from the factory with night sights, so you probably bought yours used, correct?

Trip20

How do you figure the night sights were put on the weapon? You think the dealer randomly places night sights on weapons? Or did he do that to inflate the price a little?