Safari Grade Rifles

FITASC

Retina detachment is not my idea of fun..........and the lack of proper safety gear is something else:eek:
Shooting the DE RH with his right eye closed and no glasses............YIKES; a video on what not to do..

Photon Guy

The shooters should definitely be wearing safety glasses when they shoot and the girl stands all wrong when she shoots.

us920669

The people are getting a little silly but they are exciting guns to shoot. First shot fear is the biggest hurdle, but it all boils down to rifle weight. I had a 505 Gibbs once but I only shot cast bullets around 1200 fps, and a 458 WM that didn't weigh much more than a regular rifle. With full house or factory loads, it definitely announced itself. The most powder I ever burned was 416 Rigby in the Ruger Magnum rifle, with many loads over 100 grs. The Ruger was over 11 lbs and could handle much more pressure than old British loads - 300 gr bullet at 3000 fps, 400 gr over 2700 - but it didn't really kick as much as sort of pushed you, not unpleasant at all. The rifle that hurt me the most was actually a light European sporter in (drumroll please) 308, or maybe the 7 X 61 S&H in again a fairly light rifle.
Something like this was posted somewhere a few years ago. I think it was in a ballistic lab, people shooting through a little window in an acoustic panel room. I think it was the 577 TR, but the rifle didn't look especially heavy. Several people dropped it, or had it fly out of their hands. One guy got bowled over, rolled back and shattered a plastic partition behind him.

reynolds357

Photon guy, she is really not using too bad a stance for shooting the heavy recoiler. She is using limber upper body. If she leans into it she will get rocked.

Photon Guy

Photon guy, she is really not using too bad a stance for shooting the heavy recoiler. She is using limber upper body. If she leans into it she will get rocked.

You're supposed to lean into it when you fire a big rifle, that way you're better able to handle the energy of the recoil. I speak from my own experience, I've fired big rifles and shotguns and when you don't lean into it you really, and I mean really, feel it.

reynolds357

I am speaking from experience as well. I own or have owned a .416 Rigby, .458 Win. .460 WBY. .378 WBY 338-378 WBY, I am 280 pounds and I lean into them. Small shooters lean into them and get clobbered. They have to let their torso absorb the recoil.

Photon Guy

Well today I fired my .600 Overkill for the first time. It will outdo any of the guns in the video except the AR-50. I weigh 200 lbs. and I leaned into it and the recoil wasn't that bad. For a small person they might be better not leaning into it, Im not that experienced on small people shooting big guns.

aarondhgraham

When you say "Safari Grade",,,

What exactly do you mean by that?

Do you mean simply a rifle in a caliber suitable for dangerous game?

I always thought grade meant a particular level of quality/reliability.

Just curious is all.

Aarond

us920669

That's right, when T Rex come back in season I'll be ready. It's hard to put your finger on exactly why people fool around with these things - just the sheer love of it I guess. As you get older it gets harder and harder to pick up 22 cal bullets and position them in the case mouth.
A for the "safari" designation, if it's written on the rifle, you would have to check with the maker to find out what he has in mind. I usually say big bore or dangerous game, and I mean anything above 375 H&H. Most game taken on safaris is plains game and the rifles might be 30-06, 308, or 7 or 300 mag. Original African settlers might have used 303 or 7 x 57.

SHR970

My Rem 700 AWR weighs in @ 8.25 lbs w/ scope. It is chambered in 375 RUM.

Recoil makes a 300WM seem like a 223.

It is fun watching someone who "knows what he is doing, don't tell me how to hold it" light off the 300 grain loads. They usually hand it back after the first round.

agtman

My Rem 700 AWR weighs in @ 8.25 lbs w/ scope. It is chambered in 375 RUM. Recoil makes a 300WM seem like a 223.

A Remington AWR is a wannabe Safari Rifle (SR) at best. Push-feed factory crap. :rolleyes:

Look, 99% of real SRs have undergone some or a lot of customization in order to keep their users alive hunting in environments where the critters will charge you and bite or claw they way through you innards i.e., in Africa or Alaska.

As a species, real SRs are quite spendy. $4K to $6K for magazine rifles, much higher for doubles.

But if all you want is a range queen to shoot occasionally for ****s-n-giggles, and to let your range buds drool over, it doesn't matter - get the Remy or a Ruger.

Here's a real SR in .404 Jeffery, customized from the action up by AHR, Inc. Base action used was the CZ double-bridge Mauser action, which was honed, tuned, polished, and blueprinted. Every item added to the build after that was pure custom.

AHR .404 Jeffery.

Photon Guy

What exactly do you mean by that?

Do you mean simply a rifle in a caliber suitable for dangerous game?

When I hear "Safari Grade" I think of rifles that would be used against some of the largest game in Africa such as Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhinoceros, Hippopotamus, ect.

Photon Guy

So what are you going to hunt with it, dinosaurs.

Possibly. There've been reports of giant dinosaurs in some of the more deep and remote areas in Africa, its up to you if you want to believe it.

SHR970

agtmanwrote:Look, 99% of real SRs have undergone some or a lot of customization in order to keep their users alive hunting in environments where the critters will charge you and bite or claw they way through you innards i.e., in Africa or Alaska.
Some purists would say that if it isn't a double rifle it isn't a real SR.

And whether YOU like Pushfeed or not is your perogative.

Point is that when you get into these calibers, most people have ZERO idea what they are getting into in terms of recoil. Anyone who thinks a 7MM RM or 300WM kicks hard has not fired these levels of cartridge. A 460WM will make most people think they just lost their fillings.

us920669

Well, yes and no. Recoil becomes tamer as rifle weight goes up, and stock design can also make a huge difference. Beware of honeycomb recoil pads, only a solid rubber block will do. And on rifles, I got no argument with a beautiful rifle, but my African PH, who has led many dangerous game hunts, carries an off-the-shelf Whitworth Interarms Mauser in 458 WM. The only custom touch is duct tape wrapped around the floor plate to make sure it stays on.