SA trigger break: glass rod or rolling - which do you like?

pilpens

Glass rod or rolling single action trigger break - I only hear this when talking 1911. I heard/read that rolling trigger breaks are not too unusual on guns set for bullseye shooting.

I think I prefer the Glass rod break but sometimes I feel like I would do better with the rolling break when shooting fast (this maybe a case of grass always greener on other side of fence).

Which trigger break do you prefer?

745SW

I believe the glass-rod breaking feel has to be with a fairly light pull. My 745's have a sharp break with no creep but the pull weight is probably around 5 lbs.

The revolver tends to have a pull of perhaps 3.5 lbs in SA. Good for the range but IMO not really suited for defense.

springer99

glass rod trigger break = crisp, repeatable = very good:)

rolling trigger break = another word for "mushy" = not so much :p

BigJimP

I like my 1911's to break between 3.5 and 4.0 lbs...with no slack and no creep ( and I want it the same on my range gun -- and my primary carry 1911). Nice and smoothe...

But I've had professional instructors...tell me they like a little creep in a trigger.../ so its all over the board.../ and the weight that the trigger breaks at is often discussed and debated on here too...

44 AMP

Staff
`Have heard about the glass rod trigger break all my life. It's the perfection a good trigger seeks to achieve.

Never heard of a "rolling trigger break" until now. (perhaps I don't get out enough?:confused:)

Just what is a rolling trigger break, if not this..??
rolling trigger break = another word for "mushy"

I've had professional instructors...

"Professional" implies a lot of things (knowledge, competence, ability, etc.,) but it only guarantees one thing, that the professional gets paid for doing it.

What is "best"? It make a difference how, and where, the gun is used. The best (meaning most useful/most practical/ "safest") trigger pull for 8,000ft up a mountain in -13 degree temp is not the same as the best for a 78 degree indoor target range, nor the best for a concealed carry defensive weapon.

"Glass Rod" refers to the "feel" of the break, and not to the weight of the pull. A smooth 8lb pull with a glass rod letoff feels better (usually described as feeling "lighter") than a gritty, stagey 4lb pull.

So what is a "rolling" trigger break? Rolling, to me implies movement, as in, it doesn't stay in the same place. IF this is what you are talking about, why would anyone want that????

pilpens

I am guessing that a "rolling trigger break" is a trigger pull with very smooth creep. I think this is accomplished by having longer than usual hammer hook and rounding either the sear or hammer hook edge.
"glass rod break" --- to me --- trigger pull with no perceptible creep with crisp break.

TBT

I don't know if I'm using the term correctly but I've used "rolling break" to describe the SA trigger on my CZ P-07. It's light and smooth but doesn't have a distinct break. I can't feel an increase in pressure needed or "wall" if you will. It's seems like the same pressure start to finish. Almost gives you a surprise "fire" when the gun goes off. Can't really remember if it was like this out of the box or not. The trigger as a whole has cleaned up a lot. DA and SA are both very smooth and lighter than they were new though.

It doesn't bother me. A good glass break would be optimal though I guess.

Jim Watson

A "roll trigger" has a strong minority following in US bullseye target shooting. Some old guy name of Brian Zins, for one.
I understand it is more common in Europe, it may have been imported here with ISSF guns considered more modern than the Woodsman.

zukiphile

Neither is bad.
On some days, I might argue that both have their place.

Personally, I am not a fan of the glass rod break. For me, I believe it can contribute to flinch, which in turn contributes to reduced accuracy.

In this I appear to be in a small minority.

mrray13

In SA, or striker fired, I like a little creep (or take up), and the that solid piece of glass where you know just a bit more pressure and the glass breaks clean, with no overtravel preferred. That way I can stage the trigger right there for follow ups.

On my 642, DAO of coarse, I like the smooth rolling break. I've polished my 642's internals, and it's trigger is just that. One smooth pull with very little perceived "wall" (gotta be pulling sloooooooow to feel it) before a surprise break. For fast DAO, I think that's the only way to roll, pun intended. And for SA (and striker) I think the crisp glass rod is the way to go.

243winxb

Roll or as the Russians called it many years ago , pull through, is a very light trigger with a lot of travel/sear engaugement. I did one on a Ruger SBH. Works very well, but a lot of work to get it right.

WC145

My 1911 triggers are set up to have a very, very small amount of essentially zero resistance take up to the point they stop and require 3.5lbs (+/- an ounce our two) pressure for a clean, crisp "glass rod" break with no noticeable overtravel. I wouldn't have them any other way.:)

Vt.birdhunter

Ive got a Spider Firearms trigger group in an AR lower. Trigger has no "wall" or "shelf". Just smooth even pressure until the trigger breaks, almost unpredictably. Its fantastic. From a bench, it out-shoots my Timney trigger.

Applying firm pressure that suddenly breaks (glass rod) can result in movement of the firearm at the time of break. A slow, smooth roll results in even pressure on the firearm through ignition.