Safari Grade Rifles

reynolds357

My .460 WBY was pleasant to shoot. The only pain it caused me was in my wallet. That rifle had one of WBY's unique brake systems I have never seen on another rifle. It had a WBY brake and in addition to the brake, it had magna port type slots cut behind the brake. It was extremely effective at recoil management.

Axelwik

Think I'll stick with my 375 rifles. They'll efficiently kill anything I ever want to hunt, up to and including cape buffalo.

Buzzcook

Did anyone else notice the difficulty some of those people had working the bolt after firing?
If the bolt doesn't cycle quickly and easily it doesn't qualify as a dangerous game rifle.

Now this is the real deal for hunting animals that can stomp you into jelly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsvizH4U26E

On edit: Notice the stance of the man shooting the 4 bore and how high he has the stock on his shoulder. That allows the barrel to flip up saving his shoulder from some of the recoil.

Last edited:

agtman

My .460 WBY was pleasant to shoot. * * * That rifle had one of WBY's unique brake systems I have never seen on another rifle. It had a WBY brake and in addition to the brake, it had magna port type slots cut behind the brake.

Okay, ... :rolleyes: ... another example of a "range-queen-only" SR.

99% of African PHs and their outfitters prohibit you from bringing rifles with muzzle brakes to their hunting preserves. When hunting dangerous game (DG) nobody wears hearing protection, so neither your PH nor his guides want to incur auditory damage from the concussive sideways blast of your highly woosified braked rifle chambered in a DGR cartridge - like the 460WBY, 416Rigby/Remy, et.al.

C'mon, let's get serious ... If you want to hunt DG in Africa, learn to shoot a DGR without the recoil-crutch of a brake.

Best case scenario for your average hunting bubba-boob is to obtain a .375H&H rifle having a Mauser-based "claw"-extractor that's been professionally accurized and had its action smoothed so as not to jam when you need it to go *bang*.

And remember, in Africa nobody is shooting off the bench. You're shooting from standing, like maybe off-hand braced against a tree or bush, or from improvised field positions, like kneeling.

Like any other shooting discipline, hunting DG with a DGR takes serious work.

Otherwise, save your Ernest-Hemingway-fantasy-hunting for the paper DG targets at your local range. No risk of biting or clawing there - and usually you won't have to stop a charge. :D

Last edited:

reynolds357

Well AGT man, I bought that 460 WBY from one of my friends who used it in Africa to take 2 elephants, 4 cape buffalo, and a few more animals. He bought the rifle in that configuration from WBY. Good thing he did not know the hunters would not let him use a brake.
If it makes you feel better, neither my .458 Win mag. nor my .416 Rigby have a brake.

reynolds357

Well, guess he forgot about that. In actuality, the controlled feed is only more reliable than push feed if one is shooting while hanging upside down.

agtman

If it makes you feel better, neither my .458 Win mag. nor my .416 Rigby have a brake.

Look, brake or no-brake, doesn't matter to me.

To the PHs running hunting outfits in Africa, however, it seems to matter quite a bit to the point of prohibiting their use - at least the majority of PHs.

Regardless, before transporting a braked DGR over there for a $25K safari, I'd be absolutely sure to obtain written permission to hunt with it from the owner/operator/PH.

Just sayin' ... :cool:

us920669

It's true, PHs earn their living with their ears as much as their eyes. Mine urged me to forget about magnums for plains game for that very reason. Of course this was the lowveld of Zimbabwe, where 100 yards is a long shot. Namibian guides probably expect magnums.
All my hunting was 1X1 on a private ranch, so I felt like a guest more than a client and I never heard any firm rules about ports or brakes, but I'm sure the concern is there. I think the proper way for all rifles is that you don't shoot until he tells you to, so he can lower his binoculars and put his fingers in his ears.

SHR970

Well, guess he forgot about that. In actuality, the controlled feed is only more reliable than push feed if one is shooting while hanging upside down.

Just like he forgot that The Rem AWR is a Custom Shop rifle that comes blueprinted from the factory. :D

impalacustom

I guess I'm doing something wrong, all these years of shooting without hearing protection and not even shooting magnums or things with muzzle brakes, and have a 25% hearing loss in my right ear.
Also for what it's worth, I've shot a 460 WM of my uncles with and without the brake, no magna-port and it kicks but not that bad IMO. The design of the rifle has a lot to do with felt recoil. My 45 EX will beat the crap out of you more than the 460 WM.