SA trigger break: glass rod or rolling - which do you like?

P-990

zukiphile said:
On some days, I might argue that both have their place.
Personally, I am not a fan of the glass rod break. For me, I believe it can contribute to flinch, which in turn contributes to reduced accuracy.

In this I appear to be in a small minority.

I agree on the glass rod break not always being ideal. I also don't like a trigger that comes to a dead stop after the sear breaks. The one firearm I ever had with a trigger stop (TC Encore rifle) had the screw removed after about 5 shots. I found the dead stop caused me to jerk the whole rifle off axis while the hammer was falling.

But I've spent a lot of time shooting DA revolvers and 2-stage precision rifle triggers, and found that a trigger with a little movement lets me shoot more accurately than a trigger I have to take a standing start on. The difference isn't major when well supported, but is very noticeable to me when standing.

P71pilot

I like the feel of a good 1911 that only travels about 1-2 tenths of an inch smoothly, then you get to the wall of about 4 pounds and when it break it feels like snapping a glass rod with the pad of your finger (without the bleeding). I installed and fitted a Harrison designs extreme service short black trigger and absolutely love it. It comes with a fixed over travel screw that you file to perfection, after I got the trigger how want, it is perfect. To this day I haven't felt a nicer trigger. It feels about 3.5-4.5lbs and to me is perfect for woods carry/range plinking

Ozzieman

My 30+ year old Gold cup is at 4 pounds and like glass.
My 1955 S&W target 44 sp is rolling.
I like them both and cant really say which I like better

briandg

Does anyone remember that some firearms were created with a roller bearing on the trigger to make a sear that would pull with minimal friction? Optimally, you got both. A pull that could be long and friction free with a break that literally collapsed upon itself.

Nathan

Crisp without the crunch. I know that sounds weird, but you can make a glass rod break without complete smoothness of parts....,but it seems to make a crunch sound/feel. The crunch usually goes away after a few hundred live rounds. I feel it is a hidden grittiness.???

I have a 1911 at 3.75 lbs which has just a bit of roll....it is not creep. It is my best trigger.