Safety Bullet

spanishjames

The Safety Bullet demonstation video shows the inventor using what appears to be a metal rod which you can either take a hammer to and "tap" on it a few times, or jab at the pin with the rod to disengage the locking pin. It's a good idea, but something about stabbing that metal rod down the barrel makes me cringe thinking about ruining the rifling.

I suppose you wouldn't need to lock and unlock your weapon with the safety bullet everyday. Just once or twice to try it, and the next time someone uses your gun without your authorization. I can't think of a reason to need it though. I could either leave a gun lying around:rolleyes: unloaded, or with nothing in the chamber and the magazine somewhere else.

edit: One of the other videos shows a plastic rod being used as well.

Last edited:
Some (many? most?) states require that ALL forearms be locked up if there are children in the house. This makes the keeping of even one firearm readily available for home defense when you're not actually wearing it problematic. It's impossible to predict everything that can possibly go wrong. (Example: the poster above who said his child would have to crawl over his head to reach the gun. Do you take the gun with you when you go to the bathroom at night?)

Several years ago the son of a police officer in a nearby town accidentally shot and killed a playmate with the father's duty weapon. The father thought the weapon had been secured -- obviously, it had not been secured enough in the presence of curious young hands.

That's what this device is intended to address: the problem of keeping a firearm available for near-instantaneous use while satisfying requirements that guns be locked when there are children in the house.

ROGER4314

We dealt with this product in another forum. The members trashed it.

I'm a technician and a real fan of tools. In my garage, I have hundreds of tools any one of which could be used improperly to cause harm. Folks, it's not the tool that is dangerous, it's the person using it!

For me, the basis of this product operation is that the gun is inherently dangerous. Instead of concentrating on education, safe application and securing the tool as one would do with any tool that can be misused, this product disables the tool leaving the operator helpless.

No thanks.......I'm not buying it!

Flash

TimT

I've seen the videos - I have absolutely no use for it, and I would encourage anyone I care about not to use it.

FAS1

For the 4516 I keep in the bedroom, it's a different story. I want to be able to access that gun quickly, in the dark, and put it into action quickly, since any intruder would be seconds away from the bedroom after breaking in a door. I know I can eject the empty mag, load the full mag and chamber a round quickly in the dark. The same lockbox I use for the Model 19 won't work here, I'd never be able to work that combination fast enough, especially in the dark. A trigger lock might work for when we're not home, to keep it safe from the kids, but then I'd need to take it off every night, put it on every morning, and there's still the chance the kids would get a hold of the key.

If the GunVault Biometric pistol safes really work by fingerprint recognition, and can be opened that way quickly without using a key, that is an option. They are pricey, so it might be a while before I get one, and I want to know that it works first. And as someone said, then you have to rely on a battery, or the key for when the battery fails.

No Safety Bullet for me!

My requirements for me when I decided to build a handgun safe are:

1) must be secure and prevent unauthorized access.
2) must not require a key, because keys can be lost or duplicated, and they slow access.
3) must not require batteries, because batteries can lose their charge when you need them the most.
4) must be able to be unlocked in the dark by touch only, within a few seconds.
5) must have versatile mounting options.

These requirements eliminated all except one type of locking mechanism – the Simplex lock. Then we proceeded to build a much heavier box than was available on the market. Most boxes will keep your kids out, but I wanted something to deter a thief a little more than a 16 gauge steel box. Ours is 3/16" (7 gauge) with many other features built in. In addition, we then added a strut to open the door and present the gun to you in the same place and orientation every time so you don't fumble for it in the dark.

Good luck finding what works best for you and glad to see that you want to keep the kids safe.

12421583724691669415992.jpeg

mes227

Sounds like two things: an answer in search of a problem and an accident waiting to happen.

I saw these at the gun show last weekend and had exactly this reaction!

As to making the gun safe around kids, that's probably true for that very narrow age bracket where a child can find, grab and pull the trigger of a gun but isn't yet old enough to chamber a round. So, say, 12 mos to 30 mos? And what it will do in that time is train the owner that the gun is "safe" when in fact he or she is setting the family up for or travesty.

Blackshirts

armoredman said:
Great idea - leave it in a sidearm set out on the table at night, so the bad guy grabs IT instead of using the weapon he came in with

This was the first thing I thought of as well, a revolver with 6 chambers of safety bullets as a lure. However, could this be construed as a booby trap? or provocation? You got him hyped up thinking he has a gun now causing him to be more forceful when you present your gun when you know he has a "unloaded" weapon whereas without it he would likely run away?