SA Milspec

Marquezj16

This is my first 1911 and I'm learning along the way. It's been accurate and realiable for me. For those who own a 1911, what "do it yourself" upgrades have you done to yours to improve the trigger and/or function.

Hardcase

I've done nothing to mine. It's worked flawlessly from day one. I figure that if it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it.

lee n. field

This is my first 1911 and I'm learning along the way. It's been accurate and realiable for me. For those who own a 1911, what "do it yourself" upgrades have you done to yours to improve the trigger and/or function.

How many rounds down the tube so far?

If less than 1000, I'm thinking, don't customize for a while yet.

WVsig

I personally do only minor cosmetic things or minor repairs to most of mine myself. I have changed grips, change springs, replace firing pins, mainspring tweaks, extractor adjustments, mainspring housings and even swapped a thumb safety or two but most of the real tunning I leave to a gunsmith.

I do not really enjoy that aspect of owning 1911s and I get a very good price from my go to guy on parts and discount of labor so it costs me not much more than the parts would cost me on my own.

I don't have a sight pusher so I don't touch those either. LOL

If you are looking to do your own work get a hold of the Jerry Kuhnhausen Colt 1911 shop manual a set of punches, a set of stones, a sear jig and a set of calibers. If you are into it and are patient and do not mind the ocassional rebuying of buggered parts you can change out almost anything.

All that said shade tree or table top gunsmithing ruins more 1911s than anything else.

Last edited:

g.willikers

Assuming that you have studied the design, checked the articles at the 1911 forums, watched the how tos on youtube and even splurged for the service and Kuhnhausen manuals, what exactly does your gun seem to need?
Does the trigger have a lot of creep?
Is it too heavy a pull?
Is the let off vague?
Is the gun picky as to ammo?
Something else not up to par?

Marquezj16

How many rounds down the tube so far?

I'm up to about 2k so far.

Does the trigger have a lot of creep?
Is it too heavy a pull?
Is the let off vague?
Is the gun picky as to ammo?
Something else not up to par?

I'd like to make the trigger smoother and lighter in pull.
It's not picky with ammo and I've shot 185 HP, 200 HP, 230 (FMJ RN/FN, HP) factory and hand loads. Pretty accurate when I do my part. Zero problems. I'd like to just change some parts that would maybe improve it's function.

HKGuns

I only did two things. I changed the rear sight because the three dot sighting system on this platform is different than my HK's. I replaced the rear sight with one that doesn't have the white dots, so I'm not trying to line up the dots like I do on my HK pistols. The second thing I did was replace the grips. You can see in this picture where I had the rear sight reversed until I received the new rear sight.

Altamont makes some swell grips.

p865700750-5.jpg

Marquezj16

Changing parts

I was thinking of changing grips (Pachmayr) and a guide rod (Wilson Combat).
I don't know if I'll like the grips but it's not an expensive swap and it's not permanent. I'm curious as to what full length guide rod would do for function.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 604649.jpg
    604649.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 274
  • 683445.jpg
    683445.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 264

Dino.

I like the grips you have better than the Pachmayrs.
As for the full legnth guide rod ... IMO, the only thing it would do is maybe add a little weight to help control muzzle flip, but nothing significant. Again, my opinion.

If it were my MilSpec, I'd probably install a match trigger, hammer, and beavertail grip.

JMO

BTW, that's a beautiful gun. :)

Marquezj16

@Dino - any suggestions for trigger, hammer and beavertail grip?

I was also thinking of changing out the recoil spring to 17 or 18.5 lbs...

WVsig

@Dino - any suggestions for trigger, hammer and beavertail grip?

I was also thinking of changing out the recoil spring to 17 or 18.5 lbs...

Just about any trigger will work. If you are going to replace the hammer I would get a C&S drop in hammer sear disconnector set. The anle on these are already cut and require just a small amount of prep work in get just right.

The beavertail is going to depend on the actual radius of you gun. If it is off it may require machining which will require refinishing. Again look for "drop in" parts. I personally like Ed Brown beavertails.

Don P

Polish the feed ramp, grips, ambi-mag release, swap out the main spring housing, grip safety, thumb safety, and slide stop lever to SS parts. Gives the parkerized pistol a nice look in my opinion.
Photos are before the ambi mag release was installed

Last edited:

Marquezj16

@DonP - Nice looking pistol. I agree the SS parts do give it a nice touch.

I know a lot of people talk about polishing the feed ramps. Is this necessary if your pistol is functioning 100%?

WVsig

I know a lot of people talk about polishing the feed ramps. Is this necessary if your pistol is functioning 100%?

It is not necessary and IMHO again more people damage their pistol by polishing it too much and changing the angle.

Again unless you know what you are doing you will end up bubbaing your pistol.

Don P

To answer your question no. As far as polishing the ramp, just a little white rubbing compound or even tooth paste on a rag and use your finger. Using the before mentioned method you would have to rub for years before you removed enough metal to change the feed ramp angle or damaged it.

Marquezj16

@HKGuns - for some reason I did not see the picture of your 1911 until now. Nice. Like the grips.

@DonP - sounds easy enough. Probably won't be doing it though.

@WVSig - I'm looking more at drop in parts. So not too much bubba smithing. At least not yet.

Don P

I'm looking more at drop in parts. So not too much bubba smithing. At least not yet.
Some small parts will drop in. Most do not "drop in" grip safety, thumb safety to mention a few may or may not need to be fitted along with the barrel. If you plan on doing some work these 2 books are a must Jerry Kuhnhausen Volume 1 and 2. Volume 1 is loaded with all you could possibly need.

Marquezj16

Thanks, I was looking at getting Vol 1. trying to find one at local bookstore so I don't have to order. Also I have been watching a lot of the Brownell's videos and some others. Just taking in the information before I get started.