SA Milspec

bitttorrrent

Are happy with your Mil spec choice.

Where is it compared in price to the loaded, range officer and of course my someday goal of a trp?

just curious if you are good with yours or wished you have moved up a notch. Don't get me wrong, I am all for a good solid not-expensive 1911 for me to see what all the extra things really do.

Marquezj16

@bitttorrent - Yes very happy with mine. I can't exactly recall whether mine cost $599 or $649. I know that was cheaper than the loaded at a different store. I feel good with mine as it is my first. I just like to tinker and I think 1911s have the after market items to customize it a little or a lot based on what you want.

WVsig

To answer your question no. As far as polishing the ramp, just a little white rubbing compound or even tooth paste on a rag and use your finger. Using the before mentioned method you would have to rub for years before you removed enough metal to change the feed ramp angle or damaged it.

I agree the method you are describing would take a lifetime to damage the angle of the ramp but how many people go straight to the dremel. :cool: People bugger their guns all the time by polishing this polishing that.

I'm looking more at drop in parts. So not too much bubba smithing. At least not yet.

Even "drop in" parts requires some fitting. The point I am trying to hammer home is that unless you are familar with the platform, its specs and how it functions making changes too often takes 100% functioning pistol and turns it into a bubba.

As Don P stated things like thumb safeties & grip safeties are not drop in. Doing your own trigger job without a good understanding of the sear and hammer spec and engagement again is a perfect way to destory a part.

It is not that one cannot do these things but it requires more knowledge than a lot of people assume.

WVsig

Got your message loud and clear. Thanks.

I have a question for you. Do you routinely detail strip your SA to the frame? Are you good at it and can you do it from memory? To me this is the first step and one should be able to dissasemble the gun to the frame without issue before attempting any modifications. If you can do this then get the Kuhnhausen manuals. MidwayUSA sells paperback versions for about $25 a book. They are a solid reference tool.

If not practice and then get the books.

Take your time and do it right.

Casimer

I can recommend the C&S 'Trigger Pull Sets' as well. They're pre-fitted, polished, and tested on a Series 70 frame and then heat treated. I've installed them on a Mil Spec and a Sistema. Neither required any fitting on my part - though you shouldn't count on that.

Fitting an oversized trigger is another relatively easy upgrade that will produce a noticeable improvement on a stock Mil Spec.

Factory Mil Specs are notorious for very heavy triggers that are typically a little rough. I suspect that SA recognizes that many Mil Spec buyers are intending to upgrade the pistol in any case, and so doesn't bother putting much effort into the set-up of the trigger.

bitttorrrent

Does look pretty nice. I think the only thing that I would be centering on is the front strap I believe stippling.

Not sure if needed but I do really like that same effect on my polymer frame.

But all depends on upper end of price and the Mil Spec looks pretty good.

Marquezj16

I disassembled it down to the frame. Man, stuff get's in there. It took me a good bit of time as I was making sure I remember each step and sometimes putting things back in after removing them to make sure I got it right before moving on to the next step.

Cleaned everything and light oil before reassemby. Things went pretty smoothly. Functioned check both safety and trigger. It's all good.

Now I know this does not make me an expert so I will be taking it slow with any parts that I change out.

Don P

Thanks, I was looking at getting Vol 1. trying to find one at local bookstore so I don't have to order. Also I have been watching a lot of the Brownell's videos and some others. Just taking in the information before I get started

Brownell's or Midway. When I asked Barnes & Noble they looked at my like I had 3 heads. I could not find any book store carrying the books. You will find most gun books like the spoke about are only carried by Brownell's and Midway

WVsig

Brownell's or Midway. When I asked Barnes & Noble they looked at my like I had 3 heads. I could not find any book store carrying the books. You will find most gun books like the spoke about are only carried by Brownell's and Midway

The current printings appear to be from a small run printer. It is IIRC what they call a perfect bound book. They are limited runs and I think they send them mainly to gun oriented retailers like MidwayUSA.